The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2016, 06:58 AM   #1
hogfarm

Flaring stainless tubing

I am trying to flare some stainless tubing for my Brake lines and fuel lines.the brake lines are OK but the bigger 3/8" is to hard to flare,I am using .032 wall.If I cant get this done I may have to use mild steel tube
hogfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:06 AM   #2
1project2many

Re: Flaring stainless tubing

Stainless is tougher to bend and form. Here's a pro level tool that I use...

http://www.mastercool.com/product/71475/

It's probably not worth the cost for a single job but it is a great tool. It also makes bubble flares, GM fuel injection flares, and some quick connect flares! I bought mine maybe 10 years ago and I couldn't tell you how many times I've used it.

I also have some nice bending tools:
https://www.ridgid.com/us/en/600-ser...rument-benders
Again, not cheap.

Last edited by 1project2many; 06-12-2016 at 08:12 AM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:18 AM   #3
Advanced Design

I have the same Mastercool kit and it works really well. While a bit pricey, it sure eliminated the frustration of trying to do the work with poor quality tools. I've also seen an Eastwood flaring tool in some of the posts here and members are stating they have good results.

Some guys have painted their steel fuel / brake lines after they had them formed up and fitting. Depending on the look you are going for, maybe that would be an option for you?
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:10 AM   #4
MARTINSR

A friend loaned me that same Mastercool tool for my son's Falcon brake lines and I can't scream from the roof tops enough how great that tool is!

I had did flare and reverse flare tubing with cheaper (though quality) tools before, I gave up, never to do it again. I would buy pre-made tubing and that was it, if the length wasn't perfect I would make it out of a few, or put a little bend here and there to shorten it, that sort of thing. There was just no way I was going to make them, it was a joke......that was until my friend loaned me that tool!

Heck, the last two lines on the car, I just picked up a 3ft long piece, didn't matter what fittings were on it, wham bam I just made two new ones out of it using the fittings from some other lines, BAM, done.

The very last one I made my son make it. He is 19 and had never touched something like this. He made an absolute perfect line from scratch.

I can not say it enough, this tool makes it so damn easy it's crazy and if there is any chance you will ever make lines again, just buy the tool! It works for fuel lines too, it's a very very valuable tool to have. It makes it so easy to make lines it's just crazy!

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
hogfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
A friend loaned me that same Mastercool tool for my son's Falcon brake lines and I can't scream from the roof tops enough how great that tool is!

I had did flare and reverse flare tubing with cheaper (though quality) tools before, I gave up, never to do it again. I would buy pre-made tubing and that was it, if the length wasn't perfect I would make it out of a few, or put a little bend here and there to shorten it, that sort of thing. There was just no way I was going to make them, it was a joke......that was until my friend loaned me that tool!

Heck, the last two lines on the car, I just picked up a 3ft long piece, didn't matter what fittings were on it, wham bam I just made two new ones out of it using the fittings from some other lines, BAM, done.

The very last one I made my son make it. He is 19 and had never touched something like this. He made an absolute perfect line from scratch.

I can not say it enough, this tool makes it so damn easy it's crazy and if there is any chance you will ever make lines again, just buy the tool! It works for fuel lines too, it's a very very valuable tool to have. It makes it so easy to make lines it's just crazy!

Brian
I put a drop of oil on the 3/8" line. Worked a lot better. But then split the tube.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2016, 02:10 PM   #6
thunderjet

You don't say if you are trying to single flare or double flare. Generally speaking, stainless line should be a single 37 degree flare for use with AN style fittings. Stainless usually splits when you try 45 degree double flares.
thunderjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #7
hogfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderjet View Post
You don't say if you are trying to single flare or double flare. Generally speaking, stainless line should be a single 37 degree flare for use with AN style fittings. Stainless usually splits when you try 45 degree double flares.
I didn't want to use AN and the 37 deg flare. What I wanted to do was a 45 deg double flare. But if it not going to work I can regroup.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2016, 02:33 PM   #8
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfarm View Post
I put a drop of oil on the 3/8" line. Worked a lot better. But then split the tube.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have found that anything above 1/4" you need to anneal the end of stainless tube to get it not to split, double flaring 3/8 is almost impossible
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #9
mr48chev

I have the Eastwood Pro Brake tubing flaring tool and it works great on steel tubing but I haven't had cause to use it on stainless.

This tech tip from Jegs brings up one thing that is a necessity to get good flares every time and that is chamfering the ends of the tube in an out and using a saw or tubing cutter and NOT using a cut off disk. Chop saws or cut off disks heat and harden the metal where you cut it and it is hard to work or machine it afterwards. http://www.jegs.com/tech-articles/flare-tech.html

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:17 PM   #10
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I've not used a mastercool but have the eastwood..a buddy of mine has one and it works great..
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:39 PM   #11
MARTINSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I have the Eastwood Pro Brake tubing flaring tool and it works great on steel tubing but I haven't had cause to use it on stainless.

This tech tip from Jegs brings up one thing that is a necessity to get good flares every time and that is chamfering the ends of the tube in an out and using a saw or tubing cutter and NOT using a cut off disk. Chop saws or cut off disks heat and harden the metal where you cut it and it is hard to work or machine it afterwards. http://www.jegs.com/tech-articles/flare-tech.html
The tubing cutter that came with the Mastercool works awesome. At least I think it came with it, I don't see one in the photo of the tool above.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #12
hogfarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR View Post
The tubing cutter that came with the Mastercool works awesome. At least I think it came with it, I don't see one in the photo of the tool above.

Brian
Took my propane torch and annealed the end of tube,and with a drop of oil no problem doing double flare on 3/8" tube
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2016, 05:49 PM   #13
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Quote:
Took my propane torch and annealed the end of tube,and with a drop of oil no problem doing double flare on 3/8" tube
Posted via Mobile Device
SS always works better hot or annealed, if you do it cold its a PIA
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:03 PM   #14
roger55

Quote:
I didn't want to use AN and the 37 deg flare.
Posted via Mobile Device
I say go with the AN.

I've never had an issue with leaks using AN and 3/8" line fittings. IMO, it's the way to go.
roger55 is offline   Reply With Quote