The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2014, 11:32 AM   #1451
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
It's another grand attribute you have and live by Vic. If you're gonna do it, do it the way you think it oughtta be done. Little ding in the schedule but it'll be ( . )( . ) when it's done!
Thanks, John. I know I keep saying this is just going to be a driver (upgraded from beater originally) but some things are too hard to ignore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot949 View Post
Hey Vic... Can you get me a couple of shots straight down the L&R sides of the truck?... It needs to be perfectly straight down the sides...
Here you go, Dan, however pictures don't really tell the story that well. The shots from the front are probably the most revealing. Essentially, what is going on is that when the cab/clip and bed are mounted square to the frame, the angle between the back of the cab and the front panel of the bed is most evident. The gap measures 3/4" on the passenger side and 1-5/8" on the driver side ...a difference of 7/8" which is quite a lot.

When I had the frame straightened, I thought the only problem was with the "X" measurement. The frame shop took the "diamond" out of it and I thought all was good. Now that I look back, the tiny wrinkle in the top edge of the driver side frame rail near the trans cross member could have been a tell that the middle of the frame was pushed toward the left side. If that's the case, it could account for the misalignment. Head scratcher is how the frame shop missed it.

Mike (texasld) also rightly pointed out that the repro cab floor mounts could be off. I've removed the mounting bolts and adjusted the position of the cab to make the gap correct and when I do, the front clip is offset so much the core support bolts won't go thru the mounting holes. Or if I make the cab and clip line up and shift the bed to adjust the gap, the rear of the bed is way off.

All of this makes me think the frame is the prime suspect, but I haven't ruled out anything at this point.
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:41 PM   #1452
texasld

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post

Mike (texasld) also rightly pointed out that the repro cab floor mounts could be off. I've removed the mounting bolts and adjusted the position of the cab to make the gap correct and when I do, the front clip is offset so much the core support bolts won't go thru the mounting holes. Or if I make the cab and clip line up and shift the bed to adjust the gap, the rear of the bed is way off.

All of this makes me think the frame is the prime suspect, but I haven't ruled out anything at this point.
Well DERN! I feel like the answer to your problem is just right around the corner. Are you sure you want to give up. I think you should keep at it until you at least get it back to the frame shop. They should look at it under warranty... right?
2010 Harley Street Glide

Check Out My Build!: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617981
texasld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:27 PM   #1453
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasld View Post
Well DERN! I feel like the answer to your problem is just right around the corner. Are you sure you want to give up. I think you should keep at it until you at least get it back to the frame shop. They should look at it under warranty... right?
Oh, I'm not giving up by a long shot, Mike ...just setting it on the back burner for a while. I'm sure the frame shop would treat me fairly once I explain the situation. They have a good reputation. Right now, the issue is one of timing. If I hadn't signed up for this Power Tour thing I'd be making tracks to Leroy's in Independence. But, without going into detail, the logistics are lousy and there's no guarantee they'll have the fix. Lots of lost time if I pursue it, which I'd then have to make up on the other project. At this point, the '57 can be swapped into the workshop by tomorrow. I'll revisit CRLS come summertime.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:42 PM   #1454
texasld

Quote:
Oh, I'm not giving up by a long shot, Mike ...just setting it on the back burner for a while. I'm sure the frame shop would treat me fairly once I explain the situation. They have a good reputation. Right now, the issue is one of timing. If I hadn't signed up for this Power Tour thing I'd be making tracks to Leroy's in Independence. But, without going into detail, the logistics are lousy and there's no guarantee they'll have the fix. Lots of lost time if I pursue it, which I'd then have to make up on the other project. At this point, the '57 can be swapped into the workshop by tomorrow. I'll revisit CRLS come summertime.
Got ya, Well the ford is SWEET. Seen it first hand.

Check my build and see the last pictures I uploaded. One is headed your way.
2010 Harley Street Glide

Check Out My Build!: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=617981
texasld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #1455
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
Thanks, John. I know I keep saying this is just going to be a driver (upgraded from beater originally) but some things are too hard to ignore.

Here you go, Dan, however pictures don't really tell the story that well. The shots from the front are probably the most revealing. Essentially, what is going on is that when the cab/clip and bed are mounted square to the frame, the angle between the back of the cab and the front panel of the bed is most evident. The gap measures 3/4" on the passenger side and 1-5/8" on the driver side ...a difference of 7/8" which is quite a lot.

When I had the frame straightened, I thought the only problem was with the "X" measurement. The frame shop took the "diamond" out of it and I thought all was good. Now that I look back, the tiny wrinkle in the top edge of the driver side frame rail near the trans cross member could have been a tell that the middle of the frame was pushed toward the left side. If that's the case, it could account for the misalignment. Head scratcher is how the frame shop missed it.

Vic... after studying the pics real close I believe that the Rear Cross sill for the bed is off... I believe it is allowing the bed to be moved appx 1" to the right which would make your gap from bed to cab to close up on the right side (or open the gap on the left depends on how you want to look at it)... this is just a observation and obviously standing their measuring would be able to make that determination...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:44 PM   #1456
Vic1947

Quote:
Vic... after studying the pics real close I believe that the Rear Cross sill for the bed is off... I believe it is allowing the bed to be moved appx 1" to the right which would make your gap from bed to cab to close up on the right side (or open the gap on the left depends on how you want to look at it)... this is just a observation and obviously standing their measuring would be able to make that determination...
Hey Dan, I've simulated what you're describing by removing the bolts from the bed and scooting the rear of it over till the gap is correct. If I do that, the rear bumper would have to be offset by about an inch and a half. Talked to Precision Collision today and they said it sounds like the frame is banana shaped. They can fix it but suggested the best approach is to remove all the body panels and the drivetrain. Lotsa work! It will have to wait till next summer. One last shot before CRLS heads to "cold storage".
Attached Images

Old 12-30-2014, 09:37 PM   #1457
swamp rat

Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions, offers of assistance and encouragement, guys.
I'm not discounting the possibility of the frame or the cab floor or the fact you said the bed is as straight as it can be, its probably an optical illusion in the pic itself, but looking at this pic and paying no mind to the headboard the bedsides just don't look parallel, actually the driver bedside and headboard also look more than 90* too. I'm sure you'll figure get it out.

I don't care what your working on i wanna follow it!
Attached Images

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:56 AM   #1458
jlsanborn

I think you're on the right track. Ya it's a lot of work but it really ain't at this stage in the game, to pull the panels and gear. It's the right move, just sucks that it doinks the schedule. Link us up to move-in day, I wanna see this Ford!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:58 AM   #1459
jlsanborn

Also meant to say that your mock up photos look friggen awesome from here and they motivate me! Ordered exhaust fixins and some tools yesterday... questions coming...
Old 12-31-2014, 11:47 AM   #1460
Dean'smeanmachine

hope you get the ford done in time. power tour? lucky you!

1972 Custom Camper c/20 5.3 LS swap in progress. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=610187

in God we Trust
Dean'smeanmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:56 PM   #1461
Xeen

It sounds like the truck was T-Boned at some point, it happens but it's sad that it wasn't repaired properly when it happened.
Did the frame shop say they would make it right for free since they missed it when they had it in their shop?
I'm sorry to hear that the truck has to go on the back burner until summer, I know you were hoping to drive it by the beginning of summer not at the end.
On the bright side you get to finish the 57, I know that one has been a long project and it will be satisfying for you to finish it up after all these years, plus gas is cheap right now so it won't cost you an arm and a leg to gas up the big block for the tour LOL!
Old 12-31-2014, 09:24 PM   #1462
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
It sounds like the truck was T-Boned at some point, it happens but it's sad that it wasn't repaired properly when it happened.
Did the frame shop say they would make it right for free since they missed it when they had it in their shop?
I'm sorry to hear that the truck has to go on the back burner until summer, I know you were hoping to drive it by the beginning of summer not at the end.
On the bright side you get to finish the 57, I know that one has been a long project and it will be satisfying for you to finish it up after all these years, plus gas is cheap right now so it won't cost you an arm and a leg to gas up the big block for the tour LOL!
Could very well be, Brian. I haven't even contacted the frame shop. No need to stir that pot until I have the time to take it to them.

Scott came over this afternoon and, along with Kathy, we managed to swap out the vehicles. No mean feat, I'm here to tell you. No brakes, shifter linkage, or steering on the truck, plus the entire route was uphill. Used floor jacks, two low-buck homemade wheel dollies and the mighty four banger Ranger. Numerous times, one or another of the wheel dollies would stop while the truck kept going. Had to reposition everything and make another run at it. Eventually it made it into the upstairs garage where it is now resting comfortably.

I'll be working on the new build thread in the evenings after the whistle blows. Not much there yet but it's now listed in my signature. Later!
Old 01-01-2015, 01:05 AM   #1463
Cash3481
Loves all GMC trucks

Vic,
I bought $6600 worth of sheet metal a few months ago in June. My friend had a terrible time with his rear crossmember. Eventually, classic parts admitted they had a bad batch of them and he got another one sent to his home. That didnt work either so they promissed him another on the next batch. Months later... No contact and he was constant with his contact and finally he had to go get it since I picked up his stuff for him. Reason I say all this is that it took them 4 months to get good one in and he told me they bought that one from another supplier after his repeated attempts to get it replaced.
I love classic parts and they usually take care of me, but I wasn't the broker of that deal just the transportation so they didn't want to talk to me.
All of this to qualify me saying that the rear crossmember bolts wouldn't line up correctly and he had to massage them and the bed sides and it still didn't work.
I didn't read all the issues you had with your bed but it might have contributed to your situation. Just don't assume the metal has the holes in the correct places. If I'm out of line I appologize. Happy New Years.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:37 AM   #1464
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash3481 View Post
Vic,
... Reason I say all this is that it took them 4 months to get good one in and he told me they bought that one from another supplier after his repeated attempts to get it replaced. ... Just don't assume the metal has the holes in the correct places. If I'm out of line I appologize. Happy New Years.
Hey Mike, I'm with you all the way. I've had so many fitment issues I no longer assume the part is correct. And your statement about different suppliers is right on. They may say they all get their stuff from the same place, but there are differences for sure. Vendors like LMC, Classic, Brothers, Southern KY and etc., etc. all end up with a bad batch of panels from time to time. So it's wise to shop around if possible.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:08 PM   #1465
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Vic I know this is on hold but I know you were looking for a pair of hood hinges and I found a pair that would be great for this truck... PM sent... Dan

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

Old 03-17-2015, 01:26 PM   #1466
Gregski
Post Whore

Fab Skillz = MAD !
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 06:46 AM   #1467
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Ok Vic... Lets get this rolling again... Need Help?... I will come up and Help...

Old 08-23-2015, 07:35 AM   #1468
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Hey Vic... I know the Ford is consuming your time trying to get all the little annoying issues worked through but have you any idea when you are going to get back on CRLS?

Old 08-23-2015, 01:35 PM   #1469
Vic1947

Quote:
Hey Vic... I know the Ford is consuming your time trying to get all the little annoying issues worked through but have you any idea when you are going to get back on CRLS?
It will probably be awhile yet, Dan. The new car is sitting in the middle of my workspace, so I need to make a decision about what stays and what goes. I've used storage facilities in the past for my overflow, but I'm not really a fan of that... and neither is our insurance company. My inclination is to move the Ford on down the road via private buyer, consignment or auction once I've sorted the last of the bugs out of it. I can tell already it will never be a "long hauler". And it seems a shame to just take it to the same weekly cruise-in's over and over for half the year and stash it away during the winter. Regardless, it will be a few months before I can make room for CRLS in the shop.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:19 PM   #1470
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Kewl... I hate to see the Ford go... that is such a Sweet car but I get it...

Old 03-05-2016, 10:14 AM   #1471
Possmguts

I see the last post was about the end of August... Has there been anything done since then on this truck? I spent the morning looking through this thread and I gotta say... I want to call the scrap yard to come and mine now... 2 years into it and no one helping me at all, and this beeing the first real build I've done, I feel like I have done a horrible job so far on mine.... and I spend my entire weekends, every weekend in the garage.

The parts about the fitting and massaging body lines are Killing me!.

I do like the hood you've done. I'm working on mine now, and after a bunch of welding I have a big tin can... Added some bracing and will do some expanding foam under the braces to see if that helps. But if not, its gonna be a PITA to un-do....

Any way... such a great job you have done. I hope you are still at it...

67 Short Bed under major construction
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=651356&page=8
Possmguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:14 PM   #1472
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possmguts View Post
I see the last post was about the end of August... Has there been anything done since then on this truck? I spent the morning looking through this thread and I gotta say... I want to call the scrap yard to come and mine now... 2 years into it and no one helping me at all, and this beeing the first real build I've done, I feel like I have done a horrible job so far on mine.... and I spend my entire weekends, every weekend in the garage.
Nothing has happened with Crusty since it went into mothballs. (See the forlorn shots of it parked upstairs next to the wife's car.) I finished my '57 Ford last year, went to a few cruises/shows and now it's slated to run thru the Mecum auction a week from today. Assuming it sells, I'll have the space and funds to pick back up on CRLS. I've had a lot of time to think about the direction I want to go with it and right now, I'm leaning toward switching to 5 lug, discs, new rolling stock and LS power.

I looked thru your thread and you've done some great work. If it's any consolation, I've never been happy with any build I've done. I think that's what drives me to do better on the next one. A good chassis builder buddy of mine told me many years ago, "No one looks at your stuff closer than you do." I know it's true, but it's tough to remember when you know where all the warts are.

I've always done 90% of the work by my lonesome just because I'm a picky bastard. That said, I'm lucky to have great friends willing to assist on the other 10%. The garage is my sanctuary and I never consider the time to be wasted... even when I'm leaning up against the bench and dreaming about how everything is gonna come together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possmguts View Post
The parts about the fitting and massaging body lines are Killing me!.

I do like the hood you've done. I'm working on mine now, and after a bunch of welding I have a big tin can... Added some bracing and will do some expanding foam under the braces to see if that helps. But if not, its gonna be a PITA to un-do....

Any way... such a great job you have done. I hope you are still at it...
Your hood looks great. Kinda reminds me of a similar treatment I saw on B!tchin' Rides as I recall. Hope the bracing works. Just be sure to use the two part 3M expanding foam and not the Home Depot stuff. Like they say in poker, "No balls, no blue chips."
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2016, 01:54 PM   #1473
jlsanborn

Yessss!
Old 03-05-2016, 04:20 PM   #1474
jeh

Man Vic, I hoping to see some progress!!!!
'13 Ford RAPTOR 6.2

MY BUILD THREAD http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=612623
jeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #1475
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Glad to see you are,still around... I should be painting Fenders and hood tomorrow for Raymond... I wish I could go to Mecum but to many family things interfering with pleasure...;-)