The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-13-2020, 12:00 PM   #1
chewychevy67

Do you ever think about Ev taking over gas power

I have put a lot of time and money into my 67 gmc build over the last 10 years. I'm getting to my final stage of the build before assembly now. When I started the build there was really no push for electric vehicles and I had no doubts about building a gas powered vehicle but as times have changed and I continue to read about these vehicles coming in faster than I ever thought would happen, I wonder if building this vehicle is actually going to be worth it in the long run. In reality if they pan out in 15 years gas powered vehicles could be history. How long will gasoline be available for? Any thoughts on this?
chewychevy67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:10 PM   #2
Warrens69GMC

Re: Do you ever think about Ev taking over gas power

Video-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUC6lsLr04I
Warrens69GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:27 PM   #3
weq92f

My thoughts often stray over to this subject. While I believe EVs are the future of automotive transportation ( more specifically: both individual and mass transportation on the ground ), the prevalence of gasoline powered engines in use today across the planet for all manner of other purposes tells me that the fuel itself will not be going away any time soon. It is likely that major consumers of it will be regulated out of existence long before gasoline is phased out completely. That is, I think we will see EVs replace gasoline powered automobiles and trucks before we see gasoline become unavailable altogether.

What I hope to see is that enthusiasts like us get a carve out so that we may still play with our old petrol technology power plants in our classic iron cars. Imagine a future where the only time you see/hear a classic rumbling down the street is on the weekends near a car show!

-klb
99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:33 PM   #4
chewychevy67

That was a good video. Thanks for sharing that
chewychevy67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 04:32 PM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

Here's a video from earlier this year on the oil extraction and refining industries. Remember that as long as plastic is ubiquitous in the world gasoline will be available. The $20,000 question is at what price? And it will always be easier to convert our trucks to electric power than a 70 Barracuda or a 65 Mustang.
Enjoy the videos. I have really enjoyed the Wendover videos on air travel.

https://gcaptain.com/video-how-offshore-oil-rigs-work/

https://youtu.be/lNYPdxSK7Do
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:10 PM   #6
CABLESCUM

We have been busy using up the worlds oil supply for quite some time, so we’ll have all that’s left in the end. After/if that runs out by the time I’m done, I’ll just get a bigger still and run Ethanol(whatever I don’t drink)🍺😝
................................................................................
MY SONS TRUCK: https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=812054
CABLESCUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:48 PM   #7
lutronjim

I posted this some time ago - it was moved.
GM was considering a 'connect and cruise' EV package
lutronjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:24 PM   #8
mr48chev

Think of it this way, every all electric vehicle reduces the competition for gas or petroleum based fuel.. That may include your daily drive to work rig that doesn't drink the gas that your fun rig uses.

Those of us who live in the west outside of the I 5 corridor or major cities can honestly say that there are areas of the west were all electric vehicles may never be practical for anything except local driving. Next gas 110 miles signs aren't uncommon. Plug ins will be a lot harder to find in those areas for a long time.

As the cost of the batteries comes down or aftermarket units become available I see more guys powering their rides with electric though. Battery packs don't take up that much room in the bed or hidden under a raised bed floor in a C 10 and those Tesla electric motors/drive trains may come available at an affordable price to where guys think about doing the swap and the bigger sedans rip as far acceleration goes.

Still I am not getting in an uproar over it, Look at the guys on here who stuck an LS in their trucks and with the right combo seriously upped their gas mileage and have a lot stronger running truck to boot.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:41 PM   #9
1976gmc20

Just where is all this electricity supposed to come from ?????

CA can't even run AC right now.
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:11 PM   #10
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post

That was my exact thought. Our electrical grid as a whole can barely meet current demand and nobody seems to want to pay to upgrade it, and shifting to environmentally friendly options aren't helping... Wind turbines don't run on a calm day, solar panels don't collect solar on a cloudy day and we still don't have a good way to store it. CA has to buy electricity from neighboring states to fill in the gaps their "green" energy creates, and it's still not enough.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:11 PM   #11
lousyflyer

What is needed is a modern day Nikola Tesla. Someone with the genius of forward thought not saddled by small minded developers.

Tesla had many theories that we could use now, like avoiding power line losses by transmitting electricity through the air. Or encouraging lightning strikes at predetermined locations so the energy could be captured and utilized.

We should probably overlook his phobia about not eating food unless it was divided into portions divisible by the number three.
Or being creeped out by women with things on their ears.

Tesla - Innovator, Genius, Confirmed bachelor.
lousyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 12:12 AM   #12
57taskforce
All about them K’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
That was my exact thought. Our electrical grid as a whole can barely meet current demand and nobody seems to want to pay to upgrade it, and shifting to environmentally friendly options aren't helping... Wind turbines don't run on a calm day, solar panels don't collect solar on a cloudy day and we still don't have a good way to store it. CA has to buy electricity from neighboring states to fill in the gaps their "green" energy creates, and it's still not enough.
They can’t even buy coal power from anyone. The coal plant 2 miles from my house used to sell to them until it became illegal to use coal fired electricity in CA. I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before they ban the usage of Gas fired electricity as well if they haven’t already.

Like it or not fossil fuels aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. 99% of everything you consume on a daily basis has underpinnings to fossil fuels in some way or another, whether it’s diesel fuel used to transport it, the electricity used to make it, the oil used to make it; crude oil goes into way more than just plastic, hell even the solar panels and wind turbines require parts made with crude.
I feed my family with oil and gas money and I’m proud to be producing American Oil and gas. If I was concerned about the long term viability of my industry I would have left a long time ago. There’s just too much of a foundation in fossil fuels for the Nation let alone the rest of the world to jump ship in oil in the next 50 to 100 years.

As for electric cars, the battery tech is going to have to get way better before they’ll ever be useful out here in the west. 100+ mile intervals with no towns, gas stations, or charging infrastructure makes it pretty tough. I can count on one hand, the Tesla’s I’ve seen here and they all had out of state plates. No one is going to buy them here until they can get more range.
‘69 K10 SWB http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=805206
'98 Silverado LT K2500HD ECLB Vortec 454/4l80E: 6" lift 315/75/16's
‘87 IROC-Z all original 50K mile survivor TPI 305 IROC Blue
‘10 Camaro 2SS/RS Aqua Blue Metallic #93 -version 2.0

Last edited by 57taskforce; 09-14-2020 at 12:29 AM.
57taskforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 01:07 AM   #13
franken

The power has to come from somewhere. Power generation needs to double, yet there are rolling blackouts in CA.
Wind and solar are small contributors and unreliable. The only answer is nuclear power, which is unpopular. Buying an electric car that actually runs on electricity generated by coal and gas, then claiming to be an environmentalist is dumb as well as inefficient. Each conversion creates inefficiencies.
The raw material for batteries is difficult to mine and hard on the environment.

People say we need to stop using fossil fuels, but I don't see the masses moving into trees, or caves, and no one stopping the buying of stuff from China, the largest polluter on the planet.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:42 AM   #14
yuccales

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutronjim View Post
I posted this some time ago - it was moved.
GM was considering a 'connect and cruise' EV package
If this was the post about the "E-10", very interesting.

https://electrek.co/2019/11/05/gm-el...ncept-bolt-ev/
Attached Images

yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:21 AM   #15
special-K
Special Order

The energy issues in today's world that need to be solved for the future are fossil fuel powered motor vehicles and, more so, electric generation as we know it today. I see electric cars as a short sighted band aid solution. On the green side of things, hydro-electric has always been a green way of generation going back to the beginnings of electricity use. But today those are now being decommissioned and destroyed to allow rivers to run free. I see a puppy chasing it's tail and I am all about nature and rivers running free. The fact is, something has to be sacrificed to support the need for electricity that the world is undoubtedly dependent on. Wind is a great solution for electric generation, but we even have people complaining they are eye sores or they kill birds. The same people have no problem with swathes of forest cleared away for powerlines of monster-like framework crossing the landscape. I don't see EV taking the place of gas powered cars. They, like so many other notions and concepts in the world are completely based on urban/suburban mentality. These people eat food and rely on natural resources, including water, that come from parts of the world they can't see so therefore tend to not have them in mind. We also have the right to choose where we live and what type of lifestyle we choose. And many chose to not live on top of each other in the name of convenience and a sense of security that are as false as they are real. I wouldn't worry about what the agenda pushers/so called forward thinkers are predicting. I see them as more interested in selling their product as being concerned for society. Just a new field to make money in our capitalist world.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 09-14-2020 at 12:58 PM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:55 AM   #16
1976gmc20

Quote:
encouraging lightning strikes at predetermined locations so the energy could be captured and utilized.
Great Scott! One point two jigga-watts!
1958 Chevy C-60; 1965 GMC C-50; 1965 Chevy C-10; 1971 Chevy K-10; 1973 Chevy K-20; 1976 GMC C-20; 1977 Chevy C-10 Suburban; 1980 Chevy K-10; 1989 Chevy K1500; 1991 GMC V1500 Suburban; 2016 Chevy K2500 HD

Other vehicles: 1988 Jeep XJ; 2011 Toyota 4Runner
1976gmc20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:32 AM   #17
Grumpy old man

One good solar flare or EMP and the "greenies" will be burning anything they can get that burns , and a first gen v8/6 manual with a points dist will be worth it's weight in gold .

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:47 PM   #18
The Rocknrod

Tesla is dead, we have people right now with the brains he had. Look what some of the leaders in the field are accomplishing already. For some reason people think "We need some good old fashion UFO technology", Not gonna happen. If, when or as the technology is useful it will be embraced and sold on the open market. There and only there will it work, when and as it works for people. I'm not at all worried because it will be embraced and used the better it becomes. Give it time to develop. The more it's developed and used the less fossil fuels are used. Is that good? I'll say this, unless certain states can open up the power plant construction market it wont be I know that.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:25 PM   #19
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post

That's exactly what I have always thought. How much are states going to have to update their power grids in order to accommodate all the EVs? How much is that going to cost? Some are already on the ragged edge of being under powered (if that's the correct term). How is all the electricity going to be generated? Sorry, but I don't believe that there will ever be enough solar panels or wind mills to generate that kind of power. I will stick with my gas powered cars and trucks.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 07:22 PM   #20
Boog
laying low

I don't think it will happen in my remaining years. Therefore I am still putting money into this '69 with a carb'd gas burner.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 08:19 PM   #21
special-K
Special Order

Let me answer the question asked in the title. No

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
Old 09-15-2020, 02:02 AM   #22
lousyflyer

Here is what I believe will occur in the next 50 years:

1. Gasoline engines will be phased out of production passenger vehicles.
2. Fuel for internal combustion engines will become too expensive for the
average car owner, leaving only racers and hardcore collectors as customers.
3. Autonamously driven vehicles will take over, further increasing the need to
remove human drivers from the road.

And here's the one that is absolutely inevitable -
4. Cars will only be available for lease periods, after which you turn the vehicle
in for recycling. This removes unsafe or outdated systems from the road.

If you do happen to own a manually driven gas vehicle, the insurance companies will not cover it. So you can only drive it around your yard or at special events.

The horseless carriage is about to to follow the horse drawn carriage into obscurity.
lousyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:53 AM   #23
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

It's been tried before.

But I hope Tesla Motors does well. I own stock in it.

I personally don't see much difference between a Corolla and a Tesla except the Tesla hauls ass. I bought my daughter a Corolla (Yawn) It's a good car but it is so dull.

I don't think you can compare them to a 69 Z28 They are two different animals.
But when it comes to the boring cars today. Really... Whats the difference?

I drive older cars. Because I enjoy them. I enjoy the rumble and the smell of the exhaust. But I put my loved ones in new safe cars.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:31 AM   #24
prairewolf

if they did, when you are stuck on the side of the road, you won't have to tell the mechanic that the problem might be electrical. ... wait a minute, it won't be a mechanic, it will be an electrician.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:24 AM   #25
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by lousyflyer View Post
Here is what I believe will occur in the next 50 years:

1. Gasoline engines will be phased out of production passenger vehicles.
2. Fuel for internal combustion engines will become too expensive for the
average car owner, leaving only racers and hardcore collectors as customers.
3. Autonamously driven vehicles will take over, further increasing the need to
remove human drivers from the road.

And here's the one that is absolutely inevitable -
4. Cars will only be available for lease periods, after which you turn the vehicle
in for recycling. This removes unsafe or outdated systems from the road.

If you do happen to own a manually driven gas vehicle, the insurance companies will not cover it. So you can only drive it around your yard or at special events.

The horseless carriage is about to to follow the horse drawn carriage into obscurity.
Actually, if I would still be around in 50 years when all this you predict comes to be, I see the return of the horse drawn days. Things would be beyond my threshold of tolerance and I would gladly step outside of society and leave the grid entirely. That doesn't sound like a world I'd ever want to live in

Tim