The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-31-2017, 01:41 PM   #1
NeoJuice

Lokar 1942-1954 park brake cable U-Cut-To-Fit

Hello Everyone,

I've searched the site & google up and down and cant find any pictures of anyone who has used the "Lokar 42-54 U-Cut-To-Fit" rear park brake cable kit. I have a GM 10 bolt trams am rear end with 1980 Cadillac seville rear disc brakes with integrated parking brake. I want to use the original floor park brake and cross shaft connection and use the exterior frame rail connections and cable brackets.

Can people please add links or pictures so I can see how the install is. There are no instructions on the Lokar site and I would like to know if this will work before ordering the cables. Also for anyone running similar rear disc brakes/rear end.

I've thought about ordering custom cables from controlcables.com but I'm not sure on the measurements.

Any help would be appreciated then I can update the thread once I get the cables and install them. This might help other people down the road.
NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 01:52 PM   #2
dsraven

Re: Lokar 1942-1954 park brake cable U-Cut-To-Fit

do you have a Greenline Hose store in Edmonton? the one in Calgary will custom fab the cables for you. an aircraft supply place could probably do that as well.
set the truck at full droop for the rear suspension and then use a piece of stuff hose, like fuel hose, for mocking up the outer lengths. figure out what you will need to use for ends that will retain them into the brackets, then figure out how much longer you need the inner cables to be and what type of ends you will need on them. if you have the original cadillac cables you can re-use the return springs on the end of the cable if there were any to start with. you can also get adjustable threaded ends installed on the othetr end if you think you may need them, or just the old ball style that fits into the cross bar under the cab. you could even run a wire inside the hose to estimate the length required for the inner cable. once you get it figured you can drop the parts off at the hose place and you are done till they call for pick up.
or, alternately, you could walk the pick n pull for a day and check to see if you can find a stock cable that would work. like an s10, camaro, sierra or whatever that has read disc
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
NeoJuice

DsRaven,

You are always a wealth of knowledge. There is a green line hose & Fittings store in Edmonton and there just around the corner from my work so I'll give them a call or go over there and find out if there willing to make me a set for my truck. I'll post up some pictures and information once I talk with them tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:41 PM   #4
dsraven

ya, I thought there was a greenline in Edmonton. maybe ask them what they have for inner fitting ends and outer cable frame bracket connections so you know what to expect. maybe a catalogue or a link to their supply may help, ity would have sizes of the holes needed in the frame bracket etc.
let me know how it works out, just so I can pass it on if needed. and, a pic would be great to see what you have on both ends for connections.
good luck.
Old 06-07-2017, 03:18 PM   #5
NeoJuice

DsRaven,

I went to the greenline Edmonton location today at lunch. They don't have the equipment at the Edmonton location to make the parking brake cables or brake lines. I think I'll get in contact with Edmonton clutch and brake and see what they have to offer. He said he could do it but it would need to be shipped to Calgary and back which is no help to me right now.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:13 AM   #6
Fiftee3

I just did the Lokar's. EXCELLENT! Mines a 53.
I bought the black ones. Took 20 min first side, 15 the other.
I will take pics if you want. I will also detail an explanation of the install if needed. Very easy to hook up to original cross brace and cable mounts.

My 53 IFS air bagged Upgrade Here

One of my threads for this build...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...12#post7662512
Fiftee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:33 AM   #7
NeoJuice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftee3 View Post
I just did the Lokar's. EXCELLENT! Mines a 53.
I bought the black ones. Took 20 min first side, 15 the other.
I will take pics if you want. I will also detail an explanation of the install if needed. Very easy to hook up to original cross brace and cable mounts.
Fiftee3,

That would be awesome. As I've mentioned before I've searched google and this site up and down and cant find any pictures of an install and how they connect to the calipers and cross shaft.

It would be much appreciated. I talked with a guy yesterday at Edmonton clutch and brake and they have a universal parking brake kit but I'm not sure if it will work or not.

I will keep this thread updated with any information I find out as well.

Thank you Fiftee3. I will forward to the update.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #8
Fiftee3

Here ya go...
First, you will pull the steel cable out of the housing and set it on the side.
Attach the backing plate end and tighten the nut you place on the inside fully.

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  102.9 KB

Remove one of the nuts from the threaded rod piece and insert it into the retaining brake on your truck. Adjust nuts so rod is as far forward as it will go. (First red arrow).
Place the ferrule nut into the threaded rod. (Second red arrow).

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  54.0 KB

Take the end of the housing and hold it up to where it will approximately slide into that nut. I gave about 1 inch extra. Mark and cut. Try cutting the very tip first for practice. I used a very good pair of Snap-On dikes. Cut right thru. There is a cable winding inside with a plastic coating inside. I took a small screwdriver into the end to ream out the fresh cut. Sounds hard, but is simple. You could also tape it and cut thru with a thin cut off blade in your grinder.

Next, insert the cable into the housing from the inside of your brake assembly. Push it thru. It will go very easily. Attach the spring end to your Park Brake Assy. Pull it thru the threaded rod. Take the end piece with the allen screws and hold it up to where it will screw onto the front piece. Mark the cable about ¼’ past the second allen screw. (Fourth red arrow) You will cut it there.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  72.9 KB

(Important here is you want to have to pull the cable under slight tension to attach and screw it onto the forward rod. Also, you don’t want the cable to go to far past the second screw as it will block screwing this onto the forward rod assy. (Third arrow) Make sure your brake pads are fully adjusted as well)
First red arrow is where the Lokar kit attaches. Second arrow shows the rod assembly. The nuts that hold it onto the mount are welded in place from Lokar.
Again, practice on the very end of the cable as you do not want the cable to unwind. Instead of cutting it, I chose to wrap a small piece of masking tape around cable and slowly cut thru with a grinding disc, letting the blade do the cut without force. It will be a perfect cut. Thread thru the tip, tighten both allen screws tightly and thread the tip into place.
This all seems or sounds complex. If you have good common sense, and are fairly mechanically inclined, it’s a simple operation! Did not take long at all and cables are terrific!

My 53 IFS air bagged Upgrade Here

One of my threads for this build...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...12#post7662512
Fiftee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:46 AM   #9
NeoJuice

Thank you for the great information. I picked up some universal cables on Monday from a local brake shop that should work. They are a cut to fit like the Lokar cables.

I hope to start getting them installed this week. I pulled a pull rod assembly out of a 1950 Chevy truck on Sunday and just got it installed on Monday night. Now my original floor pedal in the truck moves the cross shaft correctly back/forth now I just have to adjust my calipers then I can make up the parking brake cables.

I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #10
dsraven

sounds like you have a good handle on it. too bad the greenline thing didn't work out. good to know though.