The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #1
bigblock73
yeller

Bigblocks '77 truck

OK, figured I would get a buld thread going for my "new to me" 77 C10. This will be a VERY slow moving thread, as I only work on it when I have the time and motivation to do so...not to mention this is at the bottom of the list of things I HAVE to get done (behind the family, house, and my '73 rebuild).

Picked up this '77 from a used car lot in 2008, I was looking for something that wasn't too nice, and something I could use to make hardware store runs in as well as house/yard maintenance.

The truck is powered by an almighty 250 inline six, and backed by a th350 transmission that slips until it gets warmed up. The entire body has had "repairs" done to it over time, including partially installed floor pans, cab corners/rockers, rear pillars, different bed, one new fender, doors are messed up, hood is shot, and the drivers window didn't go up/down all the way....just to name a few things. While that might be enough to scare away most people, I love these trucks, and actually had most of the parts at home to fix or repair these areas...waiting for new life on another truck.

Plans for the truck are as follows:
Exterior will be a two tone, pastel blue with a white roof, with some mild pinstriping. I am going for a retro low buck look. Interior will be blue, 81-87, removed from the '90 Suburban I parted out. Truck will be static dropped, 5/6 or so, wheels will be steel with chrome centers. I am keeping it straight six powered, but will be using a 292 instead of the 250. I will also be fuel injecting it, and running a 200r4. Things may change along the way, but that is the plan as of 2009.

Anyhow, enough background on the truck...here are some pictures of it the day I brought it home.
Attached Images

Last edited by bigblock73; 11-12-2010 at 04:54 PM.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
bigblock73
yeller

Re: Bigblocks '77 truck

First thing to go on the truck were the incorrect 79/80 headlight bezels and grill. The grill was actually very nice, and I was able to sell it here on the board, the bezels were shot and are collecting dust in my garage now.

In place of those items are the grill, mounting brackets/grill support, bezels and markers from my '73 (Yeller). I sandblasted the bracketry and painted it all semi gloss black. Installation was a breeze, and I am much happier with this front end (73/74 fronts are my favorite).
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
bigblock73
yeller

You will also notice in the pictures above, a box cover found it's way on to the bed. It is a Tekstyle cover, one I used to run on my '73 back in the 90's. While I was at it, I also had a few stickers made for 73-87.com and threw one on the back window.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #4
bigblock73
yeller

Next on the to-do list was to lose the fugly step bumper. I had a real hard time locating one locally, and the brackets for it. As luck would have it, I was traveling to Oklahoma with a friend one weekend (to pick up a '74 Dodge D100 stepside project), and located one on Craigslist near our route (Kansas City). I contacted the guy, and he drove 30 minutes out of his way to meet us and delivered the bumper and brackets! He was only asking $50 for everything, I gave him $75 and thanked him tremendously. The bumper is driver quality, but I had the brackets sandblasted and powdercoated. Huge improvement in my opinion.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #5
bigblock73
yeller

While junkyarding one day, I happend to stumble across a Blazer that had a real nice hood, no rust, and just a couple minor dents...unheard on a MN vehicle! I picked it up for $50, and promptly came home and replaced the rusted/bondoed hood that was on there.

EDIT: You will also notice the lack of bumper guards on the front. The front bumper on the truck was tweaked and rusting, I located another locally, and picked it up for $35! It is an aftermarket bumper, but it is NICE!
Attached Images

Last edited by bigblock73; 10-10-2009 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #6
bigblock73
yeller

One of the things that bugged me on the '77 was the inoperable turn signals, due to a faulty turn signal switch inside the column. After some help from several here on the board, I was able to replace it. While I had it apart, I also added an 88+ wheel.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
bigblock73
yeller

The tires on the truck were near bald, and cracking...not to mention they were too wide for my taste, and on the ugliest wheels possible IMO (wagon wheels). Since I am going for a low budget/plain jane look...I decided to run some 88+ steel wheels and centers. I had the wheels powdercoated gloss black, and tires were near new Firestone Destination LE's I got for real cheap (fronts are 225/75R15, rear are 235/75/R15). Due to their backspacing, I have to run spacers (which I found out after I had them coated), and I also had to track down the correct conversion lug nuts so I could run the centers and lug covers (I got the lugs and covers off eBay). All in all, I like the way they look...now I just need to lower the truck.
Attached Images

Last edited by bigblock73; 10-10-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #8
bigblock73
yeller

Kind of out of order, while I was working on the column, I decided to replace the incorrect non-tilt bench seat for a tiliting version. The bench that was in there was REAL nice, but I wanted one that tilted forward. I was able to sell the original seat locally, and picked up the new bench for $30. It too is nice, the wrong color, but nothing a new seat cover won't fix. Even if I would have kept the original seat, it too would need a new cover because the truck will be getting a new paint color and interior one day soon.

EDIT: The 292 I picked up (that is shown a little further down the page) is hiding under the tarp in the trailer...just some more fun facts and background peeking.
Attached Images

Last edited by bigblock73; 10-11-2009 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #9
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Congrats on the new truck, Jeff! Given the meticulous attention to detail on your last truck, I can't wait to see what you do with this one!
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
bigblock73
yeller

Thanks man, but this won't be as nice as my '73. I am not doing a body-off, as I want to keep it simple, affordable, and usable without having to worry about scratching this, or wrecking that. It'll be nice I hope, but not as nice as my '73, yours, or other trucks here on the board.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:42 PM   #11
JohnC

Truck looks great Jeff. It has come a long way in just a short time. the new bumpers helped a lot. Keep us updated. Something down the road after lowering and new paint. Something that would make those black wheels pop is some white walls.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:29 PM   #12
bigblock73
yeller

The latest upgrade to the '77 has been a complete static drop. Western Chassis flip kit in the rear (6"), Western Chassis 2.5" drop spindles and factory cut coil in the front (1.5 coils removed)...giving me approx 5.5/6 drop. All new Doetsch shocks on all four corners, upper/lower ball joint, inner/outer tie rod ends, new center sleeves, and sway bar bushings. I think I cut too much out of the coils, have some fender rub over medium size bumps...so might have to raise the front a little with new 2" drop coils, something I might putt off until spring. The rear was a PITA, half the bolts were siezed to the bushing sleeves, so I had the cut the bolts out. After all that, I found out I have a broken eyelet on one of the leafs...so new leafs were purchased. So much for the "low buck" approach...the budget was blown on this drop! Here is the only pic I have after the drop, I'll get some more soon and post them up.
Attached Images

Last edited by bigblock73; 10-10-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #13
bigblock73
yeller

OK, the following pictures kind of suck, but I wasn't about to dig them out and storage and photograph them for presentation purposes.

First up is a cab, I have to replace the one currently on the truck. The cab on the truck is hacked together, with so much done to it, and as incorrectly as possible...it was easier and cheaper to find a cleaner cab. This one is from Texas, but I located it here in MN for $300. It only needs a small portion of the floor replaced (purchased a patch panel for it already), and one small spot near the door hinge area...otherwise it is completely rust and dent free. Plans are to strip it, repair it, paint it, and reassemble it...so I can hopafully do a complete cab swap over a weekend without a lot of down time for the '77. I would love to find a clean/un-cut interior wiring harness for a late 70's Scottsdale, or one with no power options or A/C. If anyone has a lead on one, please let me know!

Next in line is the 292 inline six I picked up for $75 from a somewhat local junkyard. It is complete, even has power steering on it! Plans are to build it to about 200-225 HP, and fuel inject it with the help of Affordable Fuel Injection...they have some pretty neat (and affordable) kits.

Kind of hard to see in this picture, but sitting atop the RC rack is the dash pad, door panels, seatbelt assemblies, and interior trim removed from our old '90 Scottsdale Suburban. The interior (blue in color) from the 'Burb will be going in the '77, and all the pieces are in near perfect shape.

Next up are the fenders. These are pretty much NOS fenders, I got the pair for $150. They were put on a mud truck, but never painted, and the mud truck was never really run before it was torn apart to build another. There is no rust and no dents, but a lot of scratches and scrapes. Regardless, these are in much better shape then the fenders that are currently on it. Not pictured, but in my possesion, are inner fenders I got from the same guy who sold me the cab. Mine are currently riddled with rust holes, these "new" ones are real clean, just needing a blasting and fresh coat of paint. $50 for the pair was his price, fair IMO.

Finally, doors. I got these doors off CL, both are used, but both were extremely cheap and in excellent condition with no rust or dents! I paid $80 total for both doors from different sellers. If you look closely, you can see part of a rust free BB core support I will be using on the '77 as well.

As you can see, I am really trying to keep this truck low budget, and I have done a lot of looking and digging to find these deals.
Attached Images

Last edited by bigblock73; 10-11-2009 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #14
menace121978

nice improvments Jeff. your defiantly heading in the right direction! looking good.. just need more pics after the drop

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #15
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Something that would make those black wheels pop is some white walls.
I have thought about that. I got a great deal on these tires, so I will run them until I need new ones...or come into some $$.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:09 PM   #16
bigblock73
yeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace121978 View Post
nice improvments Jeff. your defiantly heading in the right direction! looking good.. just need more pics after the drop
Hopefully tomorrow I'll take some and post them. I am kicking myself right now for going coil-cut-crazy...should have done 1 coil, not 1.5!

Last edited by bigblock73; 10-10-2009 at 09:09 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #17
silvereagle07

Great job Jeff! It's looking great with the drop and the sport bumper. Congrats.

'84 GMC project truck
'85 Chevy 4X4 SOLD
'07 Chevy Trailblazer SS

5th Annual SHPHC Car/Truck Show Pics
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=543605 UPDATED PICS! CHECK 'EM OUT
silvereagle07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:26 AM   #18
smashingchuck
It'd be alot cooler if you did

Jeff-
Looks great! Although I think if you are swapping cabs it is officially a "Frame off."

I know, I'm not helping.

4Runner Build
smashingchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 11:46 AM   #19
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Nice work so far Jeff. I'm digging the look.

I like the wide white idea, but I think you should take it another direction for now. I would paint the hood satin black. Since your bed cover is black, it would tie it together with the black wheels.

I know you plan to paint it eventually, but in the meantime this would give it a muscle truck look.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"

Last edited by N2TRUX; 10-11-2009 at 11:46 AM.
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:32 PM   #20
SBTork
Garage wrench

The black hood idea is a great one, I think it would work really well and be cheap too.

The truck is coming along, I want to keep a close eye on your fuel injected 292. For some reason that is very intriguing to me. And slow progress is better than none.

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #21
JohnC

That is a really cool idea Ken.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:27 PM   #22
bigblock73
yeller

OK, took the '77 out today and snapped some pictures. After looking at it real close, I like the way the front sits, but the back is still too high. I am going to put some narrower spacers on front to see if that helps my tire clearance issues slightly, and will install drop shackles and the c-notch kit I have first thing in the spring (truck doesn't see winter).

Ken, the black hood idea isn't too bad of an idea. If someone here can photoshop that for me, awesome! Otherwise, I'll add it to the spring to-do list.

On with the pictures!
Attached Images

Last edited by bigblock73; 10-11-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #23
bigblock73
yeller

Last two
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #24
SBTork
Garage wrench

I agree with you about the stance, the front is about perfect but the rear needs to be brought down. That and a black hood, this truck should look real good come some warmer weather.

90 V1500 GMC Suburban 350/700R4/NP241.....
01 Saturn SL1 stock DD.....
SBTork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #25
boatpuller

looks good.your right on track with the c notch.it'll sit perfect then.