The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2018, 12:03 PM   #1
Dmaxmoe

Interior Insulation and Sound Deadener

I’ve been looking into doing the layered sound treatment as per sound deadener show down and have a few questions for the people who have added some extra layers. My cab is completely stripped and going for paint soon, so I will be adding it as high up the firewall as possible and pretty much everywhere I can reach.

Regarding the factory firewall insulation, is there much use trying to install this over top of the layer of MLV? And does it fit with units like old air and vintage air? My thoughts were to use the push pins that hold the factory insulation to the firewall to instead secure the MLV.

As for the carpet, is there enough room for jute backed carpet, or just try and use no/thin backing? Any issues with accelerator pedal or anything else for that matter after adding all the extra layers?
Dmaxmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:11 PM   #2
JMC1965

Re: Interior Insulation and Sound Deadener

I didn't start w/ a stripped cab....but if I did I probably would have used a spray on...then MLV.

What I did do after I stripped seat, carpet, removed non-working AC, and removed tank...Damplifier pro followed by Luxury Liner Pro as far as I could reach. Followed by custom carpet.

Lot's of choices and a lot of threads on this one...forum provided significant information.

I can say it's made a huge difference. Still have the wind noise...but that's part of the charm
  • 4L60e / 4 wheel disc brakes
  • 20" American Racing VN327 & 245/50/20 Michelin

Last edited by JMC1965; 01-14-2018 at 12:11 PM. Reason: typo
JMC1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #3
notsolo

Re: Interior Insulation and Sound Deadener

I did not find out about MLV until a few yrs ago, I went with fatman 80 mil, and 2 layers of closed cell foam.( from low buck rod ) Spray adhesive on fatman after its rolled out, ran the foam all the way up the firewall, and some on sides and under dash as far as you feel up to dealing with. The original 1/8 " foam under the floor mats makes a good pattern for over the hump area, leave extra long. The stock Interior carpet has a little jute backing, un
ess you pay for thicker version.
Attached Images

notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote