The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-22-2021, 01:47 AM   #1
1969longHornc20

1969 longhorn c20 advice

Hi there new member here with a few question. Firstly I inherited my grandfathers truck and now want to throw some money at it and fix it up. Its a 396 with a 4 speed and a rock crusher gear. I want to do disc brake and am unsure if normal c10 aftermarket suspension parts will bolt up properly on this c20. Also is my 396 a good motor too build for performance? Or should I search for a ls or 454? Lastly What is a good transmission to put behind that motor and keep it a manual transmission. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
1969longHornc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:24 AM   #2
FirstOwner69

Re: 1969 longhorn c20 advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969longHornc20 View Post
Hi there new member here with a few question. Firstly I inherited my grandfathers truck and now want to throw some money at it and fix it up. Its a 396 with a 4 speed and a rock crusher gear. I want to do disc brake and am unsure if normal c10 aftermarket suspension parts will bolt up properly on this c20. Also is my 396 a good motor too build for performance? Or should I search for a ls or 454? Lastly What is a good transmission to put behind that motor and keep it a manual transmission. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated.
First, welcome aboard! You will meet more knowledgeable, helpful fellow truck owners here than anywhere else. The knowledge base is unbelievable.

Second, this post, as well as others of a general nature related to 67-72 trucks, will probably get more responses in the "The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board" just below where you posted this.

Here is one example of what is available here for front disc brake conversions. I'll let those with more knowledge add to this and answer your other questions.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Also, at the right end of the top "bar" of each forum there is search field you'll find very helpful.