The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-01-2017, 11:11 PM   #15
MASTERBrian

Re: Brake boosters

The booster is in, except for the lower two bolts. Apparently I'll have to stand on my head to get them tightened.

As for the pushrod, I cut the end off the booster pushrod, then threaded it with 3/8 16. I then opted for the clevis end vs the factory Heim style connection. My main reason for this was what I had and I didn't have a long enough, threaded, 7/16 20 bolt nor could I find a die to make my own. The clevis I found had a 3/8" rod, so even though the clevis end was 20 or 24 pitched threads, I threaded the other end to the 3/8 16, which now matches the pushrod going into the booster. I joined those two rods with a coupling nut threaded to match and locked it in place with a nut on either end. If I loosen the nut near the clevis, I can easily adjust the pedal freeplay then lock it back in place.

Obviously it needs some paint, imo at least, but so does the rest of the under dash. Just nice to finally have this step behind me.

I am somewhat considering looking for a longer 7/16 20 bolt or die and eventually creating an end using the factory bracket to pedal. If I do this, I'll drill out half of the coupling nut and run a tap into it to create the 7/16 20 thread to match the factory end. But that's just me being a bit anal and wanting to keep as much original as I can for ease later down the road.

Now if I can just get the rest of the lines finished, I'll have brakes. Next fuel lines and tank, figuring out why parking lights don't work and getting her registered and onto the road!
Attached Images

MASTERBrian is offline   Reply With Quote