The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-02-2009, 12:17 AM   #176
Rokcrln

Re: LFD's 4dr Tahoe Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Speaking of Yukons, some GMC fan needs to step up and build one!

Now back to the 'hoe! Are you sticking with the 3/4 ton gear? What wheels are you planning on running? Most importantly, have you decided to keep it?
Well for today I plan on keeping it It will not stay 3/4 ton but instead will be getting one of Nate's C-? front ends and an LFD 4 linked 9" rear. It will sit as low as Nate will let it and for wheels I am thinking 20/18's so I still have some sidewall left. No idea on the type of wheel at this point. I have a 2005 5.3L d.o.d motor with a 4L60E that cake out of a wrecked truck with 20K miles. It will be full power everything, keeping the barn doors with a few LFD touches and a 67 front clip with one of my forward tilt hoods. Newer Tahoe front seats and center console and a Tahoe second row bench. Then I have a set of the Tahoe suit case seats for the very rear that will pop in and out as needed.

We have not even talked about paint yet put I am thinking some type of two tone using the 67-68 full trim. I am thinking it will get a fare amount of airbrushing but it will not be visible to the untrained eye My wife would like to see different door handles for all five.

Then under the hood will be all hand done sheet metal to hide the tires, mount the hood catches and have a custom built in engine look along with a few added features.

I spent the better part of an 8hr day in the shop just welding up the roof slices. It is hard to believe how much slower Tig welding something like this is over Mig but it sure is allot easier to work with afterwords. I have maybe 1-2hrs of hammer and dolly work in the morning then I will finish stripping the roof and get it ready for 2 good coats of DP90.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:19 AM   #177
Rokcrln

I will also get a few pics of it out side in the morning so you all can see the over all look. Then if all goes well I should be starting the rear door wheel arch work on Saturday.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:23 AM   #178
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looking forward to the full scale pictures
Old 01-02-2009, 07:15 AM   #179
Frizzle Fry

Good plans all around Kevin. I personally have no affection for lowered 8-luggers. Nothing wrong with them, just not my preference. So I'm glad to hear you are going another route.

You know I have a DM waiting to go into Tubby, right? ...and staggered wheels, and 67-68 clip, and two tone, and I'm guessing you'll do truck tails based on your highly vocal opinion of the Burb tails

But that's where we take separate paths. I'm going with two rows of Buddy Buckets, and sticking with the 476. A sorta old school theme with a "period looking" body, interior, and engine. The wheels and stance are obviously exceptions to that

But enough about mine, let see more of yours! So are you going to name this thing or are we going to have to refer to it as the LFD Tahoe?
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #180
71'tahoe

KEVIN,

Nice build thread...I must be on crack cause I never saw this thread before today....dddaaayyyuumm....I love your proportions. Its close to what i had planned for mine before the garage roof collapsed..I need to get one of these started again..we east coasters need to get in on all the fun!! Good luck with your build.You do awsome work!
71'tahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:51 PM   #181
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizzle Fry View Post
Good plans all around Kevin. I personally have no affection for lowered 8-luggers. Nothing wrong with them, just not my preference. So I'm glad to hear you are going another route.

You know I have a DM waiting to go into Tubby, right? ...and staggered wheels, and 67-68 clip, and two tone, and I'm guessing you'll do truck tails based on your highly vocal opinion of the Burb tails

But that's where we take separate paths. I'm going with two rows of Buddy Buckets, and sticking with the 476. A sorta old school theme with a "period looking" body, interior, and engine. The wheels and stance are obviously exceptions to that

But enough about mine, let see more of yours! So are you going to name this thing or are we going to have to refer to it as the LFD Tahoe?
Yep I ether read it in your thread or Nate may have mentioned it to me but it is the only way to go. You went with the truck DM right? Yes I will be doing something different to the tail lights as my wife and I both agree they need so meting different for the look we are going for.

I have thought about doing 4 buckets but with the little one I will need more room for trip's, friends and in-laws We are going for a slight could have been stock look to the out side but that is about were it will end. I am afraid we are going to end up with more $ on the inside of this to finish it out then any other area of the Tahoe. As for a Name I will have to think about that one. I have a few things rolling around but it depends more on the direction we go. So for now LFD Tahoe works just find.
How is the S2000 transplant coming along?

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 01-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #182
LUV2XCLR8
The LuvShack Garage

Ya'll are making me want a Tahoe, stop it

Looks great
Big Piggy: "Goliath" 07 Kodiak C4500
Lil Piggy:"Maddy" 88 Silverado 3500
Hauler: "Feathers" 14 Aluma 8218T
LUV2XCLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:12 PM   #183
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 View Post
Ya'll are making me want a Tahoe, stop it

Looks great
OK we will stop. We want to keep it at one Tahoe 3dr, one Tahoe 4dr and one with really big holes in the sides

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #184
SactoJim

Hope I get a chance to see that thing when it's done.....awesome fab work.
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #185
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoJim View Post
Hope I get a chance to see that thing when it's done.....awesome fab work.
Jim that might be a tough one with you living so far away and all

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #186
Rokcrln

Cold, Rain, Fog, welcome to sunny California Sorry no out side shots today. I have been working on the roof all frickin day, started off by DA-ing the whole thing down to bare metal. Then I finished a few spots I had to heat and shrink to get the crown just right along my weld seam. I'm thinking cool it is moving right along so I go to the next step, leading the seams. I start on the drivers side front corner and do this side first. SO I Tin the side and lay down the Body solder, cut it, shape it and then long board it and it turns out real good. Then I get stupid and try to fix one small spot right were the roof seam meats the side seam and POP the roof drops and oil cans So I spend the next 2 1/2 hours fixing that and getting the roof ready for a skim coat of filler. Also in the process of fixing the oil can spots in the roof as I am beating the sh!t out of it I knock over my solder flux and the jar breaks on the ground. So all in all not a real fun day and now I am off to see if a friend has any flux I can grab so I can finish up the passenger side and start the roof seam. Here are a few pic's for now.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:47 AM   #187

I gotta ask, why solder?
5150.4.67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:55 AM   #188

BTW, your skills are phenominal! I hate big long flat panels that oil can. When I try to straighten them they often are better used as corrugated roofing!

Last edited by 5150.4.67; 01-03-2009 at 01:55 AM.
5150.4.67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:03 AM   #189
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150.4.67 View Post
I gotta ask, why solder?
Why not! I like to just melt stuff from time to time and body solder is a good way to go. When done right it will last forever and in the hot sun it expands the same as metal so you do not get any shadowing like you can with regular filler. Also I don't get enough chances to use it on customer builds so on my own stuff it helps keep me in practice.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 01-03-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #190
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Amazing work!
When you started to cut down the 'burb,... I said, "Oh NO!". I really liked it as a suburban.
But now it looks really sweet. I especially like the way you moved the rear suspension.
I can see the Tahoe in a future LFD or Porterbuilt magazine ad.
NICE,... very nice.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:59 PM   #191
Rokcrln

Well not really a full on side view but with as much crap in my yard and drivway it is the best I can do for now. I finished stripping the quarters to get them ready to Tig weld on ly to find about 3/16" of bondo over everything. But get this their was almost no damage at all so the best I can figure is the PO just pilled it on with out any depth guages to follow and sanded untill smooth. So I figure I just save a few pounds of filler and now I can work the metal like it should be done. I also puit in some 6" drop front srings for the pic's so it would not look as bad

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #192
38chevyhotrod

Looks great, keep up the good work. Can't wait to see it finished. Since you're planning on maybe keeping it, have you thought about the color scheme?

I have done some leading myself on my 38 pickup, did you also put lead on the seam that goes across the roof?
I did the hood on my pickup but went totally out of shape.

By the way, you have some nice toys in the garden too.

http://www.arnoldscustoms.com

Last edited by 38chevyhotrod; 01-03-2009 at 04:09 PM.
38chevyhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:21 PM   #193
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38chevyhotrod View Post
Looks great, keep up the good work. Can't wait to see it finished. Since you're planning on maybe keeping it, have you thought about the color scheme?

I have done some leading myself on my 38 pickup, did you also put lead on the seam that goes across the roof?
I did the hood on my pickup but went totally out of shape.

By the way, you have some nice toys in the garden too.
We have not even thought about colors let alone a color scheme.
Your hood turned out great from the pic. I also really like your tubular style cross member, I plan on doing one like this on the Tahoe out of 1 1/2" 0.120 wall HREW. Your interior metal work looks great as well, what kind of tools are you using to fabricate with?

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #194
38chevyhotrod

The hood came out ok after all but i had to raise the cowl and had to cut out a piece of the hood and patch it with a new bit thicker flat piece of steel.

At my work i can use an hydrolic press to bend the sheets.

At home I only have a little shrink/stretch tool and for the rest i only use a sandbag and hammer and dolly.

Your cross member will be strong enough with the 1 1/2" 0.120 pipe.

http://www.arnoldscustoms.com
38chevyhotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 07:46 PM   #195
VA72C10
VA72C10

Looks good...really like the look!
Old 01-03-2009, 08:33 PM   #196
Rokcrln

Well my wife picked up a new camera today because our old Sony was giving it up. This one is a nice 35mm Sony and I was able to get some full pics inside the shop.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:48 PM   #197
70 Suburban
Rods

man its so tempting. too bad i decided on the 65 4 door extended cab. the tohoe will be my next build
70 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 09:16 PM   #198
texanidiot25
Eat My Rust

WOW, that looks crazy short. It's a toss up between your slightly shorter 'hoe and FF's longer 'hoe.
texanidiot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 10:11 PM   #199
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
WOW, that looks crazy short. It's a toss up between your slightly shorter 'hoe and FF's longer 'hoe.
My WB is 2" longer than FF's and the over Tahoe is only 1/4" longer than FF's. Funny how a few small changes make big differences.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #200
Frizzle Fry

I love it man! Looks awesome!!!
Frizzle Fry is offline   Reply With Quote