The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-25-2015, 11:49 AM   #11
54belair

Re: My grandsons 68 stepper

Well, I finally retired after talking about it for a year or so AND Ive gotten a few things done on the build. My goal this coming year is to Finish it!!!

I just posted an update on "what have you done on your truck today" thread but thought Id do it here as well.

Over the last week or so: I cut and buffed most of the front clip including the grille, the lower valance, and both front fenders.
Then I installed the grille, valance, parking lights and inner fenders. Naturally none of it went this quickly---always seems to be one part or bolt or screw that we cant find or don't have. One example is after buffing the grille I installed the previous grille chrome trim. Looked ok when I took it off, but with the new paint it really looked shabby----so, new rings and clips.
I didn't have any issues with all that----but, when I installed the right front fender--the issues came up.
If you've read the build you may remember I had to cut out both A posts due to rust in the upper cowl area. We braced the cab well so nothing would shift---but Murphy still showed up. The A post was welded in below the lower hinge----In the exact spot where the fender brace comes the closest to the A post.

The solution was not to disturb the welded area on the A post, but to massage the inner fender brace. With the truck painted, solutions require some finesse. I opted to cut the area on the fender brace, gently beat it in and reweld some new metal in making what looks like a pocket in that area.

I soaked some rags in cold water and placed them between the inner and outer fender skin to absorb heat. The modification went very well, no damage to the fender skin and now the fender fits as it should have (on the lower end).

Im really anxious to see if I encounter the same issue on the driver side.

After all the initial fabricating, we did a test fit on the doors---but since I reused the same fenders I told myself "they came off-they will re fit" Mistake----should have test fit EVERYTHING.

So, where Im at now is the right side door is installed, the right fender is on (still have to finesse the door gap), its close, but I personally hate a funky looking door gap, so it will take some more time on that. Im looking for .18" top to bottom and current have .17-ish at the bottom and .195 ish at the top.

Ive taken pics of all this fun and Ill upload several before long.

So, with all that said----Thank you all for reading and waiting on this Loooooong drawn out build. And Merry Christmas, peace and prosperity to you all my friends.
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote