The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
The_BullDog

i don't know how i did it but i need help to fix it

I have a 77 C10 with a 12 bolt rear end. i got a djm 5in flip and some 3in drop spindles. My truck was level when i started. i pulled off my leaf springs it is a stock 4 leaf but the PO took off the bottom small leaf. So i was sitting level with 3 leafs. took the leafs and shackles off sanded them painted them and put new bushings in. i re-install everything the way it was befor. I put the flip kit brackets above the leaft so the bolt fit in the offcentered hole with the holes towards the cab.i placed the rear end into the brackets and put the U bolts back on.

here's the problem.

using my stock spring plates i don't have enought clearance to put the shock extender on the mounting bracket. (i was sent the wrong shocks anyways but still i need shocks on the truck.
with the stock spring plate on and no shocks on my pass side is sitting a good 1 to 1.5 inches lower then the driver side.

what did i do wrong? how can i fix this? why is it so hard to just flip a rear end.

i have done flips befor and never had a problem.
The_BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: i don't know how i did it but i need help to fix it

My first thought is are you SURE it was level before? Its not uncommon for these trucks to have a lean thats not noticed until its lowered.

If you are sure, its possible the new bushings, painted leaves, etc are binding enough to cause it. It might settle once you get some drive time on it.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

When you tighten the leaf spring bolts,... ALL of the trucks weight needs to be on the truck.
Did you perhaps tighten the leaf spring bolts with the truck in the air with no weight on the leaf springs?
Maybe you preloaded one side more than the other.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 03-03-2011 at 07:20 AM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 11:30 AM   #4
The_BullDog

thanks for the info guys. I went and got the right shocks and that brought it up alittle to match but the pass side is still down about half an inch but i didn't put the weight of the truck on the springs when i tightened them so i will redo those.

I do have another issue: (I hope someone can help with this) I took the truck out for the first run around the block and i have a hard clanging sound when i step on the gas every now and again. Any ideas?
The_BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote