The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-08-2015, 05:20 PM   #1
JNUTZ

Build help

New to the forums and look forward to reading the build threads. Lots of great information so far.

I just picked up a 52 3100. I was just going to get it up and running but figure I might as well do it the way I really want vs just sinking money into it just to drive it now. It's pretty clean, no dents or bondo anywhere. There are a few holes in the floor boards but that's it really.

It's a cream color/tan with Original teal color underneath. I want to bring that team back with a patina paint job.

So I'm thinking of sending it off to a shop for the majority of the work. Looking for a shop that can help with a S10 conversion, motor/drive train upgrade, interior. Pretty much a resto mod with a good pallet to start with.

I'm located in San Diego and looking for a one stop shop. Any suggestions?
JNUTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:13 PM   #2
iowaboynca

Re: Build help

Welcome to the site JNUTZ!

First and foremost, do you have the truck titled in your name? If not do this first before you sink a dime into it!

Second, it sounds like a you've got a good start to a plan. Do you want this truck to be a daily driver or a truck that sits in the garage once a month to head to the occasional show/cruise? That is the main impact on your budget.

Third, if this is a west coast truck, why an S10 swap? The frame is probably in really good shape. There are components out there that will update your suspension very nicely with the old frame as compared to an S10. Granted if you live east of the Rockies there's this legend that they get this thing called "weather", but here on the west coast its a myth I'd be concerned about the frame if that was the case.

Definately take a look at the build page to get some ideas. There's some great projects that are in there. Search "marvin" by torchlight. I think his build is similar to what you intend.
Old 08-08-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
Hampshire

Quote:
Third, if this is a west coast truck, why an S10 swap? The frame is probably in really good shape. There are components out there that will update your suspension very nicely with the old frame as compared to an S10. Granted if you live east of the Rockies there's this legend that they get this thing called "weather", but here on the west coast its a myth I'd be concerned about the frame if that was the case.
...seriously, why?

...Living on the east coast, I can understand an S10 swap as great budget solution to frame cancer/problems. I started with a west coast truck & was able to choose from a vast variety of suspension mods made for these...
Hampshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 12:27 AM   #4
JNUTZ

I was thinking it would end up being cheaper to go that route for better suspension, disc brakes, and other accessories. This is my 1st old truck so pretty new. I've done newer vehicles, Manx buggies, and motorcycles but I don't have the space I used to.

I saw a truck skymangs did and was actually going to contact him but I saw the unfortunate event.

I'm looking for a daily driver. Sounds like I should check out the frame a little more and the options with keeping it that route. I had automatically thought the swap was the way to go...

Last edited by JNUTZ; 08-09-2015 at 12:57 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 08:53 AM   #5
Sim6

Welcome to the forum JNUTZ. Lots of good info on here. I've followed SKYMANGS on my S10 swap. It's fairly simple IMO but probably deminishes the overall value a little. So if you can afford to keep the OG frame I would recommend it. My budget was under 4k so I went with the S10 swap. Good luck!

53' Chevy 3100 5 window http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=660793

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=771679
Sim6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:25 AM   #6
Advanced Design

Welcome JNUTZ. There are many chassis upgrade options available. The S10 swap has been one way as you know. Tre5 has a build thread on one now that is very nice. Skymangs has the sticky thread on the how to do it. You can also purchase a complete chassis from a number of companies..No Limit, Art Morrison, Fatman, etc.

The cheapest and fastest route to obtaining a truck with the resto mod updates you want is to buy one done. Become familiar with these trucks and what constitutes a "good one" then have fun in the hunt for the perfect one. I certainly understand the desire in building one or having it built your way. Just sharing a thought for consideration.

Sounds like you have a good truck. Can you throw up some pictures?
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 02:30 PM   #7
JNUTZ

Here are a few pics. I'm not sure why my camera went into night mode but the lighter pic is the truck color. It's teal under the tanish color so that's what I'd like to bring out.
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2015, 02:48 PM   #8
OrrieG

It looks like a REALLY nice stock truck ready to roll. My recommendation would be to make sure the title is right, get it running (make sure fuel system and brakes are good) and drive it for a while to decide if it is the vehicle for you. There are lots of projects for sale where the owner tore it apart, ran out of interest, time or money and punted it on, at a loss, to the next guy. You might dig it as a stock struck. Or drive a while and opt for a engine and tranny swap. Then drive a little more while deciding if you need a suspension upgrade. I always recommend using kits that keep the stock frame, especially on the AD trucks where front tin alignment can be a challenge even on a stock truck. I also gives you the option to make changes without being stuck with one platform. S-10 is the flavor of the month now as Volares were in the 90's. I got mine in 76, upgraded to lower rearend and 4 speed in 80, upgraded to V8 and 4wd in 85 and finally took it off the road in 2000 to take care of body rust issues that turned into a full frame off rebuild.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #9
JNUTZ

Great advice all around. I'm definitely weighing all options before moving forward. Still a lot of info out there to dig through.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:29 AM   #10
iowaboynca

What Orrie said...

JNUTZ...that is a sweet ride! congratz...I love that color!
Take your time. If this is a truck you want to keep your hands on, you're in no hurry and think what do you want it to look like in 10-20 years, and trust me, what you think you want now will change. Heck my desired color has changed at least 3 times and i'm no where near close to working on the body!

Congratz on the truck again looks pretty solid
Old 08-10-2015, 12:44 AM   #11
JNUTZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaboynca View Post
What Orrie said...

JNUTZ...that is a sweet ride! congratz...I love that color!
Take your time. If this is a truck you want to keep your hands on, you're in no hurry and think what do you want it to look like in 10-20 years, and trust me, what you think you want now will change. Heck my desired color has changed at least 3 times and i'm no where near close to working on the body!

Congratz on the truck again looks pretty solid
Thank you. Everyone seems to love the color but since my ideas include a patina/rust with some green or blue I'm weighing all options. My neighbor had pulled just a cab out of the woods and took it down to Mexico and for 10k they built him a factory look alike, his father did the same for a resto mod. I'm thinking I need to find out where they went.

I know I could have gotten a more complete one for cheaper in the long run but like everyone here. Building it the way you want it is half the excitement. I'm planning on keeping this one and seeing my daughters excitement about helping with her little tool kit makes it that much more special.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:00 PM   #12
curmudgeon

Since you requested a shop reference, talk to Mark Davis at MJ Restoration in Santee, a little east of you. He sub-specializes in AD trucks, having built around 2 dozen of them.

From the pictures, your truck looks in pretty good shape (much better that mine was) and I would also recommend keeping the stock frame, adding IFS and/or 4 link if you want to change the ride/stance.
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote