The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain > LSx Swaps

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2023, 02:24 PM   #1
norville

Is there a cheap way to pull my data?

Hey all, I picked up an already swapped 1986 C10. Lots of road kill on the install but that's not the point. What I'm trying to figure out is what exactly was or wasn't turned on on this CPU and not have to buy another CPU or get an expensive program.

It has magic marker written on it, being set up for a manual and an HP tuners save file.

While cleaning up the mess I've added dual fans, a VSS signal generator, and I'd like to add AC eventually as it was a factory AC truck. It's a 5.3 and th400 seems to run well. The wiring harness is an ebay special so all the wiring I needed was available. My current plan is to fire it up and let her get hot and see if the fans kick on.

My coworker was big in HP tuners a few years ago and was all set up, but he said something changed with them and he can't pull the data now? He's using PC hammer currently and said they may not be compatible.

I'm a bit new to this and that's probably dangerous. I'm not even sure where to start. Do Ebay CPUs generally leave everything active if not requested to be turned off? Anyone know?

thanks

bob
Old 03-07-2023, 10:02 PM   #2
Jason Banks

Re: Is there a cheap way to pull my data?

If you know someone with HP Tuners, I'm pretty sure you can read your file and at least look at it without buying credits. Someone let me know if I'm wrong.

Your other option is a combo of programs. Visit: https://pcmhacking.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=42 and read around this is where the free tuning is being discussed.

Found this video on the subject. There are others
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4TybWavYW4

I use PCM Hammer to clone my PCM using the OBDLink LX.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 09:22 AM   #3
clay68c10

I'll second what Jason said. The free tuning programs are great for what you're wanting to do.
05 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. 3” lift & 6-speed
02 E320 the insurance total “free car”
13 Tahoe LTZ
clay68c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 10:35 AM   #4
Joyridin

If your buddy's version of HP Tuners is older than the version that was used to load in the tune, it will give you an error message right off the bat.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 07:38 PM   #5
norville

Thanks , he has an older version of HP , but this cpu is an unknown.

We may try to pull the data and see what's what.

Thanks all
Old 03-11-2023, 02:34 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I have an older version of HPTuners and I don't have any problem scanning and saving tunes off of any stock ECM's. I have never tried one that was previously modified by someone else but I don't think it would make a difference. I just can't re-write without using 2 credits @ $50 each unless it is one I have previously modified.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-11-2023 at 02:53 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 09:36 AM   #7
Pulse_GTO

You should be able to read the tune information with either HP Tuners or PCMHAMMER. HP Tuners will cost $100 in credits to make any changes where it will be free using Tunerpro as long as an XDF file us available for the OS that us on your computer. PCMHacking.net has most of them available for download.

The file you currently have is probably set up for a manual transmission as your truck has a non-electronic automatic transmission. Also your friend should have no problem reading your current file directly from the computer no matter what software version was used to write it. Now if the saved file you have was done with a newer software version that what he has, he won't be able to open it. No need to update his software, keep the current version and just read directly from your computer. They took some parameters away that only come back after you take a course. Also a version newer than 4.0ish will force a firmware update.
Pulse_GTO is offline   Reply With Quote