The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2024, 01:44 AM   #1
D-n-Tyke

JK Headlight Upgrade Install Question

Those of you that have replaced the stock sealed headlight bulbs with JK headlights, did they bolt right in? Or did you have to modify/trim/cut the factory light buckets to make the JK lights fit?
I am waiting on the conversion wiring harness but wanted to test fit them anyway. I can't tell if I need to do some trimming or just mess with them alittle long to make them fit well.
D-n-Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 10:41 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: JK Headlight Upgrade Install Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-n-Tyke View Post
Those of you that have replaced the stock sealed headlight bulbs with JK headlights, did they bolt right in? Or did you have to modify/trim/cut the factory light buckets to make the JK lights fit?
I am waiting on the conversion wiring harness but wanted to test fit them anyway. I can't tell if I need to do some trimming or just mess with them alittle long to make them fit well.

They fit right in the stock location. I have 2 extra sets with adapters that I bought a few years ago.

I'm sure there are a few people that don't have a clue what you are talking about so here is a post I posted back in 2008.

Quote:
-
I used Jeep Wrangler headlights in my '67 Panel Truck. Jeep JK Wrangler headlights are a direct bolt in swap for the old sealed beam headlights in our trucks. They even have the 3 lugs on the back for alignment and use the stock '67-'72 trim rings. The headlights have more dome to the lense than the originals. I went ahead and bought the headlight conversion pigtails for the swap too.

I bought both on e-Bay. The headlights I bought were from a private seller that changed his over to something different. They are in excellent condition. You have to be careful because there are a lot of look alikes. They do make exact replacements too but you have to watch, some of them come with bulbs and some don't. The easy way to tell the OEM's are by the back. I think the lights are the same from 2007-2015.

Here are the pigtails.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/13094045132..._redirect=true

LockDoc
I also installed the headlight relay upgrade. Both made a difference on nighttime visibility....
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 12:32 PM   #3
dmjlambert

Are they glass or plastic? In what ways are they an upgrade? How do you tell OEMs from the back?
dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 01:31 PM   #4
Lee H

Having owned several JKs I don't get what the fascination is with their head lights. Most Jeepers swap the out pretty quick for LEDs, especially those that do a lot of night driving. I run Sylvana H6024 in my C10 and they are MUCH brighter than my 2015 JKs, before I swapped the for LEDs.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 02:53 PM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

I believe cost is the attraction. I can get a pair at the wrecking yard for $30 and for $20 more I get a new pair of H13's. Upgraded from P-3's for around $50. And if I'm patient I get a pair off Craigslist for even less. Because like you say the Jeep guys are ditching them for $100 LED’S which may or may not be an upgrade, but that's a different discussion.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 04:59 PM   #6
Rust_never_sleeps

Thanks for the clarification, Doc. I went down the google rabbithole looking for JK as a brand of headlights ;-)
Old 02-24-2024, 05:52 PM   #7
leddzepp

I use Sylvania Silver Star headlights with the relay harness and it made a huge improvement over the stock lights. Curious to see if LED is worth the upgrade and if they are any brighter than what I already have.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 06:16 PM   #8
D-n-Tyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HO455 View Post
I believe cost is the attraction. I can get a pair at the wrecking yard for $30 and for $20 more I get a new pair of H13's. Upgraded from P-3's for around $50. And if I'm patient I get a pair off Craigslist for even less. Because like you say the Jeep guys are ditching them for $100 LED’S which may or may not be an upgrade, but that's a different discussion.
This was the draw for me. $10 for a pair of headlights off offerup, $10 conversion harness off ebay and then I am going to fab up the relay harness with some relays I have in my toolbox.
My ultimate goal was to upgrade to LED (like the Jeep guys) but $200-$300 vs $20, $20 fits in my budget now.
D-n-Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 07:16 PM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmjlambert View Post
Are they glass or plastic? In what ways are they an upgrade? How do you tell OEMs from the back?
They are plastic.
Better focal length and brighter than stock.
I don't remember. I posted that in 2008

I have no complaints on the JK lights after all these years. They work fine for me.
I am going to install one of my extra sets in my new Dually project in the next few days....

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote