The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-15-2017, 11:35 AM   #701
NONHOG

Re: HG's thread of miscelaneous stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Great pics as always ,where is the Museum of Flight ,I think I have been there ?
Just South of Seattle.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #702
flashed

Yep ,been there ,drove the Chevelle convertible out there several years back .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:29 PM   #703
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Someone recently said to post more pics of my place in the corn fields. It's been a non-stop project since I bought it but it's coming along. I spent most of the last 2 weekends building a porch onto the house. Long ways to go on that. There are 2 spots in the yard where you can see all of the buildings from. This is the better view. Panoramic of the north side...

Panoramic of the south side. The chicken coop was the original home on the property. Two rooms and a root cellar and an attic. It's the little white building past my car.

Google earth view. The wife hates this because google updated to a later picture last year. One that shows all the junk in the yard from the guy we bought the place from...

The past weekends porch progress. New main entry door and deck boards installed. That's Louise doing her imitation of a hound.

The house was moved onto the property around 1964 from town, about 3/4 miles away. The guy that farms the land around 3 sides of the place grew up here. He's happy to see me fixing up the place. He was getting the fields ready to plant and I finally got a chance to talk to him. I had a question concerning an oddity I noticed when I was working in the 2 car garage...

I said, Leon, why the hell are there beer cans nailed to the garage rafters? He chuckled and said "that's from when the guys were helping my dad build the garage", "somewhere on one of the boards it says 'still no beer' and then after the beer showed up they started nailing their empties up while they were working".

Of course I'm leaving them up there. A couple of them are actually kinda valuable.

Last edited by hgs_notes; 05-15-2017 at 11:39 PM.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:58 AM   #704
flashed

Very nice place you have and I love the Beer cans and the story behind them .
Old 05-16-2017, 07:43 AM   #705
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Nice place you have there. I like the beer cans too.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:02 AM   #706
70STOVEBOLT

Are those Olympia cans?!

Owner installed options:
Front Sway Bar
Power Steering
Power Brakes
Cigar Lighter
Courtesy Lights
Deluxe Side Markers
Wiper Delay
Power windows
Power Locks
Sniper EFI

2015 Silverado 1500 LS 4.3/6L80/3.23 lowered 2" front & rear
70STOVEBOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:30 AM   #707
Deer_hunter_088

I found a 67-72 cst emblem randomly in my yard. my family has owned the prop for like 30 years, and not once has a 67-72 chevy sit in the yard, except mine. mines a cst is the creepy thing. the emblem was back in the yard where a car rarely goes......................

Made in the USA, just like my trucks
Deer_hunter_088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:28 PM   #708
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Very nice spread. LOVE all the shops!!

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:25 PM   #709
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

That is a very nice place you have there. Plenty of buildings, and trees. Are you doing a wrap around type porch?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #710
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashed View Post
Very nice place you have and I love the Beer cans and the story behind them .
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Nice place you have there. I like the beer cans too.
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70STOVEBOLT View Post
Are those Olympia cans?!
Yep! It was fairly popular here in the 70's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_hunter_088 View Post
I found a 67-72 cst emblem randomly in my yard. my family has owned the prop for like 30 years, and not once has a 67-72 chevy sit in the yard, except mine. mines a cst is the creepy thing. the emblem was back in the yard where a car rarely goes......................
Ghost emblem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
Very nice spread. LOVE all the shops!!
Thanks! Me too, except I have my tools spread between all of them and I spend a lot of time walking between shops to find what I need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
That is a very nice place you have there. Plenty of buildings, and trees. Are you doing a wrap around type porch?
Yep, all along the front of the house and around to the main entry door. It's 564 sqft and the biggest home improvement job I've tackled myself.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:38 PM   #711
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgs_notes View Post
Thanks!
Thanks! Me too, except I have my tools spread between all of them and I spend a lot of time walking between shops to find what I need.

I know the feeling and I only have 2 locations!

Bill's Gallery
Old 05-17-2017, 08:59 PM   #712
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Sweet! Ya gonna invite us all up to the porchwarming lol?

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:00 PM   #713
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very nice work on the porch! Ours is settling in on the corners and I really have been considering building one myself too. Post more pics as you go. I'd like to check it out.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #714
Orange67

Wow. Gotta tell you, I just spent the last week reading through your thread. Awesome story man. Love all the pics, and places you've seen. Nice place you've got there too.

'67 C20 CST Custom Camper
'04.5 LLY Duramax CCSB...sold
Orange67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:14 AM   #715
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
I know the feeling and I only have 2 locations!
I do a lot of walking between buildings throughout the day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeZ View Post
Sweet! Ya gonna invite us all up to the porchwarming lol?
If anyone is ever around my area and wants to stop by for a look-see at what I got going on, just PM me and come on over. I actually have enough room out here to host a small event but being 100 miles from any major city keeps things inconvenient for most people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Very nice work on the porch! Ours is settling in on the corners and I really have been considering building one myself too. Post more pics as you go. I'd like to check it out.
You know you're always welcome to stop by. Almost finished the deck boards. Just have the last row to do and trim off the edges. It's about 54' long, 6' short of a bowling lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange67 View Post
Wow. Gotta tell you, I just spent the last week reading through your thread. Awesome story man. Love all the pics, and places you've seen. Nice place you've got there too.
Thanks, glad you enjoyed it.

I'm going to make an attempt to get another post up before the next road trip. First a little background. I'm from MN originally but the navy had me around the country for the 6 years I was in and during that time I got married to someone from elsewhere. After I was discharged I spent some time in Idaho, then came back to MN for a job, hated it, so I kept looking and eventually I became a boiler inspector. That took me to the NW part of the state and I really liked it up there, but the wife didn't. So another change of scenery came but neither of us was really happy there. She said it would be ok to go back to MN and I found an opportunity to be an authorized inspector, which is a 3rd party inspector hired by a fabrication shop that's building ASME stamped boilers or pressure vessels. That's what brought me to the current location back in 2001.

The shop I worked at built air compressors, which is basically line assembly work and as an inspector, it really can't get much more boring. I got laid off when the shop lost one of it's major customers and wanted to change to a half time contract. It sucked at the time to lose my job but it was really a blessing because eventually I found a much better position, got a ton of new experience and really opened a lot of doors for me. It made me a better all around inspector. Then I got laid off again in 2015.

And to bring this little story full circle, I'm working for the same company now that laid me off back in 2003. And since I'm still holding the commission and endorsements to do shop inspections they ask me to fill in once in a while in that same air compressor shop. So today I'm going to show you how that tank was made that's out in your garage.

But first, check out the welders vending machine...

They start with a flat sheet of steel. This is actually a pretty strong grade, rated at a fairly high tensile strength. That way they can use thinner metal and still have a high pressure rating. This is not the cheap stuff. The sheets are delivered cut to the appropriate size and put through a press that punches out the holes for nozzles.

The plate is rolled into a shell.

The shell long seam is welded using a sub-arc welder. This gives full penetration in a single pass and is a very strong weld.

While that's being done the heads are also being prepared. They are delivered preformed with a slip in flange that slides into the shell. That particular weld joint is called a joggle joint, but I'm getting ahead of myself a bit.

There are nozzles in both heads and those holes are also punched out in a small press.

Bottom head with the drain plug nozzle welded in...

Top head with the compressor discharge line connection and a nozzle for a relief valve...

This is what the welder looks like that welds the nozzle bungs in. It's a MIG welder that goes in a circle. Nothing too fancy.

Then the heads are fit into the shell and sent to the circumferential welder.

Both heads are welded in at the same time. It's a machine with 2 MIG welders and it rolls the tank around automatically for a nice even weld. The joggle joint provides backing for the weld to ensure full penetration.

After that, the shell will get it's nozzles welded in using the same type of machine as on the heads.

Then the tank goes to the next station where a welder puts on the feet or supports and the mount for the compressor and motor. He also tacks on the ASME nameplate that shows who built the tank and it's ratings. If you look at yours you will see the minimum thickness of the shell and heads on it to give you an idea of what's containing that pressure. That's done by hand using a MIG welder.

The welding is done at this point and the tank goes to final inspection and gets hydrostatically tested.

If it passes it gets hung on an overhead conveyor where it goes through a powder coating system. When I was the full time shop inspector they were just getting that powder coating system going. They sprayed every tank with paint by hand before that point.

The nice shiny tanks then go to the assembly lines where the pumps, motors and controls and stickers are put on, it gets boxed and sent to the warehouse.

Made in America.

Last week I was back in the shop and they were testing out a new circ seam welder. The first new welder they have installed in many years, like decades. The new welder uses a twin welding process and is about 3 times faster than the current machine. Part of that testing is to qualify the welds it makes, since it is a new welding process. Most of the time a shop will just cut out sections of welds for bend and tension tests, but the shop decided to also do burst testing of the tanks, which I didn't get to witness, but did see the results.

These are the tanks after being pressurized to the point of rupture. They use water, not air to do this, so when the tank let's go the energy is lost very quickly and not as violently as an air pressure test. Even so, when you see these pics you can get an idea of how strong these things are. All of them I saw held up to over 1000 psi.

The normal safety factor back in the early 2000's and before was 4 to 1. Later, the code shifted to a 2.5 to 1 safety factor which is in line with most of the foreign codes. It was also reduced with requiring more testing and better controls. The reason these went to such a high pressure though is partially due to having a minimum thickness that is higher than the calculated requirements. The ASME code has a minimum spec for certain things like boilers and air tanks where they could actually be calculated to hold a higher pressure than their ratings. This is only true for the lower pressure objects. Once you get over a certain pressure (depending on the diameter and grade of steel) that calculated minimum thickness is over the minimum required by rule.

Basically, the tanks have a tiny bit extra thickness. There are other factors used in other pressure vessels such as corrosion allowances, mill tolerances, etc. that make a difference but in this case it simply means the tanks are built a little stronger than they need to be.

Look how they balooned out before letting go...

This one split outside the heat affected zone of the weld, so it's a good weld.

Same here...

And here...

Right near the nozzle weld, which is expected.

Looks like this one tore in the shell which then ripped the circ seam apart.

These next ones surprised me. The cast fitting failed before the tank let go.

This last one failed in the circ seam, which doesn't necessarily mean it failed the test. It depends at what pressure it blew, but they are still dialing in the welding process for this size tank.

There, you learned your something new for the day.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:57 AM   #716
Indian113

WOW! Man I love your Posts. That was interesting and gives us a lesson on Weld Strength. Thanks
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 12:23 PM   #717
flashed

Loved the lesson today ,thanks ,never even thought about how these were made ,very cool stuff .
Old 05-30-2017, 01:23 PM   #718
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
WOW! Man I love your Posts. That was interesting and gives us a lesson on Weld Strength. Thanks

Very interesting posting.

Bill's Gallery
Old 05-30-2017, 02:31 PM   #719
Kim57

That's some great stuff.
Kim
Old 05-31-2017, 09:29 AM   #720
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Thanks for the lesson Mike. I never really thought about how they're made. But it's very interesting too see. Thanks again for an interesting read.

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 06:09 PM   #721
78chevstepside

3 o"clock sub arc machine for for big tanks .
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2017, 08:25 PM   #722
78chevstepside

Over lay sub arc 300 degree preheat .
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2017, 09:56 PM   #723
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78chevstepside View Post
3 o"clock sub arc machine for for big tanks .
I don't think I've ever seen sub arc done in anything except flat position before. Interesting. What shop do you work for out there? I've worked with most of them in the Seattle area back when I lived out there.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:07 PM   #724
78chevstepside

Retired field construction boilermaker local 500 and 502 . I worked for psf industries as a field forman for many years
Old 06-01-2017, 01:45 AM   #725
TennesseeZ
Countdown Survivor

Very informative post there Mike, I already knew some of it because pipe is very simular.
We called our rings a "backing ring", only used on critical lines carrying very high pressure steam and such. Our pipe always had a "J" bevel to carry many weld passes, preheated and brought down slowly sometimes 2 days on the bigger stuff. Our rings had pins that allowed the ring to be pulled up tight and also set the gap, then got broke off on the first pass. Fascinating stuff, never got to work with much track welding, but man it makes a pretty weld when set up right!
Do you know what pressure they failed at?

A MAN OF HONOR DOES NOT LIE, CHEAT, OR STEAL, NOR TOLERATE THOSE WHO DO.

Gettin' old ain't for sissies.
TennesseeZ is offline   Reply With Quote