The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-02-2003, 11:31 AM   #1
Ackattack

Holley question

I got a free Holley 600 (1460 series I think...don't remmeber number) with electric choke from a guy at work. He said that it leak fuel out the top and thought it was the rear float.

I'm not familiar with Holley's and I can't find a manual of what the setting on the float should be. Anyone know where I can get a manual or book on Holley's?

Also, the same guy has a 750 double pumper that he want to trade me for my 600 Edelbrock. I'm thinking it's a good deal for both of us. It doesn't have electric choke, but neither does my Edelbrock, so that's not much of an issue. I've been reading that the edelbrocks are set up rich. Do you think I can pick up any fuel mileage with the Holley 750 or the 600 (assuming I get it running right)

I was thinking I may keep the 750 and add electric choke to it, and then sell the Holley 600 to finance upgrading the 750. What do you think. This is all on a mildly hopped up 327...see sig.
Ackattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 11:53 AM   #2
tom hand
CCRider

Most holleys have a sight plug in the side of the bowl...You remove the plug and adjust the needle and seat with the screw/locknut on top of the bowl till the fuel barely dribbles out the hole. There are tons of books on holleys out there, go to a bookstore. The chance of getting better mileage with a 750 double pumper over a 600 edelbrock is exactly the same as the chance of monkeys flying out of your arse. Just kidding. Double pumpers really work best with a stick, vacuum secondarys are better for automatics
Old 09-02-2003, 02:44 PM   #3
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

If the fuel leaked out the vent, it was probably the front float. It may need replacing, but if it still floats and you still can't get the float adjusted by taking the plug out of the side of the bowl, then you probably need to replace the needle and seat or just get it rebuilt. I've done this several times on mine, but if you haven't done it before yourself, then it may be best to let a pro do it.

As far as fuel mileage with the 750 double pumper, it has less to do with the jetting than it does with the flow through the carb. The 750 is way more carb than you need on a 327, and you should get plenty of fuel through the 600 to prevent any loss of potential power in your engine.

HG
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote