The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2017, 11:53 AM   #1
hillshooter

Quick connect or compression fitting for air ride?

I was just wondering about the pros and cons of each. Most quick fittings i see are only rated for 150lbs. What is everyone using?
Old 02-09-2017, 02:42 PM   #2
Overdriven

Re: Quick connect or compression fitting for air ride?

By quick connect I assume you mean push to connect or push lock fittings. When I see quick connect I think air tool style quick connects.

I prefer compression over push to connect. Compression is more permanent, that ferrule isn't going anywhere. You can disconnect and reconnect as many times as you want without damage and for me it's easier to do. Downside is the ferrule can cut into the tubing, especially plastic tubing and the ferrule is one time use.

Push to connect is simple and does work. Just make sure the tubing is installed straight into the fitting with no sharp edges. Push the tubing in at an angle at all and you can damage the fitting. Downsides, they're more sensitive to making sharper turns close to the fitting. The more you disconnect and reconnect the more likely they'll leak. They're also more sensitive to tubing size. Tubing is manufactured to a specific dimension but the actual dimension doesn't always match the spec exactly. Get the wrong combo of tube and fitting and they won't work well. With compression you can usually still get a ferrule on tubing that's slightly bigger than it should be and if the tubing is undersize just tighten the nut more to compress the ferrule more.

I bought my truck with a cheap air ride system on it, not sure of the fittings but there is at least one slow leak. If I stay air ride I'm going hard line with flare fittings. It's more expensive and tedious but I already have the bender and flare tools ($50ish total, nothing fancy it's a basic setup) so might as well. Flare can take the most pressure, has best reliability and nothing beats the look of hard lines installed cleanly.
Overdriven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:57 PM   #3
tinydb84

I have never had a compression fitting leak. I have had PTC fittings leak. Maybe I am just not as lucky as the people who have good results with PTC fittings.
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
hillshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdriven View Post
By quick connect I assume you mean push to connect or push lock fittings. When I see quick connect I think air tool style quick connects.

I prefer compression over push to connect. Compression is more permanent, that ferrule isn't going anywhere. You can disconnect and reconnect as many times as you want without damage and for me it's easier to do. Downside is the ferrule can cut into the tubing, especially plastic tubing and the ferrule is one time use.

Push to connect is simple and does work. Just make sure the tubing is installed straight into the fitting with no sharp edges. Push the tubing in at an angle at all and you can damage the fitting. Downsides, they're more sensitive to making sharper turns close to the fitting. The more you disconnect and reconnect the more likely they'll leak. They're also more sensitive to tubing size. Tubing is manufactured to a specific dimension but the actual dimension doesn't always match the spec exactly. Get the wrong combo of tube and fitting and they won't work well. With compression you can usually still get a ferrule on tubing that's slightly bigger than it should be and if the tubing is undersize just tighten the nut more to compress the ferrule more.

I bought my truck with a cheap air ride system on it, not sure of the fittings but there is at least one slow leak. If I stay air ride I'm going hard line with flare fittings. It's more expensive and tedious but I already have the bender and flare tools ($50ish total, nothing fancy it's a basic setup) so might as well. Flare can take the most pressure, has best reliability and nothing beats the look of hard lines installed cleanly.
Thanks for the Info. I have compression fittings but haven't installed the airline yet.