The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-21-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
Fenhold

Steering column placement question

Hello,
I have been building a 52 5 window pickup for the last 16 months. Many of the build threads have been invaluable but I need some feedback on this one.
Has anyone moved the steering column to the left to center it between the gauges? I've never driven one of these trucks so I'm not sure if this would be awkward or not. There are several reasons I would like to do this besides symmetry. Just for reference I replaced the firewall with a direct sheetmetal one and did a complete B!tch!n Products toeboard/ floorboard replacement. The seat is a Glide Engineering split back bench

Thank You.
Fenhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
pgf545

Re: Steering column placement question

Welcome to the boards. I am building a 52 also. Check out my build thread I think I have a few pictures of when I mocked up the steering column. I did the *****in products firewall and front floor kit. The column is a Ididit. and mounted it in the center of the cutout from the original. I think that is a little offset but it made for easy mounting. We are still in the build stage so I can't tell you how it works or if it is comfortable. Good luck and if you need anything just ask...there are lots of helpful people on here. I also have some more pictures if you don't see one ask and I will see what I have.

Bernie
Old 05-21-2010, 06:50 PM   #3
BlueJeep

My s10 column is moved to the left and centered on the gauges. I also moved where it pokes through the firewall left too, to straighten out the column and also give me a little more exhaust manifold clearance. I'll get pics later tonight.

I've got an 88 chevy bench seat which is wider than factory, so no problems with moving the column with respect to the seat.

86 Suburban
88 Jeep 6.0 swap
49 Chevy truck
54 Chevy wagon

86 Suburban lowered 4/6
54 Chevy wagon
49 Chevy/s10 mix
88 Jeep Wrangler rockcrawler

Last edited by BlueJeep; 05-21-2010 at 06:51 PM.
BlueJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
Fenhold

Thanks for the quick replies! The main reason I wanted to move it over was to get the column shift bracket further away from the head. Bernie, I have followed your thread very closely .Great work man! I am also using an Ididit column. The Direct Sheetmetal firewall is a much narrower recess but 1 inch deeper. I stuffed the Ls1 as far back as possible to make room for a decent radiator and fan.
Fenhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
pgf545

Thanks for the comments. We have run into a little down time. My dad had knee replacement surgery and is going to be down for a while. I have gotten really busy at work and haven't had the time to mess with it. Hopefully in a month or so I can get back at it....unless this heat wipes me out...lol.

Bernie