The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-16-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
jcwren

Extra holes in wood bed angle strip?

Any idea why there would be three extra holes on the driver's side angle strip? These would be the 2nd, 4th, and 5th holes, counting from the left. The right most hole is the closest to the cab.

The angle strips had already been installed and the truck painted when I bought it.
Attached Images

jcwren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 05:39 PM   #2
notsolo

Re: Extra holes in wood bed angle strip?

Don't know about the Stepside, but the fleetside had 2 extra hole for in bed tire carrier, bracket.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
jcwren

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsolo View Post
Don't know about the Stepside, but the fleetside had 2 extra hole for in bed tire carrier, bracket.

Thanks!
Old 03-22-2019, 03:13 PM   #4
Keith Seymore

In bed spare tire carrier was not available with stepside.

The P13 bed mount spare for stepside mounted it outside the bed, nested in the corresponding scallop in the fender.

Maybe who ever built the truck used a fleetside angle piece.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:36 PM   #5
Boog
laying low

Reading this topic got my curiosity up so I went out and looked at my unrestored original '69 short stepside bed. It has a full fender and never had an under bed spare carrier. Mine does have an in bed spare tire mount that I've always thought was a factory option. Keith said this was not offered for stepside beds and I value his knowledge of all things regarding GM trucks so I did some more looking at mine today and took some pics and opened the box of new bed angles I bought last year to compare with my originals and jcwren's.
I first thought my in bed mount was factory but upon further examination it appears to have been welded at some time about half way up. They did a nice job and painted it a matching green to the truck so I don't know if it was welded because it cracked over time or if it was cut down to fit the stepside bed. The bottom bolted to the wear strip with matching carriage head bolts.
The extra bolts in the left side angle strips on mine bolt to angle braces under the floor you can see in the pics. The right side does not have these braces or extra bolts. Also my new angles do not have these extra holes punched in them. I've laid the new ones next to the original ones for comparison. Now I have to wonder if new stepsides came with a spare at all if it did not have the P13 fender mount. Also of all the many pics I have of 67-72 stepside trucks I have only a couple with outside mounts and none with inside bed mounts and none with under bed mounts. I've never give it any thought until now.
Attached Images

91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:39 PM   #6
Boog
laying low

New angle strip holes punched for comparison.
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2019, 03:15 PM   #7
Keith Seymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boog View Post
Reading this topic got my curiosity up so I went out and looked at my unrestored original '69 short stepside bed. It has a full fender and never had an under bed spare carrier. Mine does have an in bed spare tire mount that I've always thought was a factory option. Keith said this was not offered for stepside beds and I value his knowledge of all things regarding GM trucks so I did some more looking at mine today and took some pics and opened the box of new bed angles I bought last year to compare with my originals and jcwren's.
I first thought my in bed mount was factory but upon further examination it appears to have been welded at some time about half way up. They did a nice job and painted it a matching green to the truck so I don't know if it was welded because it cracked over time or if it was cut down to fit the stepside bed. The bottom bolted to the wear strip with matching carriage head bolts.
The extra bolts in the left side angle strips on mine bolt to angle braces under the floor you can see in the pics. The right side does not have these braces or extra bolts. Also my new angles do not have these extra holes punched in them. I've laid the new ones next to the original ones for comparison. Now I have to wonder if new stepsides came with a spare at all if it did not have the P13 fender mount. Also of all the many pics I have of 67-72 stepside trucks I have only a couple with outside mounts and none with inside bed mounts and none with under bed mounts. I've never give it any thought until now.
I mounted mine inside the box on my '80, using portions of the underbed carrier.

K
Attached Images

1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 08:43 PM   #8
Boog
laying low

Those braces under the left side angle strip are there from factory. I went back out and slid under to get these two shots. For some reason that left side received a double layered reinforcement in that area which explains the extra bolts for jcwren. My new angle strips do not have the additional holes so I'll have to drill them. No doubt a difference in suppliers.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2019, 09:17 AM   #9
jcwren

Thanks for that investigation, Boog, that explains them. I can, of course, fill them with a bolt, but I'd just as soon not have them. Lack of symmetry triggers my OCD (or CDO, if you sort the letters properly).

OTOH, I do lack a spare tire. I switched to an in-frame tank, and have no place for a spare now.