The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-01-2014, 06:46 PM   #1
tattooboy37

Fuel Pump vent holes leaking gas

63 c20 w/ 283 . I recently noticed gas leaking from what appears to be vent holes on the upper part of the fuel pump. I've been having a loss of fuel under heavier throttle unless I ease into it. It has been driving me nuts because I recently rebuilt the carb. put in a new inline fuel filter ect. I've been chasing the carb for the last couple weeks and am pissed at myself if its the damn pump all along. In the course of the project I remember cleaning all the built up crud from the fuel pump while installing the new lines. Could the holes have been plugged before and not allowed fuel to escape? If my friend puts his fingers over the holes and I work the throttle it doesn't seem to want to sputter. if he removes his fingers and I open it up you can tell the air/fuel mix is off and it wants to die. at idle it is leaking just a little and when the throttle is opened up it seems to suck air and not be delivering enough fuel.
Is the pump shot or do/can those vent holes be plugged. the replacement ones online appear to have a recessed spot like a hole, but it looks plugged up. Is that vent necessary cause everything is perfect when my friend blocked them w/ his fingers.
tattooboy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
63burban
Chevy addict

Re: Fuel Pump vent holes leaking gas

Pump is shot !
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 07:43 PM   #3
ncoonen

The pump diaphragm is ruptured so the pump needs to be replaced. When you put your finger over the leaky vent hole, it is able to make enough pressure to feed the carb. Covering the hole is not a fix though and you need a new pump.

...ned.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
Trsmotrhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncoonen View Post
The pump diaphragm is ruptured so the pump needs to be replaced. When you put your finger over the leaky vent hole, it is able to make enough pressure to feed the carb. Covering the hole is not a fix though and you need a new pump.

...ned.
X2. I wouldn't run/drive it anymore either until it's replaced. That diaphragm breaks and gas will squirt everywhere.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=544174
Trsmotrhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 08:12 PM   #5
firemanjimtfd

I have had to replace the fuel pump on about every 66 truck I have had. The new ethanol fuel is rough on them and rubber hoses. Also check the oil to make sure its not pumping gas into the motor.
firemanjimtfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:27 AM   #6
tattooboy37

Thanks guys, I figured it was done. at least they are cheap. I'll check/change oil to make sure. I was gonna replace my water pump soon anyways since it sounds a bit rough like the bearings are shot. might as well do it all while its down.
tattooboy37 is offline   Reply With Quote