The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2014, 12:29 AM   #276
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's thread of miscelaneous stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatwagon83 View Post
the truck with the flames on it has ohio historical tags on it
Yeah, I noticed that too. The truck next to it had montana plates, another had Illinois I think. That place gets vehicles from all over and transports them around. A couple pages back they had a 72 blazer that was from Florida and going to Wyoming.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 01:40 PM   #277
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

My son plays guitar and he's been getting pretty good at it. I had my youngest girl in lessons when she was little but the interest waned and she doesn't play anymore. My dad always played and even if it was the same 20 or so songs us kids always loved it. I played a little as a teen but didn't stick with it.

Anyway, with my son really taking off with it we make trips to Guitar Center up in the cities every so often and seeing all those gorgeous guitars has made me super jealous of the boy and his talent. I've been telling myself and the wife I want to learn to play for a couple years now. This winter I have picked up my sons acoustic and played around with it enough that I know I want to continue.

A couple weeks ago I stopped at the Edina Guitar Center by myself. I had some time to kill between inspections so why not? I found 2 guitars that I really liked. I don't play enough or know enough to know a good guitar from bad and price isn't always the best indicator. Yesterday after we left the motorcycle show the boy and I stopped there again. One of the 2 I liked before was still there. I really shouldn't use the word like. It doesn't go far enough.

I LOVED it at first sight. I loved the look of it, the feel of it. And the price wasn't terrible either. Donovan played it and he really liked it too. One of the sales guys came by and half joking I asked if they have a lay away plan. He said "Oh yeah!" We talked about the terms etc. and I said "Let's do it!"

I just couldn't leave that store again thinking someone else would buy it. The 1st time that thought popped into my head after looking at dozens of guitars over the past few years.

So $100 down payment and hopefully I get a good tax return to cover the rest. My new ax...

A little info about the guitar... http://www.prsracing.net/about-prs-racing/

Bike show pics to follow. We had a great time and saw some very cool bikes.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #278
Low Elco

That's TIGHT! And a PRS! Nice ax! I had a Mexi-strat and a 30-watt Marshall. It was a nice rig. What amp did you get?
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:36 PM   #279
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
That's TIGHT! And a PRS! Nice ax! I had a Mexi-strat and a 30-watt Marshall. It was a nice rig. What amp did you get?
Thanks man. No amp yet. I have time to shop around. My son has a small fender mustang with some nice features. Will probably look for a used 1 or clearance. Loop recording would be nice. I'm not gonna be gigging so I don't need big power.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:13 PM   #280
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I promised pics from the bike show, and I'm finally getting around to it. These are just some of the highlights. There was a lot to see. I'm gonna try and lump them into categories.

How bout some old school choppers?

This one was really cool. Called Twister I think. Everything on it was turned square bar or twisted in some way. Even the exhaust tubes were wrapped around each other.

The drive belt even had artwork...

Bigger newer style bikes...

This one reminded me of a set of china plates or a tea set...

This one had just about evry cliched paint on it you could think of plus others you wouldn't think of...

Green...

I'm not sure what this look was supposed to be. If it's mimicking something, I don't know. But it was used throughout the bike, even the gauge faces.

It had rain drops or beads of water painted into it. Pretty cool.

Some kinda racer I think...

The next 2 are customized versions of the same bike, I dig the fat front tire look.

I loved the look of this thing...

This one was my sons favorite of the new bikes. He's 18 now and big as a horse. And he liked this little 250 with the old school standard style. It was the only one he wanted to sit on.

Electric bike, empulse it's called...

Cool...

Rotary powered suzi...

Huffer power adders on classics were on display too. Supercharged Honda...

Turbo'd kawi 750...

Turbo'd Kawi KZ1300...

More of an uber old school power adder style. Pedal power? First moped?

This one hit a soft spot for me because its like the first bike I got to help my dad put together. I was in Jr high and he got a pair of junker CB 450's with frozen motors and we made 1 good bike out of the 2.

And last but not least, an AWD bike. Not sure how reliable it would be for rough country but an interesting design and engineering to say the least...

Last edited by hgs_notes; 01-28-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:05 PM   #281
Low Elco

That street tracker Yamaha all day long, please!
Old 01-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #282
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Here's some pics from the past coupe weeks on the road. Everyone has been dealing with colder than normal weather. I've logged over 3000 miles in the past 3 weeks in this fun stuff.

It got a bit blowy...

Nice and sunny out!

Beautiful sunrise

But it was a bit nippy out...

Just another work day though. My highlight for that day was getting a great deal on this baby though...

Found it on craigslist. Was kinda surprised cuz it was a month old listing. The kid selling it was a student at the U of M and had graduated and was moving, couldn't take it with him. He left it with a friend that was still on campus and I got it for half of the new price. It's only a year old and had barely been used. Line 6 Spyder IV 30 watt.

Low Elco will love this. I got it home and found my kids octave drop foot pedal, hooked it up to his guitar set the amp to insane and figured out part of this groovy tune...

This one was taken last week shortly after I was almost run off the road by a jack-knifing semi. I was behind 2 trucks and we had just exited I-35 by Clear Lake, IA. I was moving to the left lane to make my way past when the lead truck just went sideways across both lanes. We were not moving fast, maybe 30 mph. He steered into it. His trailer stayed straight behind him. He didn't over do the brakes. He slid like that for about an 1/8 mile and actually recovered it. Others weren't as lucky. It was a long slow drive the next few hours to Waterloo.

Then Sunday we had a heckuva blizzard roll through. 40 mph winds and steadily dropping temps. I was kinda hungry for some smoked pulled pork though, so I used some scrap peg board I had around to make some wind barriers on the deck.

Got the coals going and I was able to maintain the needed heat...

It turned out great! Had some of the leftovers for lunch today and it was even better...

When I put the meat on it was about 15F out. By the time I took it off we were at about 0 and it sounded like a tornado was coming through town. Here is a look south from my driveway. You can just make out a house on the left that is half a block away. There are others past it.

A couple shots from yesterdays travels. They just opened the highways out of town about half an hour before I hit the road. Overall the roads were good though. The plows did a great job.

This is a green truck with a red bed. You can see some green on the door bottom...

Drifts as high as the car roofs...

A few cars didn't make it home the day before though...

I had a stop at an engine rebuilding shop. Heres some blocks waiting for assembly...

The head shop. When I asked the mechanic there if his parents were bothered when he told them he worked in a head shop, he didn't get it.

Out back was a cool AMC buried in the snow...

In the shop (they do full mechanical services also) was a pretty nice Olds. Really a great looking car, except for the wheels. Me and the mechanics agreed, too donkee...

I was at a ford dealership a little later and they had this sweet lincoln on display...

Anyone remember this company? They don't do the 4x4 conversions anymore but I kinda wish they still did...

Whenever I see this sign I think of a blind guy driving with the deaf guy giving him directions, but he cant drive cuz he doesn't have a license. Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder?

I had to work saturday too. And even though I've driven through Blooming Prairie dozens of times, I didn't spot these cars until that day. Cool old Ski-doo also.

Couple more from Faribault. A GMC longhorn...

Postcard mural of a river scene that was about 100 yards away from this pic...

That oughtta do it. Catches me up to date. Spring is just a few months away!

Last edited by hgs_notes; 01-28-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:36 PM   #283
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Nice batch of photos today. Some cool bikes and some colder weather. I don't know how ya do it. California could use some of that snow though our resovoirs are getting pretty low. Thanks for today's adventure.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:58 PM   #284
flashed

Nice pics ,I enjoyed the ride.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:26 AM   #285
Low Elco

Mmmmm... Love me some big fuzz tone. You gotta get an Orange amp next, I hear that's the key. Living Legend is one of their best examples.

Nice Amp! The Kid has the same one, it's nice! Good deal.

That engine shop sure brings back memories. First job when I was 15, 40+ hours a week. I've eaten more than one lunch off the top of an SBC block.

Winter Armageddon in ATL, They're runnin the smoker in Minn. LOL!

Great pics, thanks for the update. I greatly enjoy them.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #286
earl84

IO love the Deaf and Blind signs. Missing the one for the Dumb. Get it, Deaf, Dumb, and Blind, haha.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:08 AM   #287
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Nice batch of photos today. Some cool bikes and some colder weather. I don't know how ya do it. California could use some of that snow though our resovoirs are getting pretty low. Thanks for today's adventure.
Your welcome. Gotta remember that winter is a third of our normal year. We are used to it. Makes us appreciate summer so much more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Nice pics ,I enjoyed the ride.
Stay on the bandwagon then. There is always more.
Quote:
Mmmmm... Love me some big fuzz tone. You gotta get an Orange amp next, I hear that's the key. Living Legend is one of their best examples.

Nice Amp! The Kid has the same one, it's nice! Good deal.

That engine shop sure brings back memories. First job when I was 15, 40+ hours a week. I've eaten more than one lunch off the top of an SBC block.

Winter Armageddon in ATL, They're runnin the smoker in Minn. LOL!

Great pics, thanks for the update. I greatly enjoy them.
Sunday was just a little colder than average and windy and visibility was bad because we had 4" of fresh powder the night before. It's not something that comes once or twice a decade like ATL. All of us northerners just shake our heads at the antics and hysteria that happens south of us for weather we would consider pretty mild.

I do feel bad for them though. It's just not something they are prepared for and all it takes is a few people to screw up the highways for 1000s of drivers that would probably handle it just fine.

I will try an orange amp next time I get to guitar center. BTW, grilled steak for dinner last night. Our high yesterday was 3F. The fire don't care much if it's 0 or 90F when its burning at a few thousand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl84 View Post
IO love the Deaf and Blind signs. Missing the one for the Dumb. Get it, Deaf, Dumb, and Blind, haha.
There are plenty of dumb signs out there to see. LOL
Old 02-04-2014, 08:05 AM   #288
nuke1

I agree. All of us that tolerate winter enjoy our summer toys so much more I think. We are so envious/jealous of everyone that can use theirs year round! Lol. However on the flip side. I have been down there in summer and I am not sure how anyone can handle that humidity and heat!! So it goes both ways.
J.J.R.H. Design & Consulting

My 68`Rebuild "HAVOC": http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=316300
A 58' chev build thread: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=311238
1969 Camaro Pro Touring http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...61#post3513361
Swiss Cheese: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=384390
Adjustable Trailing Arm How-To: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=321100
1968 Ford Farm Truck: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post6555587
nuke1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:44 AM   #289
earl84

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke1 View Post
I agree. All of us that tolerate winter enjoy our summer toys so much more I think. We are so envious/jealous of everyone that can use theirs year round! Lol. However on the flip side. I have been down there in summer and I am not sure how anyone can handle that humidity and heat!! So it goes both ways.
Amen, brother. I have lived a lot of places, and the folks in the south for the most part go from air conditioner to air conditioner, just like in the north they go heater to heater. It is NO fun outside when it's 100 degrees and 90 percent humidity. Pros and cons both ways, for sure, but I plan on selling the place here near Dallas and heading to the mountains of Colorado, hopefully this summer.
earl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:59 PM   #290
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Time to load some pics up again. I haven't been out and about as much this month. And the places I have gone I have already posted pics of. But I have a few things from the past couple weeks and another farm load of old iron to share.

I will start with my less than optimum driving conditions. Out on the prairie, when the wind blows, there isn't much to slow it down. The pictures are actually far better looking than the actual visible conditions the eye has. For whatever reason, it captures the still image showing less snow than how the eye interprets it.

This pic was taken in a complete white out condition. I couldn't see the road at all. The camera actually helped visibility.

I spotted this about a block off from main street as I was rolling through Delhi.

This panel truck was sitting in the woods a few miles south of Granite Falls.

The Intl belongs to my friend Vern. He shortened the bed (unfinished) and I think it's on an S-10 chassis.

This old military truck was in the alley just south of the highway through Sacred Heart.

I drove through Belview this morning and I like their little train depot. The little track car thingy is pretty neat.

I have more pics to upload later. Time to do my taxes.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:17 AM   #291
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Here's the next batch. I've been driving past this farm near Montevideo for a few years and have wanted to stop and check it out. Tuesday I had the time, but it was cold, about 0* and the forecast for today was in the 20's, so I waited. When I got going this morning it was 28F and the warmest morning I can remember in quite awhile. But it was windy (see above pics). And that wind switched from SW to NW meaning a cold front was coming in hard. Hour and a half later the temp dropped to 13F and it was near blizzard conditions.

Did that stop me? Of course not. Too dumb and thick skulled. I got cold enough to make my ears go numb and my fingers ache, but I got the tour from the owner. Nice guy. The farm is his, but I think he lives in another place near by. He pulled in while I was there. I think he's used to people dropping in for a look though. When he pulled into the yard he just got out of his truck and walked down to the water tank to fill it for his cattle without so much as a glance my way. He ambled over to me a few minutes later. Anyway, about 15 years ago he got bit by a studebaker bug and was severely infected. Unfortunately there is no cure.

He got 5 cars out of a junkyard this past summer when the owner died and the family sold out. He said it was all he could afford to save from the crusher. He got a tow truck out of Wisconsin off ebay. Another off craigslist in Montana. I saw plates from SD also. Out of all the vehicles pictured he claimed 1 supposedly was a runner but he hadn't started it himself. And another was a runner and drives, but doesn't stop. He has another 2 drivers that are stored at the fairgrounds and another in the garage at his other place. So what we see here are the possible rebuildables and parts cars/trucks.

I've always liked the studebaker car styles myself. Not so much on the trucks. Enough yammering on, lets look at some pics...

These 2 are the easiest to spot from the county road...

A pair of trucks in the yard...

This one is holding up a couple trees so they don't fall over...

Looks like he got a deal on some wheels and wanted to see how they would look. *****in'

This is probably the oldest one he had and it is pretty rough. I have doubts that its restorable...

Wagons are coming into fashion again. This one might be a bit rare...

A stude bus. He said he and his son were planning to take this to a national stude show in 2012. His son had just finished mechanic school and had rebuilt a diesel from a hummer to put in it. At the moment it has a chevy I-6 in it. The motor never got swapped and I think he felt bad about the lost opportunity but the dream is still alive.

More of the collection...

And more...

He has another ring shed like this one that he hasn't built yet to get more of his collection out of the rain and snow. Here's a closer look at what's inside. This one has a car front end and a very snug fitting bed. So close it almost looks like a version of the el camino. He said there was another version of it that has a wider bed. This one looks like a stepside and the rear tires are a wider track than the front. The other version might be more like a fleetside but wider than the cab. Weird.

Mostly trucks in here...

Gran Turismo...

This one I really liked. 2 door, short wheelbase, looks good. I'd build it...

This one is just funky. Not so much from the front...

But check out this rear window...

Its a Studebaker Starlight model.

There were more cars in the bushes and snow banks, but believe it or not, even a Minnesotan can get cold. And my host had things to do also. I will definitely stop in again in better weather and maybe get a look at his drivers.

Enjoy the pics.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:50 AM   #292
Ol Blue K20

I'm glad I'm sitting in front of the fire looking at these pics....I've always had a soft spot for Studes...thanks for the ride...

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Old 02-14-2014, 04:30 PM   #293
Low Elco

Neat studes!
Old 02-14-2014, 04:39 PM   #294
rambler
MOVE OVER

awesome love the pics !
Old 02-15-2014, 02:07 AM   #295
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
I'm glad I'm sitting in front of the fire looking at these pics....I've always had a soft spot for Studes...thanks for the ride...
You're welcome.
Quote:
Neat studes!
uh huh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambler View Post
awesome love the pics !
Thanks.

Last weekend I had to work saturday morning. And it seems I'm almost always working when the local snowmobile club has their hill drag races. Even though I was late to the party I got to watch an hour or so of the fun. This isn't something you see everyday. You get to watch from the comfort of your chairs...

I have some pretty cool still photos too I might get posted later. My Sony camera will do a burst mode of 10 fps which is cool for a lot of things like races.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:08 AM   #296
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I've got a few pics that I forgot to put up earlier. Nothing real spectacular, but whatever.

First is the Owatonna airport display. Seeing old warplanes or other military relics is common all over the US, but I think this one is pretty unique.

That same day I stopped at a body shop in Waseca. This coat rack was cool...

In back was a chevelle getting a complete restoration. The owner is a local woman and it belonged to her husband, who passed away a few years ago. He used to drag race it, but before that it was the car he had when they met and began dating. She is having the shop restore to the condition it was when they met.

A different day I was inspecting boilers at a barley malt plant. This is their lobby in the office building...

This is a snowmobile trail groomer and was smoothing things out between heats at the snow hill drags.

Selfie...
Old 02-20-2014, 12:13 AM   #297
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Yesterday I got to bring this home. Today I finally got to play with it. Now if I can just teach my short fat fingers to go where they are supposed to I might be able to make beautiful music with it someday...

So far the highlight is that my son came in and told me to play 4 notes repeatedly and he jammed with me. He's working on writing his own stuff now. He's got some talent. Me? Not so much.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:48 AM   #298
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Monday I had to go to Lake Norden, SD. New territory for me, never been there before. So there must be lots to see that I hadn't driven by a hundred times already. I spotted a few things on the way there, so on the trip home I had a few stops to make.

First was a welding shop by the highway right in that town, which had a few old cars/trucks out back. It was hard to tell in the snow but I think there were several frames for bikes/trikes/go-carts, etc out in the weeds too. Think thats a 57 chevy though.

The lumber store was right nearby and they had an old chevy painted up and parked out front to draw in customers...

Just east of town I spotted an old GMC grill in a farmyard, so I stopped there too. The property owner was a retired guy that has had a long infatuation with GM products and loved to talk about them. Turns out the GMC belongs to his grandson. They swapped a 454 into it last summer. And the have a rust free bed to put on it. Looks pretty good, but does have a few rusty spots. Nice driver for sure.

Behind the truck out in the snow was an impala SS I think.

There were a couple sheds/garages on the east side of the yard that had stuff parked behind them also. Like this square body and a 60 impala. He said the 60 had been restored several years ago. He let his son drive it once and he broke the exhaust and he parked it, then never got around to fixing it. He starts and drives all his old cars every year he said.

The weather has taken its toll on it though.

On the east side of another shed was a 64 Catalina 2 door.

The non-matching door and fender is the handy work of his son again. Drove it into a ditch the day he got his drivers license. This could have been 20 years ago, btw. This car is for sale if anyone is interested. I have more pics and the owners number. He wants $3500 for it. Was a 389 bored out to over 400 ci, 4 speed automatic, complete car. Needs work, but I've tackled worse jobs.

After looking at the stuff parked in the snow, the owner is yelling at me from the porch to go into the shed and look at his firebird. His pride and joy apparently...

In the corner of this shop was his lounge area with his diecast collection...

There was more stuff out in the field and next to another shed, but I was 150 miles from home and had more to see. He would've talked all day if I had let him, and if I had the time I just might have, but not that day.

I have a few more places to post up that I saw that day, but it's getting late. Maybe tomorrow. Something to do during the next blizzard.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:43 AM   #299
OSM 70 C20

I could look at you pictures all day. Right up until the boss asks me to box up my desk and go home...
Great pictures, looks like a lot of travel. You even get up towards my neck of the woods!
OSM 70 C20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:16 PM   #300
Ol Blue K20

Thanks HG nice pics and some cool cars but the selfie you look like a terrorist. ..LOL

Dale

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man