The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-21-2013, 08:34 PM   #276
VA72C10
VA72C10

Re: 1970 GMC Suburban... for the family

Congrats! I've got #4 on the way...they're all such a blessing!
Old 09-24-2013, 12:23 AM   #277
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Gotta love cell phone pictures.

This is what I have been up to when I cant make lots of noise working on the body on my brother's truck because the kids are sleeping.

I got the T-case 95% done. I am holding off on installing the front output until I am sure which one will cause less clearance issues with the 700R4. I have the flange type and a 1350.

30 spline '85 MD8 case 700R4. Nothing special. Torn down and bagged up for a rebuild with a few improvements from Sonnax and the conversion output shaft. Ignore the claw hammer. I lost track of where I put it yesterday after me and my wife had been working on a project for above the mantel.

This is how it is currently sitting. I had a 69-72 Chevy fender that was in really nice shape sitting around, so I threw it on in place of the one that got smashed in the accident. I started putting suspension and axles back on it.

YOU ONLY FAIL IF YOU STOP TRYING

70 Crew Cab Build Link

70 GMC Suburban 4X4 build thread

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
jbclassix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:18 PM   #278
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Looking good! At least it is some progress huh?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #279
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Thanks, Ryan! If something better comes along, I may just do this with the 700R4

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 10-15-2013, 11:19 PM   #280
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

So I’m going to talk religion here for a moment, automatic transmissions. I am building a 700R4 for the Burb for several reasons; choice (other than preference over a 3 speed auto) is not one of them. I really have very little invested in parts between the transmission and the transfer case so far, and I would like to keep it that way. In all honesty, the Burb would be rolling now if a guard rail hadn’t claimed the 350/4L80E/NP241. But cause, effect, and just wanting to drive it again have driven me to this road I leisurely embark.

Having barely any experience rebuilding anything lighter duty than a 4L80E, I set out in the pursuit of knowledge, which led me to purchase this book.

If you have never torn into an automatic transmission, and intend to rebuild your own 700R4, or know what you want a transmission shop to build for you, I recommend reading this book at least. If you have ever rebuilt an automatic transmission, ever, I wouldn’t waste your time. I was disappointed to say the least. I originally bought this book knowing that the 700R4 had several weak points for the particular year I am building (1985 built) so I was in search of what I could do to beef up the internals without going overboard. Honestly, I didn’t find what I was looking for in this book. When I was 16 I had another book that was step by step instructions for teardown, cleaning, inspection, and rebuild of GM’s TH350, TH400, (their variants), 700R4, and 200-4R. I wish I still had that book. I will be buying the ATSG manual for assembly.

I got more information from watching this video about what I should do to the internals from watching this video on You-can-build-your-own-nucleat-submarine-tube.com.

But with every auto builder, there is a difference of opinion on certain internal part choices (religion). There are several components that the majority agrees on, so I will take them as sound advice. But things like the 5 pinion planetary, I’ll stick with my 4. In any case, when I am done with this transmission, I will have a stout unit that should last behind a bone stock TBI 350 and turning 4.10 gears with nothing taller than a 33” tire. Expect plenty of tech, probably the same way I did for the NP205.

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 10-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #281
maynardtruckin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclassix View Post
So I’m going to talk religion here for a moment, automatic transmissions. I am building a 700R4 for the Burb for several reasons; choice (other than preference over a 3 speed auto) is not one of them. I really have very little invested in parts between the transmission and the transfer case so far, and I would like to keep it that way. In all honesty, the Burb would be rolling now if a guard rail hadn’t claimed the 350/4L80E/NP241. But cause, effect, and just wanting to drive it again have driven me to this road I leisurely embark.

Having barely any experience rebuilding anything lighter duty than a 4L80E, I set out in the pursuit of knowledge, which led me to purchase this book.

If you have never torn into an automatic transmission, and intend to rebuild your own 700R4, or know what you want a transmission shop to build for you, I recommend reading this book at least. If you have ever rebuilt an automatic transmission, ever, I wouldn’t waste your time. I was disappointed to say the least. I originally bought this book knowing that the 700R4 had several weak points for the particular year I am building (1985 built) so I was in search of what I could do to beef up the internals without going overboard. Honestly, I didn’t find what I was looking for in this book. When I was 16 I had another book that was step by step instructions for teardown, cleaning, inspection, and rebuild of GM’s TH350, TH400, (their variants), 700R4, and 200-4R. I wish I still had that book. I will be buying the ATSG manual for assembly.

I got more information from watching this video about what I should do to the internals from watching this video on You-can-build-your-own-nucleat-submarine-tube.com.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idB8VA1bVLk

But with every auto builder, there is a difference of opinion on certain internal part choices (religion). There are several components that the majority agrees on, so I will take them as sound advice. But things like the 5 pinion planetary, I’ll stick with my 4. In any case, when I am done with this transmission, I will have a stout unit that should last behind a bone stock TBI 350 and turning 4.10 gears with nothing taller than a 33” tire. Expect plenty of tech, probably the same way I did for the NP205.
That is a great book. As someone who has rebuilt many 700r4/4l60/4l60e's before I picked up that book I found that book Informative when I picked it up for some light reading. It is nice to have it handy for customer questions.

67 c10 swb build in progress
70 c10 lwb driver pending parts for drastic overhaul
70 c20 lwb parts truck for above mentioned drastic overhaul
71 k20 lwb building for off road use and towing
maynardtruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:29 PM   #282
vectorit
What?

Full on respect to you on your endeavor to build an AT transmission like this.

Me... I look at any transmission, manual or AT and just sigh with a glassy eyed stare.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 08:45 PM   #283
y5mgisi
Second Chance Program

Its funny after you rebuild a auto trans and are successful and look back at how easy it was. At least for the 700r4, th350, and th400. Crazy easy.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #284
Longhorn 70

REALLY ??? THEY ARE Easy? Which is more difficult, a small block Chevy or a 700R4?

I hope I'm not hijacking.

I like the 700R4 that has been in my C20 since 97. It withstood my Big Block Olds that was mildly built then mated to a mild SBC and is still in good shape. It has taken some abuse. Like roasting 12x33x15s.

I can't wait to see that Burb in its road ready configuration. The sink is cool but still want to see the truck on the street.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 12:31 AM   #285
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Yep... It's like that.

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 10-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #286
Longhorn 70

Heh heh heh.... I wish I could have done that with my youngest. Enjoy whilst you can.

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #287
justcuz

What a cutie. Make sure not to get grease and gunk all over the carrier or God forbid on her delicate skin!
I used to hang mine on a bouncy chair in the garage. A buddy hung his baby on the back of the open tilt up garage door once and a spring broke! Scared the hell out of everybody!
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:28 PM   #288
RANDY COX

Just read through your build and it's awesome what your doing to make that burb a 4 dr.I know I miss my ole Burb 70 4x4 250 six 3 spd. Congrats on your little ones, I'm sure your loving every min cause they grow very fast as my twins just turned 17. Anymore updates.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:07 AM   #289
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn 70 View Post
Heh heh heh.... I wish I could have done that with my youngest. Enjoy whilst you can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
What a cutie. Make sure not to get grease and gunk all over the carrier or God forbid on her delicate skin!
I used to hang mine on a bouncy chair in the garage. A buddy hung his baby on the back of the open tilt up garage door once and a spring broke! Scared the hell out of everybody!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDY COX View Post
Just read through your build and it's awesome what your doing to make that burb a 4 dr.I know I miss my ole Burb 70 4x4 250 six 3 spd. Congrats on your little ones, I'm sure your loving every min cause they grow very fast as my twins just turned 17. Anymore updates.
Thanks, guys! No real updates. I am going through the Dana 60 right now when I get a few free minutes. Yesterday I chased the threads in the knuckles. I pulled the 4.10's out of an old rear that I had laying around. While I have it out I am going through everything. The King pins were just done by the PO, But I wanted to do the seals and change all the grease. While I was in there, I found one lower race that was iffy, so I pulled it tonight to replace it. I ordered the seals and race, but the pony express hasn't delivered them yet. I used the trusty 7018 bearing remover. Worked like a champ!

Still saving money to do the transmission rebuild. The suburban has become my time filler when I can't work on my brothers truck. I have a lot of cleaning, inspection, and assembly to do, so plenty to keep me busy.

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 10-31-2013, 01:15 AM   #290
justcuz

Jeremy,

I see your using the Tahoe/Blazer for a storage shelf. You still driving it? I have to put a rear end in my daughters 92. It will be receiving the one that came out of my 93 Suburban reusing her axles and bearings with some new seals. She blew up the gov-lock and destroyed the cover, carrier, and most of the gears. I am modifying the 93 Suburban 10 bolt to make it an LSD. I remove the flyweight and cam add some spacers and shims to tighten up the LSD and wa la, a reliable rear axle. 3 out of our 4 family vehicles have had 10 bolts with gov-locks explode. The advantage of using a Suburban rear axle is the rear brakes are 11 inches instead of 10. I have to slightly modify the shock mounts to make it fit properly.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:52 AM   #291
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
Jeremy,

I see your using the Tahoe/Blazer for a storage shelf. You still driving it? I have to put a rear end in my daughters 92. It will be receiving the one that came out of my 93 Suburban reusing her axles and bearings with some new seals. She blew up the gov-lock and destroyed the cover, carrier, and most of the gears. I am modifying the 93 Suburban 10 bolt to make it an LSD. I remove the flyweight and cam add some spacers and shims to tighten up the LSD and wa la, a reliable rear axle. 3 out of our 4 family vehicles have had 10 bolts with gov-locks explode. The advantage of using a Suburban rear axle is the rear brakes are 11 inches instead of 10. I have to slightly modify the shock mounts to make it fit properly.
It's been MONTHS since I drove the Yukon! It kills me to see it sit in the Garage, but wonderful California says I cant drive it until it doesn't suffocate harmless endangered dinosaurs and hippie joshua tree huggers. My 10 bolt has been holding up great since I did the R&P a few years ago. I used GM GL-5 and Limited slip additive and I have to say, I have no complaints about the operation of the diff! I can tell stories of how amazing that thing has worked keeping up with jeeps off road and on snow and ice! I love that truck! I'll probably work on getting it to pass smog now that it is cooling down.

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 10-31-2013, 03:43 PM   #292
justcuz

My girls do not understand the operation of a Gov-Lock and do not drive accordingly. My wife blew the 2000 Suburban 10 bolt in Monterey when our daughter lived up there going to college. Our daughter lived on a hill and during the rain she pulled away from the curb and it started to spin a tire. She gassed it and bang! Same with the Blazer, our daughter was on Beach Blvd in an early morning rain, she tried to pass a bus at an intersection, hit the gas going across the paint stripe and bang! Our son Joe just flat wore his 10 bolt out in his Tahoe. I suspect it had been used for towing a lot and the housing was slightly bent (oil weeping from the right axle tube at the center section). It finally gave up the ghost at about 270,000 miles!
Old 10-31-2013, 04:27 PM   #293
justcuz

Are you going to reuse the Eaton rear axle? If so are going to convert to rear disc brakes? I hear drums and shoes are hard to find for these. I would love to build a front axle out of one of these (like Napco did) 14 bolt side gears allow you to increase the spline count on the axles. Some 44 or 60 open knuckles welded on the ends of an Eaton would make a cool front axle housing.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #294
Bigdav160

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
Full on respect to you on your endeavor to build an AT transmission like this.

Me... I look at any transmission, manual or AT and just sigh with a glassy eyed stare.
Anyone wishing to rebuild your own automatic, I highly recommend this series of videos. He doesn't spend much time on upgrades but does a nice job of disassembly, inspection, bench testing and reassembly.

They also have transfer case rebuild videos.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #295
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

I won't get rid of my Eaton Rear. That is down a ways on the list of things to do, but I have some 13" drums from a 14 bolt as well as a detroit for it.

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 10-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #296
justcuz

Is the spacing all the same to run 14 bolt brakes on these? It seems the Eaton brakes were narrower. Or does the 14 bolt drum go over the outside of the hub instead of inside like the 14 bolt? The 14 bolt Detroit fits the Eaton carrier? Can you then use 14 bolt axles in the Eaton?
Old 10-31-2013, 07:15 PM   #297
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Here is a link to some tech about all that. I should put this link in my sig

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 10-31-2013, 07:47 PM   #298
justcuz

Ok cool, I read the Pirate thread too (not today). I totally forgot about 63 GMC Kid building his own Eaton front axle. Gonna have to eyeball that.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:54 AM   #299
jbclassix
Junk Yartist

Well, I realized last night that I have made a big step on the burb, and should take a picture!

This was last night at midnight! IT ROLLS!!!!

So not to long ago, I got some side work that paid for a 91 chevy truck that will donate a lot of parts to the Yukon and the Suburban. The first thing that it donated were the tires! Last night I got the truck unloaded and the wheels swapped, and a few more things done to the burb that I needed to get done so that it would roll.

Today I started working on making room for my brothers truck, which means that the suburban had to move for a while, which was kind of disapointing. Getting it to this stage really motivated me again. I wish I had a better budget for it. So, into the trailer it goes...

Problem...

I ended up airing out the rear tires and compressing the suspension 3 inches, and I still had to take the lights off the roof of the trailer!

Last time the burb was in the trailer it was on its frame with casters. I hope this ride goes better.

Once the crew cab is done, it will right back here!

On an interesting side note, since we are using 3 car seats in the Sequoia, we kind of reconfigured the seats to the most convenient arrangement. Interesting enough, we removed one of the middle seats for easier access to the rear seat, and because of this we never really use the left rear door... you know, the one that is a big gaping hole in my burb... Maybe the engineers at GM had some idea of what they were doing only putting in 3 doors.

70 Crew Cab Build Link

95 Yukon Daily Driver

Rebuilding an NP205
Old 12-18-2013, 03:43 PM   #300
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Nice work on getting axles back under it! Yeah, it is kind of weird why they did only the 3 doors but I'm guessing they took their thoughts from the station wagons they built? Maybe they didn't think there was a market for a 4 door truck? I'm looking forward to the progress on the crew cab. But not really, because I know what'll do to my mind.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote