The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-16-2015, 12:02 PM   #1
bvb69C10

Chevy Windshield trim 69-70 vs 71-72

Can someone tell me the difference between the stainless 69-70 windshield trim compared to the 71-72 trim? The windshields are the same and the rubber is the same without the trim for 1967-72 model years. But when you look at the part numbers for trim and and rubber seals with trim the 69-70 and 71-72 differ. The reason I'm asking is I have a truck that's part 69 and part 72. Even though the plate on the cab matches the stamped number of the frame as being from a 69 I'm not convinced that the cab isn't a 72 with a transferd plate. That's why I'm trying to figure out the difference so I can purchase the correct seal to match my trim.
bvb69C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #2
leddzepp

Re: Chevy Windshield trim 69-70 vs 71-72

The 67/70 trim seats deeper in the gasket than 71/72, that's the only difference. The only way to tell which trim you have is to pull it out, which requires removal of the windshield. Just purchase both seals if you don't know, and return the one that isn't correct.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:27 PM   #3
bvb69C10

Thanks for clearing that up. I think I'll take your advice and get both. I'm changing the glass out too so better safe than sorry. I like your login , Zepp just so happens to be my favorite band. Hey, I'm 54 what can I say.
Old 12-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #4
brown7373

It was missing on the front of my truck when I bought it, but had rubber for the stainless that was loaded with sealer to fill in the groove for the stainless. So I bought repro 71-72 stainless and by mistake got 69-70 front rubber. I had a glass shop install the new windshield and they had a major problem with the stainless, and as previously mentioned, the depth of the rubber gasket and stainless tabs is different for the 69-70 and the 71-72. So I had to purchase 71-72 rubber. As long as you have 71-72 rubber and 71-72 stainless, or 69-70 rubber and 69-70 stainless it will work. I don't think when it is done it will look any different.
brown7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:08 PM   #5
bvb69C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown7373 View Post
It was missing on the front of my truck when I bought it, but had rubber for the stainless that was loaded with sealer to fill in the groove for the stainless. So I bought repro 71-72 stainless and by mistake got 69-70 front rubber. I had a glass shop install the new windshield and they had a major problem with the stainless, and as previously mentioned, the depth of the rubber gasket and stainless tabs is different for the 69-70 and the 71-72. So I had to purchase 71-72 rubber. As long as you have 71-72 rubber and 71-72 stainless, or 69-70 rubber and 69-70 stainless it will work. I don't think when it is done it will look any different.
Good point. Maybe I'll by both the trim and the rubber seal instead of two different seals with the intention of returning one. Do you remember where you bought the seal and were you happy with the fit?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2015, 01:26 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvb69C10 View Post
Good point. Maybe I'll by both the trim and the rubber seal instead of two different seals with the intention of returning one. Do you remember where you bought the seal and were you happy with the fit?
Posted via Mobile Device

I wouldn't buy the repo trim. From what I read it doesn't fit too well and makes the windshield almost impossible to install.

If the doors on your cab look like they are original the '72's had a screw on the inside of the door, just below the wing window. '72 is the only year that used this screw. Also on the '72 the rear view mirror would be glued to the windshield instead of screwed to the metal above it....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:43 PM   #7
bvb69C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
I wouldn't buy the repo trim. From what I read it doesn't fit too well and makes the windshield almost impossible to install.

If the doors on your cab look like they are original the '72's had a screw on the inside of the door, just below the wing window. '72 is the only year that used this screw. Also on the '72 the rear view mirror would be glued to the windshield instead of screwed to the metal above it....

LockDoc
The drivers side door has the screw the passengers doesn't. The mirror is on the glass but the inside of the cab has been painted so the screw holes may have been covered,and the mirror looks like the generic one LMC sells. I also have tilt steering, not available in 69, but the column was blue and other parts of the truck were green. Did 71-72 models still have the fresh air vents on the side panels below the dash board that you manually open and close?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #8
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
The drivers side door has the screw the passengers doesn't. The mirror is on the glass but the inside of the cab has been painted so the screw holes may have been covered,and the mirror looks like the generic one LMC sells. I also have tilt steering, not available in 69, but the column was blue and other parts of the truck were green. Did 71-72 models still have the fresh air vents on the side panels below the dash board that you manually open and close?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, they had the vents....

Is the SPID label still on the inside of the glove box door? Does the VIN match any of the others on the truck? The partial VIN on the frame would be on top of the frame by the steering box....

LockDoc

-
Old 12-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #9
kehstr

Quote:

LockDoc
Does anything reproduction fit correctly anymore
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:44 PM   #10
motorcritter

Went through this when I had a glass shop install a windshield on the '72 Cheyenne. They got a nice piece of properly tinted glass, but ran into problems with the trim fitment. I told them that there were two different seals, and once they tracked down the proper trim, all was well. The price didn't change, I think they were happy to have been able to do it, and only took a few days to get the right stuff in. Drives me nuts when I have to educate some shop, but I don't like doing glass installations. Now, at least the 'kids' at that shop know something that may come in handy, in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device
motorcritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 08:00 PM   #11
bvb69C10

Quote:
Yes, they had the vents....

Is the SPID label still on the inside of the glove box door? Does the VIN match any of the others on the truck? The partial VIN on the frame would be on top of the frame by the steering box....

LockDoc
No label on the glove box but the frame numbers do match the VIN on the inside of the door frame below the latch that's held on with two rivets. The truck has been painted black and it has the CST trim package that a 69 would have . The vin plate was either removed or taped very good because there's no sign of over spray so it makes me wonder
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2015, 08:06 PM   #12
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
No label on the glove box but the frame numbers do match the VIN on the inside of the door frame below the latch that's held on with two rivets. The truck has been painted black and it has the CST trim package that a 69 would have . The vin plate was either removed or taped very good because there's no sign of over spray so it makes me wonder
Posted via Mobile Device

Are the rivets holding the VIN plate on round or are they fluted. If fluted they are probably original, if round they have been replaced.

LockDoc

-
Old 12-16-2015, 08:40 PM   #13
bvb69C10

Quote:
Are the rivets holding the VIN plate on round or are they fluted. If fluted they are probably original, if round they have been replaced.

LockDoc
Can you be more specific on what a fluted rivet looks like ? Does it have hole in the center?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2015, 10:27 PM   #14
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Can you be more specific on what a fluted rivet looks like ? Does it have hole in the center?
Posted via Mobile Device

Instead of being round or smooth on the outside edge of the rivet it is scalloped or fluted. Like this....
Attached Images

-
Old 12-17-2015, 08:30 AM   #15
bvb69C10

Quote:
Instead of being round or smooth on the outside edge of the rivet it is scalloped or fluted. Like this....
Thanks for the picture. It's crystal clear now. Unfortunately, I'm getting some body work done on the truck right now so I'll have to wait until Saturday to check. I think I remember them being round so I hope I'm wrong about that. Thanks again for all the info.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2015, 09:34 AM   #16
frenchy51

Save yourself some grief and buy your windshield gasket from "Precision". (I've been there)
frenchy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:17 AM   #17
bvb69C10

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy51 View Post
Save yourself some grief and buy your windshield gasket from "Precision". (I've been there)
Thanks. I've heard the Steele Rubber is a quality brand as well. I've never purchased anything from them however
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2015, 12:37 PM   #18
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Thanks. I've heard the Steele Rubber is a quality brand as well. I've never purchased anything from them however
Posted via Mobile Device

From what I have read Steele gets theirs from Precision and puts their price on them....

LockDoc

-
Old 12-17-2015, 01:18 PM   #19
bvb69C10

Quote:
From what I have read Steele gets theirs from Precision and puts their price on them....

LockDoc
Hmm....ok I'll look for Precisions website and check their pricing.
Posted via Mobile Device