The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

View Poll Results: Do you like the license plate mount?
Yes I like it, I want one 58 67.44%
No I don't like it 21 24.42%
I like it, but it needs to be bigger to accomodate a frame 10 11.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-18-2010, 12:00 AM   #1
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Front license plate mount

I've been trying to get one of these done for some time now, and I finally got this one done a couple of weeks ago. I installed it on my Suburban so I could decide if I really like it or not. I'm just not sure if anything could be done differently to improve it's look. So I thought I'd post some pics and see what you guys have to say. Thanks for your reply.
Attached Images

Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:23 AM   #2
raycow

Re: Front license plate mount

Is this just for you, or are you going into production on it? Either way, I like it.

How about a pic off the truck and without the plate?

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 06-18-2010 at 12:25 AM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:33 AM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I like it a lot. Fits nice and tight against the bumper and centers it top to bottom. I always thought the stock mounting looked goofy with the plate sticking up so high (and vulnerable). I mounted mine on a heavy steel plate to both lower it and provide reinforcement, but your arrangement looks much nicer.

The only improvements I would consider might be making it a bit thinner to move the plate closer to the bumper and painting it the same color to make it look more like part of the bumper, and either a plastic license cover or decorative frame of choice. The is the most attractive front plate mounting I've ever seen on one of these trucks, and if it becomes a production item I'd be interested.

Last edited by markeb01; 06-18-2010 at 12:35 AM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:50 AM   #4
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I'm considering producing these and selling them. It depends on the feedback I get. I'll get a pic of the mount by itself in the next day or so. Thanks for the positive feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
Is this just for you, or are you going into production on it? Either way, I like it.

How about a pic off the truck and without the plate?

Ray

Yeah I have never liked the original mounting either. I've been wanting to do this for a long time. The one thought I've also had is making it a little thinner. The satin black is just what seemed like a good color to start with. It probably wouldn't look so bad on a nicely painted or chromed bumper. The biggest issue I've found so far, is that the bumpers vary a bit in their countour. I'm thinking that a rubber trim would make up for the differences, but I'm not sure the look would be acceptable. I've not seen a set of the factory bumper guards in person to see how well they fit. How well do yours fit Mark?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
I like it a lot. Fits nice and tight against the bumper and centers it top to bottom. I always thought the stock mounting looked goofy with the plate sticking up so high (and vulnerable). I mounted mine on a heavy steel plate to both lower it and provide reinforcement, but your arrangement looks much nicer.

The only improvements I would consider might be making it a bit thinner to move the plate closer to the bumper and painting it the same color to make it look more like part of the bumper, and either a plastic license cover or decorative frame of choice. The is the most attractive front plate mounting I've ever seen on one of these trucks, and if it becomes a production item I'd be interested.

Last edited by Captainfab; 06-18-2010 at 12:51 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:26 AM   #5
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Here are some pics to show up close how well they fit. The passenger side is very close, while the driver side has a bit of a gap at the lower bumper ridge.

The bumper on mine is an original, but not to the truck. The bumper that came with it from the factory was damaged when the first owner hit a deer. The guards were NOS painted versions when I bought them 20 years ago from Golden State Pickup Parts. I find it interesting, the new bumpers and guards are suppose to be exact duplicates, but the suppliers specify the repro guards won’t fit the aftermarket bumpers like in the lower right hand corner of this catalog page from LMC:

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cbe/full.aspx?Page=43

If you decide to produce these, a disclaimer may be needed whether they’ll fit reproduction bumpers.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:00 AM   #6
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

I always found it odd that GM overlooked a front mounting for the plate that would plumb it vertical like the rear plate. Would agree to enlarge it to allow a custom frame. Perhaps no sides or bottom to eliminate the contour issue and to let the dirt out. You'll have to stamp GUIDE 63 on it to confuse future generations. Great concept.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:20 AM   #7
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

might look neat molded to the bumper too..
I agree with the thinner look, if possible, and the rubber gasket is a good iea to chase differences in the contour...
areo has a good idea with some sort of drain at the bottom, we don't need anywhere else on our trucks trying to rust out!

also I think 60-62, and 63-66 bumpers have a little bit different contour, so you might want to look into that before production...
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #8
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

I like the vertical location but the thickness, not so much. Less is more, if it sticks out to far it starts to have that 80's "plastic fantastic" look.

I molded my plate to the bumper and redrilled the holes. I have plans to make an aluminum backing plate that utilizes countersunk head screws to bolt the backing plate to the bumper, and button head stainless screws that hold the license plate to the backing plate.
Attached Images

Last edited by lakeroadster; 06-18-2010 at 08:51 AM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Rather than making the support bigger to accomodate a license frame, it might be advantageous to make it smaller, as in exactly the same size as the plate, so when/if a license frame is mounted it would almost appear to be floating, further concealing the bracket.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

well, i like it...thinner might be better...but who am I to say, since i don't need no stinkin' front plate
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #11
Indian113

I hope you build more,I hate the way the plate stands up on a stock set up.
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 01:29 AM   #12
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Thanks for all the feedback from everyone. When I designed this bracket I kept drainage in mind, so the entire bottom of it is open. You'll be able to see when I take some pics tomorrow. So it looks like I need to see how thin I can make this. I'm not sure about the floating/suspended look, I'll have to give that some thought. Hopefully I can find some time next week to get a revised one done. In the meantime keep the feedback and ideas coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerotruk63 View Post
I always found it odd that GM overlooked a front mounting for the plate that would plumb it vertical like the rear plate. Would agree to enlarge it to allow a custom frame. Perhaps no sides or bottom to eliminate the contour issue and to let the dirt out. You'll have to stamp GUIDE 63 on it to confuse future generations. Great concept.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzcustomshop View Post
might look neat molded to the bumper too..
I agree with the thinner look, if possible, and the rubber gasket is a good iea to chase differences in the contour...
areo has a good idea with some sort of drain at the bottom, we don't need anywhere else on our trucks trying to rust out!

also I think 60-62, and 63-66 bumpers have a little bit different contour, so you might want to look into that before production...
Old 06-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #13
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

I like it a lot. Thinner would be nice, but would it affect the strength?
Either way, I want one.
Hurry up and make more

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
coolair

I like it - a little thinner would look nicer but I like how your contoured it to the bumper. I used a universal licence plate holder from the parts store to mount it in the middle - I hate the OEM mounting position.

coolair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:39 AM   #15
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I did take some pics of the bracket yesterday as promissed, but we had a spyware issue with the computer here. So I haven't uploaded the pics yet.....tomorrow for sure.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:58 PM   #16
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Here's a couple pics of the mount itself as promised.
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2010, 01:28 AM   #17
raycow

Are the holes in the faceplate large enough to get a socket on the mounting screws, or would I need to use a screwdriver?

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:40 AM   #18
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yes they are big enough for a socket. If I go with this design, I will likely make them just a little bigger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
Are the holes in the faceplate large enough to get a socket on the mounting screws, or would I need to use a screwdriver?

Ray
Old 06-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #19
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
I've been trying to get one of these done for some time now, and I finally got this one done a couple of weeks ago. I installed it on my Suburban so I could decide if I really like it or not. I'm just not sure if anything could be done differently to improve it's look. So I thought I'd post some pics and see what you guys have to say. Thanks for your reply.
I think the side material thickness in the first picture looks good, uniform. If you were to taper the bottom to get it more verticle, it wouldn't look as good.

Looks good to me.

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 05:00 PM   #20
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Yeah, I'm going to keep the angle the same, but I am going to try and narrow it up a bit. I was hoping to get to it this week, but that isn't going to happen.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:38 PM   #21
ChuckW

Hi Captainfab,
I came across an old post that you were considering making up front license plate mounts. Did you ever do that? I am interested.
Thanks! Chuck
ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #22
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I haven't done any more with these, but I do intend to. I just don't know when. My regular work load is absolutely crazy right now.....working 16 hrs today, and probably tomorrow and Wednesday as well.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:05 PM   #23
64shortbox

Yes, I also would be interested in a front plate mount like that. I sure don't like the factory mount. I'm sure impressed with the power booster mount I got from you and I know the license mount will be just as impressive.
Attached Images

64shortbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #24
Slow Build

Here is something that can be used that's pretty cheap. I got one of these for less than $5 at O'Reilly Auto Parts. It will work for now.
Attached Images

Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:40 AM   #25
ChuckW

I understand the work load issue very well.... Thanks for responding!
ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote