The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #226
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by badpeanut View Post
Is the difference the diameter of the center hole? I had problems putting 6-lug '71 up wheels (from a four wheel drive) on a '69 (two wheel drive) because the center hole was slightly too small.
I think it's more than that. Not sure dimension wise, but the older style is smooth on the outside and newer is finned. Same up to 74. After that they are bigger and wider.

I've been searching high and low for the replacement drums. I thought I had a line on used ones, but both fell through. So I started looking at all of the available manufacturers, collecting part numbers, comparing prices, etc. For anyone interested, here are the part#s that fit a 71-73 K-5 or K10 truck.
Raybestos 2067 or 2067R
AC Delco 18B471
Bendix 140255
Napa equivalent of the bendix one is # UP 6401200
Wagner BD60292
Qualis 8821 This one supplies a few of the parts stores under store brand names and are usually listed as the same part #.

I found a pair at autopartsnerd.com for about $78 shipped to my door. Used ones were going to cost about $20 each. I also picked up new cylinders, shoes, a booster check valve and hardware at napa for about $65 for a total brake parts outlay of $143. So the total spent is now at $836.

If it ever quits raining out I'll be able to work on it. It has been about 50F or colder and raining for about a week now. Ick.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:24 AM   #227
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

My brake drums came in today, and it was chilly, but dry. I decided to get these back together now because it's supposed to be colder yet this weekend. It's about 30F right now and my daughter said it's trying to snow a little. Anyway, I had all my parts out for the rear and was having trouble remembering how to put them back together. I'm not clueless, but it's not just coming back to me either. It's been a couple weeks, ya know. The Haynes manual was basically worthless. I've got an old Chiltons book that basically saved me with some real good drawings.

I replaced the one busted line, and got the rear brakes all back together with new parts. I inspected the lines going all the way to the master cylinder, no kinks, bulges, or other issues. But there is no flow from the master cylinder. I took off the line from the master cylinder to the prop valve and it's dry. So now I'll need to find a master cylinder or a kit to rebuild it. Yippie.

I'm running out of time before winter really rolls in. Think I'll try and strap that exhaust on and finish the brakes up and call it a season. I may still work on it some this winter. I've been spending a lot of time this past week insulating the garage ceiling (walls already done) and ordered a propane conversion kit for the heater I picked up this summer. Put a couple lights on it to for the driveway and by the walk in door.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 10-10-2009 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:43 AM   #228
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

This is way too early for this.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:40 PM   #229
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Too cold to work outside today, so I worked inside and finished insulating the garage ceiling. I did buy the new master cylinder, $15 at autozone, part# M1494.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...me=Fenco+Reman

Maybe I'll get it in sunday, when it's supposed to get into the 40's. Yahoo!

Total spent now $851.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 10-10-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:59 PM   #230
VA72C10
VA72C10

You better be careful, you're gonna have a grand in that thing before you know it

I'd like some snow here...but not when it will hold up the progress of my project.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:44 AM   #231
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA72C10 View Post
You better be careful, you're gonna have a grand in that thing before you know it

I'd like some snow here...but not when it will hold up the progress of my project.
Yeah, it's all those extras that are killing me. Nice headers, roll bar, beauty rings, etc. I know your kidding, but the thing is, I could have saved some money here. I probably could have saved the rear shoes, that was about $24. They were in pretty good condition really. The drums might have been usable, I just could not get them off without damaging them (too impatient). Thats $78. The cylinders were shot, and the hardware is cheap insurance. All together I could have saved $302 on these things and only have $549 in it. That money could have been used for some good tires or any of the 100 other things this rig needs.

On the flip side, I would have had to spend money on the exhaust with the manifolds, where now I can use the stuff I'm getting rid of from my truck. The brakes should be reliable for years as long as it gets driven once in a while.

As far as snow goes, I really appreciate the beauty of a bright snowy landscape. I've had a lot of fun in the stuff over my life. But now is not the time. Our average temp now should be in the 60's, and still be getting those warmer days in the 70's and 80's occasionally. We have been in the 40's for almost 2 weeks. The next 5 days is forecast for more of the same.

Our leaves haven't even all dropped yet and I may end up raking the yard wearing a parka. I've only seen this happen once before and that was a nasty winter. I think it's the one where MN broke a 100 year low temp mark at -60F. I helped my parents move to a new house that day. The high that day was -33F. Those Canadiens can keep that kind of weather.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:38 AM   #232
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Finally got something done tonight. The weather is still not cooperating, I just couldn't stand it anymore. I made new lines for between the master cylinder and prop valve. I hate making those things, the bends are so tight and there isn't much room. Bench bled the master cylinder and got that stuff all back together. I found a brand new set of brake pads in my garage, so I swapped those into the front driver side, and replaced that bleed screw. The passenger side ones are fairly new I think, not much wear anyway. Did an initial bleed on the rear brakes. Put the wheels back on and got the rig off the jack stands. By that time, I was tired and wet and tired of being wet, the light was gone, so I called it a day. I'll fire it up and take a test drive tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it will be alright, might need more bleeding. I got good flow through the lines though. I just hope I got the rear brakes put back together right. I'm 95% sure. I still may take the drums off later to replace the rear axle seals and fix the adjuster tensioner, which wasn't sitting quite right on the adjuster. Minor details. Spent more for the new brake line parts I needed than it cost for the master cylinder. Kind of sad really. Spent about $20 more for that stuff, so the total has crept up to $871.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 10-17-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:11 AM   #233
VA72C10
VA72C10

Glad to hear you made some progress. Hope the test drive goes well.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:21 PM   #234
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Test drive...successful.

I spent a lot of time today cleaning the rig out, and putting stuff into it for storage. I was going to start installing the exhaust, but ended up stopping almost immediately because the header flange is a 2.5" and my exhaust collectors are 3". The local parts store didn't have the right ones in stock, so I have to order some and install next weekend.

The best news of the day though, is that I found indoor storage for my stuff over the winter, for FREE! One of my neighbors past away this summer, super nice old guy. His son lives out of the area but has been coming down on weekends to clean out the house, etc. I talked to him today and he said I can use the garage. It's about 50 yards from my own.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #235
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Not much happening here. Just got the header reducers on the other day, but had trouble getting the old exhaust parts apart and fit in, so I said the hell with it. Drove it around the block and parked it in the backyard.

On another note though, I found another parts blazer and made a deal to get that in a few weeks. It has a broken frame, it could probably be repaired, but there are so many other things wrong, it is hardly worth it. The main feature on that rig is the aluminum slots that come with it. There will be other parts that can be saved, or sold, but I love those old slots. It's possible the rear floor is in better shape than mine too and I could end up using the tub or at least part of it.

I'll also be getting a double wall top for my 2wd blazer that is in good condition with a pretty decent hatch.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 11-05-2009 at 09:16 AM.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:43 AM   #236
lks dcvn

Nice work!- I haven't touched the brakes on my 72 Blue 4x4, but I need to eventually...

I wanted to get the body mounts worked out first - done.

At some point I will check on the brakes - the PO 'fixed' them prior to driving it to me from Columbus (some 200 miles or so) - so it is stops - just takes a bit of time to do so...so I know it needs checked.

The PO replaced the booster, MC (with the wrong one - not for front disk), and a rear wheel cylinder.

I am not looking forward to snow here at all - I will likely be moving my 'garage cars' into another storage place for the winter to work on the 72 4x4 this year while the snow flies in my garage.

Keep going with the updates - even small steps towards the finish line get you closer than not doing anything at all.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 07:12 PM   #237
Sacramento70
Blazer Fanatic

any updates, its nice to see a classic comes together
Old 01-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #238
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Not really. I was trying to start it and drive it over to a friends place to store with a tarp over it, but it wouldn't stay running. It was starting very hard and even after warming up would die as soon as I put it in gear. Sounds like carb problems. I ended up burning out the starter trying to get it to go. Got fed up so I towed it out of the back yard and to the guys place. I have another parts blazer that is currently sitting in my neighbors driveway. It has a much better tub and will be swapped to this frame come summer. I may end up building a fairly decent ride out of this mess eventually.

I'm still mulling the idea of swapping the engine with the one I rebuilt. The one in it is pretty weak and I had no luck selling my rebuilt short block. I want to get some good breathing heads for it, maybe some vortecs, and I'm thinking about doing a TBI swap on it.

The parts blazer comes with 35" BFG's on some nice aluminum slots. The body is banged up some but not that rusty.

Once things warm up around here I'll be back at it. For now I'm doing the body work on my C-10 in a heated garage.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 01-27-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #239
70stroker

looking good. keep up the good work.

I wish i could find a 4x4 blazer around these parts.
70stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:15 PM   #240
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

For those who thought this thread was dead, or just forgot about it, here it is again. I started pulling the new parts blazer apart. Getting the garbage out of the way and getting it ready to pull the tub off. I'm almost there.

Old 04-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #241
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

If you think I'm a lucky scrounger, you should see the guy that lets me keep my pile at his shop. He found a car trailer for $100. Then was talking to a guy he sold a 1979 Z-28 Camaro to several years ago. It was a mostly rust free Texas car. The guy put an engine in it, that never ran right, so he parked it in a barn, where it sat until yesterday. He traded the car back to Vern for the trailer Vern got for $100. It's beat up pretty good, but still rust free. Love the MAGS!

Old 04-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #242
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

As far as the jimmy goes, my plans for this summer are to swap the bodies, maybe even splurge for sand blasting since it will all be apart. Get the tub in epoxy primer to seal it up. If I can get a good deal on some vortec heads for the rebuilt small block, I'll probably get that swapped in also. I might try and find a deal on a driver side bed side.

If I get the body work done on my C-10, I'll start the body work on this afterwards. It should be a solid runner by next summer.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #243
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I almost have the parts blazer stripped down. I still need to take the torch to some things on the frame. Then the broken and useless stuff will go to the recycler. That roll bar was a lot stronger than I thought. I lifted the whole tub with the doors, seat, push bar, bumper, spare tire and other misc stuff in it by a chain from the middle of the bar.

The tub is set aside for now. Once I get past my oldests graduation party I can start pulling the Jimmy tub off and make the swap.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:32 PM   #244
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

The grad party is over. The inlaws are on the way home. So I can get back to my projects. Last winter I was trying to start this beast up and move it out to winter storage, but it just would not stay running enough to move. It would start, but backfired and had zero power. It died as soon as it was in gear. The starter was fried, so I towed it over instead.

I bought a new starter last week and got it installed tuesday, but the battery was too dead to turn it over. So I tried again today to get her going. I got it to start, but it had the same symptoms as last winter and I could not figure it out. I was thinking a timing problem because of the backfiring. So I'm standing on the bumper leaning over it and notice a cap missing on the vacuum connector behind the carb. Which turns out to be the problem all along.

Lesson learned at the cost of a burned out starter. I drove it around a bit and next I'll start working on the body swap.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #245
Tynee
I miss this truck.

So, at the risk of bringing up a slightly painful subject, where's the budget at now, new starter and all?

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #246
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynee View Post
So, at the risk of bringing up a slightly painful subject, where's the budget at now, new starter and all?
Not really that painful. I was at $871 last fall. I traded a pair of fenders for the parts blazer, figure a value of about $150. But the rear axle is sold for $75. There are also more parts to sell yet, I just haven't got to it. The starter was $47 I think.

Total right now would be $993. I have to sell some seats (non-blazer), rallye wheels and tires, seat belts, roll bar (from +73 blazer), power brake and steering set up, front axle with disk brakes, bumper brackets, other odds and ends, which will bring the total cost back down. And the scrap value also for whats left.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 06-11-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:23 PM   #247
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

The guy I bought the last parts blazer from had an extra double wall top for it that I didn't have room on the trailer for, so I finally got that picked up today. Thanks again Ryan. The best part of it is the hatch, which has some reinforcement plate rivited on by the handle, but is otherwise in pretty good condition. The top is not bad, has a couple cracks, but is repairable. I have a pretty good single wall on the jimmy now, but the new tub is set up for a double wall top, so I'll have to decide at some point which one to use.

Old 06-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #248
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Completely frustrated right now. I went over to the lot and I was supposed to move it to another area, but it wouldn't start. It wasn't getting gas, then the battery was dying. So I get some gas and jumper cables and it pops off for a bit and dies, over and over. Kind of how it was acting before. I'm pretty sure it's getting gas, but acts like it's only firing on one or 2 cylinders. Played with the timing, looked over the vacuum connections again, no luck. I quit trying before I poured gas all over it and lit 'er up.

I need to just start the body swap, and get my rebuilt short block ready to go and quit trying to dick around with a bad engine. I've been working on the C-10 body work lately and trying to get it ready for paint. I'm hoping to have it painted this summer, and get it back together before winter. Then the jimmy goes into the garage for some real work.

I'm also in the middle of refinancing and possibly buying another lot to build a new shop on. I found out today about another building that might be for sale that would make a good storage building, but too big to heat.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 06-15-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-22-2010, 05:29 AM   #249
nuke1

AAARRGGGH!!!! Some days things are frustrateing, good luck with the financing, I wish I could get another lot for a new shop!!!
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:00 PM   #250
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke1 View Post
AAARRGGGH!!!! Some days things are frustrateing, good luck with the financing, I wish I could get another lot for a new shop!!!
Unfortunately, the lot is off the table for now. The seller doesn't want to separate. The realtor is using my interest to help a prospective buyer. If she can tell them that I will buy it from them after closing and they can get some cash back, etc.

We'll wait and see, could be a long wait in this town. Property is not selling fast.

On another note, met up with badpeanut today to deliver the rear axle he bought. He drove his 72 GMC longbed all the way from Jamestown to get it. Believe it or not, I had a GM 12 bolt in the trunk/rear seat of my brand new taurus. Thanks again Wes, I know you have been looking for that axle for quite awhile. Nice to have met you.

I also sold the swivel buckets from the parts blazer on ebay for $90. Bringing my total cost down to $903. Once I have my C-10 all in epoxy primer, I'll start doing the body swap on the Jimmy.