The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
64509chvl

Cut springs to lower...

I've got a 70 chevy that was already lowered with 2.5 spindles & shackles along with a leaf taken out. I want to drop the front another inch atleast! I'm thinking a half a coil cut will drop the front an inch...My question is if I cut the spring, (half coil) the spring obviously won't sit in the pockets rights? Or just set it in the lower pocket & where ever the top ends up it is what it is? I assume it's no big deal...just thought I'd ask!
Posted via Mobile Device
64509chvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: Cut springs to lower...

Align the TOP of the spring.
There is a "D" shape up in the spring pocket,... that must be "clocked" correctly with the upper part of the spring.
Let the bottom go whereever it goes.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #3
64509chvl

I just realized this...thanks for the info though! Just wasn't sure if the pocket was like that or not & wanted an idea before I did it. Appreciate it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
pudula

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Align the TOP of the spring.
There is a "D" shape up in the spring pocket,... that must be "clocked" correctly with the upper part of the spring.
Let the bottom go whereever it goes.
I'm going through the same thing, but was worried that if I cut the bottom of the spring, the contact on the A arm will go from a full circumference to just a small pressure point - any issues on the A arm holding up under this pin-point stress?
pudula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by pudula View Post
I'm going through the same thing, but was worried that if I cut the bottom of the spring, the contact on the A arm will go from a full circumference to just a small pressure point - any issues on the A arm holding up under this pin-point stress?
No.
I've been cutting 1/2 coils or 1-1/2 coils for a LONG time.
It's not a precison fit by any means.
Even in the stock configuration.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:04 PM   #6
Ziegelsteinfaust

The only thing I will add is I like to cut springs in a bucket of water that way the heat is pulled out fast so the spring doesn't de-temper. I also like to use a angle grinder with the thin blades "1/16", but some people prefer the 1/8" version.

I have probably cut 50 pairs of springs, and quite a few of those were trimmed again too. We cut a pair of C20 springs for a friends C10, and even though I cut through it in like 30 seconds it de-tempered. Where as the other spring was fine, but ones I cut in a bucket have never failed me. Out of the 10 I did with no bucket of water I had 2 failures. So I went to the bucket. The first failure I had was complete inexperience of a 17 year old gear head, and the second I don't know.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
leddzepp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
The only thing I will add is I like to cut springs in a bucket of water that way the heat is pulled out fast so the spring doesn't de-temper. I also like to use a angle grinder with the thin blades "1/16", but some people prefer the 1/8" version.

I have probably cut 50 pairs of springs, and quite a few of those were trimmed again too. We cut a pair of C20 springs for a friends C10, and even though I cut through it in like 30 seconds it de-tempered. Where as the other spring was fine, but ones I cut in a bucket have never failed me. Out of the 10 I did with no bucket of water I had 2 failures. So I went to the bucket. The first failure I had was complete inexperience of a 17 year old gear head, and the second I don't know.
This is how I did mine. Also used C-20 springs in a C-10, cut off a full coil. Zero issues, I am very happy with the outcome.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
TexasSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust View Post
The only thing I will add is I like to cut springs in a bucket of water that way the heat is pulled out fast so the spring doesn't de-temper. I also like to use a angle grinder with the thin blades "1/16", but some people prefer the 1/8" version......
I 100% agree. Heat kills springs & a bucket of water & a thin grinder wheel is the way to go. The only way I've ever done it & I've never bad a bad spring afterwards.
TexasSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #9
64509chvl

Well I just got done cutting 5/8 of a coil off each spring...drove around for a bit & it settled at 1.5 inches lower than it was, just need the rear leaf stuff to show up now! I also put the c-notch plates in today. Sure looks like the top plate of the leaf pack that slides over the u-bolts is gonna hit the frame where the c-notch is...maybe just trim as much off as I can.
Posted via Mobile Device