The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
bnoon

Garage builds

Post some pictures of your garage builds. I just really got a good start on mine this weekend. Few more shelves to build and some more organizing as I bring stuff over from my storage unit, but the main structures are there now. Currently looking for a used 2 post lift. I'm also going to build a detached 2-2.5 car this spring as a wood shop/garden shed, but for now the 3 car attached is getting cozy. Speaking of cozy... I got caught "load testing" one of the shelves. :-)
Attached Images

bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:21 PM   #2
bnoon

Re: Garage builds

Last couple pictures.
Attached Images

Old 01-14-2014, 05:53 AM   #3
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

Heres a link to my build thread over on the garage journal. Its a 100+ year old former cowshed in brick with a slate roof. It needs a lot of work to get it to where I want it. This years plan is to dig up the floor in the end with the man door (currently part engineering brick part crappy concrete) then fill with rubble, sand, membrane, rebar/mesh and finally concrete. The wall needs taking down next to the man door as it's leaning, rebuilding and a proper lintel putting in over the door opening. Then I can make a new doorframe to replace the two old railroad ties currently doing that job and a new door. Blast all the old whitewash off the walls and repaint, wire that end up for power and then I can move both workbenches and all the shelving, toolboxes etc in that end. I also want to replace the purlins in the other end with steel I beams ready to re-roof it all in 2015.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=131797

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
bnoon

I forgot to give you guys the specs on the shelves/bench. The smaller shelves are nothing special, 1 foot by 16 feet long (each are two 8 foot sections) with 7/16 OSB tops. The shelves above the bench are 2 feet by 16 feet, with again OSB... the bench itself is made from 4 by 4 inch skids salvaged from old pallets, 2 by 6's laid across those, also salvaged wood, then 4 feet square half sheets of 3/4 inch plywood tops (salvaged). 4 feet by 12 feet total width/length for the bench to leave room for my table saw and vacuum forming table at the end. Then I have doubled 2 by 4 frame, doubled 2 by 4 legs, and heavily braced. Those bench sections could hold fully dressed big blocks easily. The pallets they were salvaged from were rated at 500 pound point load and I reassembled them in an even tougher configuration, so I know it's higher than that now. I deadlift in the neighborhood of 500 pounds and I could not tip it up to its feet by myself. HEAVY DUTY!!!
Old 01-14-2014, 08:18 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lippyp View Post
Heres a link to my build thread over on the garage journal. Its a 100+ year old former cowshed in brick with a slate roof. It needs a lot of work to get it to where I want it. This years plan is to dig up the floor in the end with the man door (currently part engineering brick part crappy concrete) then fill with rubble, sand, membrane, rebar/mesh and finally concrete. The wall needs taking down next to the man door as it's leaning, rebuilding and a proper lintel putting in over the door opening. Then I can make a new doorframe to replace the two old railroad ties currently doing that job and a new door. Blast all the old whitewash off the walls and repaint, wire that end up for power and then I can move both workbenches and all the shelving, toolboxes etc in that end. I also want to replace the purlins in the other end with steel I beams ready to re-roof it all in 2015.

Hey Phil,

I love those old buildings. Sounds like you are going to make a lot of changes.
Is there anything under the slate roof as far as sheathing? Just wondering.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:13 PM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoon View Post
Post some pictures of your garage builds. I just really got a good start on mine this weekend. Few more shelves to build and some more organizing as I bring stuff over from my storage unit, but the main structures are there now. Currently looking for a used 2 post lift. I'm also going to build a detached 2-2.5 car this spring as a wood shop/garden shed, but for now the 3 car attached is getting cozy. Speaking of cozy... I got caught "load testing" one of the shelves. :-)

That's going to be WAY to organized... I would never get anything done in there.

LockDoc

-
Old 01-14-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
bnoon

Phil, looks like fun!!! I love resurrecting old things no matter what they are. Recycling is the way to go. Old buildings included.

Leon, I'm the type of guy that puts a wrench away directly after using it, or at least has a halfway organized project tray right next to me to put it on. I get pissed when I can't find something right away. A place for everything, and everything in it's place.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:55 AM   #8
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

At the moment the roof is a mess, the front is slate, the rear is mostly old handmade clay tiles which have largely perished, theres a big patch on the bottom at the back which has been badly repaired with slate. There is currently nothing underneath the slates/tiles. Also all of the timber is either rotten or has woodworm. The ends of ther rafters on the rear wall have been eaten away by rats back when it was a cowshed to form a neat round run.

The plan is to take the roof off entirely, replace the purlins in the garage end with steels so I can take out the remains of an internal wall to open it up, repair the top of the rear wall, all new timbers and bigger ones at that as the rafters are currently only 3 x 2" so will be replaced with pressure treated 2 x 4 or 2 x 5's. We are also going to build a small dormer over the garage doors to raise the eaves height as they are only abou 6' at the monet and too low to get my truck in as the floor ramps up inside too. The roof will then be reslated the back done to match with new slate after felt (tar paper) first plus the addition of a couple of skylights to let some natural light in/ventilation. Eventually the floor will get dug out and replaced at that end too but it's all money. Materials alone for the roof are coming out at about £4K and as we apparently need £14K's worth of new windows in the house that ain't going to happen this year. This year I shall be picking up materials if I find them cheap and doing as much prep as I can. I have a gandg of friends/family rounded up to help when the time comes although it might cost me another £4K in beer and bacon.

I'd love to keep the brick floor but it's uneven and very damp so new concrete is the way it's going to have to go sadly.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:49 PM   #9
brad_man_72
the boat guy

The corner of my new construction 5 car basement. Barn wood walls, rusty tin ceiling, old car parts hanging on the walls.
Sideways, most recent. A trophy (weldon) giving me a hand with the rusty tin.
Harvesting tin.
Bringing home barnwood.
Better pic of my wall art.
Board meet bbq truck show last spring showing all of the horrible newness of the rest of the basement.
Attached Images

66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 11:23 PM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Sorry Brad, I couldn't handle the sideways picture. If you need a place to store the Roadster Pickup, I would have time to run down and get it and a spot in the big metal building to put it... Temporarily of course..

Oh, the basement is looking good too.

LockDoc
Attached Images

-
Old 01-30-2014, 02:48 PM   #11
brad_man_72
the boat guy

Thanks, I don't know how the pic turned?
Id like to get rid of the RPU but I have too much money in it. Maybe ill get some motivation to finish it someday.
Thanks, its coming along slowly with all of the other projects.
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #12
KShortell

I BUILT a new two and a half car garage a couple of years ago. It took a few months for the structure, then I fleshed things out over the next year- driveway extension, decor, cabinets, etc.

I did 85% of the work alone, all by myself. I even engineered and designed it, one of the perks of being a licensed Professional Engineer. It sure saved a great deal of money doing it myself. Most of all, it is something I can take pride in!

I've got a whole Facebook album up showing things from start to finish, even the new deck on the back of the house. https://www.facebook.com/KevinShorte...4002807&type=3

Old 02-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #13
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KShortell View Post
I BUILT a new two and a half car garage a couple of years ago. It took a few months for the structure, then I fleshed things out over the next year- driveway extension, decor, cabinets, etc.

I did 85% of the work alone, all by myself. I even engineered and designed it, one of the perks of being a licensed Professional Engineer. It sure saved a great deal of money doing it myself. Most of all, it is something I can take pride in!

I've got a whole Facebook album up showing things from start to finish, even the new deck on the back of the house.

Looks good! I need another garage...

LockDoc

-
Old 02-08-2014, 12:18 AM   #14
UPNADM

I thought I would add my garage update....

This is one of the coldest/snow accumulation winters we have had in this area in some time... I like to spend time in my garage during these months. My tow car is under the snow by the boat. Ha.

I had a mezzanine room for about 8 years, and it served no purpose but keep junk. A couple of months I decided to change that and make it into a "ME" room... Here are a couple of pics of my garage and my finished "Office".

Thought I would share.
Attached Images

UPNADM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:21 AM   #15
UPNADM

Here is my room...

Television with cable/dvd.
Internet.
4 channel surveillance (my wife cannot sneak in now, ha).
Attached Images

UPNADM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 06:52 AM   #16
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

We have been building this one for 10 years.
Attached Images

1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote