The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #1
67 cst swb

What are the Airbags and Frame Mods doing to the future of these trucks?

First - Don't get me wrong here. I like the looks of a slammed truck and a 4-link rear suspension.
But, with the latest craze of modifying the frame for Air Bags. Then swapping in an LS motor (again, I like this idea).
Then bolting on huge wheels (Ok, I have opinion on anything over 20" wheels on these trucks, but that I may save for a later thread). Luckily they are easy to replace.
What is that doing to the availability of original or unmodified trucks and the value?
I understand that trucks were produced in large quantity compared to Chevelle's, Camaro's, Nova's, etc... but... for comparison, good luck finding a decent original one of those to build.
I guess I am kind of looking at this like... Look what pro-streeting a first-Gen Camaro did to the depletion of available good body cars in the 90's or what chop tops did in the 80's.
Is this latest craze of Big Wheels with Air Bags and a modified bed floor doing the same thing to these 67-72 trucks?
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB originally a 327 TH400 3.73 Posi AC PS PB, had Buddy Buckets, Small Window - parts truck
1967 Chevrolet CST LWB, 283 MT 3.73 had Buddy Buckets, Panoramic Window - parts truck
2001 Chevrolet 3500 2WD Crew Cab Dually 8.1L Allison White
2002 Chevrolet 1500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.0L 4L80E Red

Last edited by 67 cst swb; 03-27-2015 at 03:03 PM.
67 cst swb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:53 PM   #2
kamikazekyle05

Re: What are the Airbags and Frame Mods doing to the future of these trucks?

Value is all in the eye of the beholder. I wouldn't buy a restored first gen camaro just to turn around and make it prostreet, i would find a partial car or something in rough shape. Most of the guys on here are doing the same to their trucks. They're buying a truck they found in a field or one that's been sitting in someones backyard or grampa's old farm truck. Let's be honest, unless you have a fully restored 100% original w/ every option, you're looking at what maybe 5-20K tops for a truck. All the mods you talked about are pretty much bolt on minus the raised bed floor, and thats a little body work compared to what most of us started out with are trucks ie: rockers, cab floors etc
kamikazekyle05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:43 PM   #3
special-K
Special Order

^^^ Well, guys are buying pristine C/10s and doing it. It bothers me that so many feel this is the only way to go. It would seem it will be hard to find an unmolested truck in the future. It's like they just see the bags and hoopdee rims and chose classic bodies to wrap around them. The same people curse those who cut dashes for stereos, doors for speakers, and tops for sunroofs. How ironic? Guys want their truck preserved so they can shave firewalls and drip rails and cut the frames all up

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:53 PM   #4
leddzepp

I don't really care what someone does to their truck, it's their business. Bagging trucks isnt a "new" fad, people have been doing for years. As far as value goes, just like always, it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. And there are a lot of people willing to pay big bucks for bagged trucks.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 10:12 PM   #5
bbcmudtruck

It definitely makes sense! However I'll offer this idea. Most of the guys building these trucks that are putting air bag systems and such are using top dollar parts. I would imagine that the work they put into their truck was good quality work for the most part. With that said, if a guy wanted to buy a truck and make it all original again, he would at least have a good frame to start with! Alot of the builds are being sand blasted and painted. I see it as saving them for future generations. I know I had to replace a ton of metal on my frame. If it sat neglected for another 10 or 20 years, it may have been too far gone to save at all.
bbcmudtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:21 PM   #6
CastIron

Personally, I'd rather see a clean, near stock truck that has been taken care of. It's like a piece of history. But I have no problem with upgrades, especially if it improves the reliability, function, or safety of the truck.
I have actually never seen one in my area that's really low with big tires. Most of the ones I see are stock height or slightly lowered. But looking at this website makes it seem like everybody's bagging or doing huge custom projects. I think there will be plenty of stock or near stock trucks for a long time.
For the record, my 69 C1500 has a 307, 3 speed on the column, and is almost completely stock except I added power steering, an 10SI alternator, and put some 15" aluminum wheels on it. My future plans include adding some front disc brakes, probably some sort of crate motor, and possibly putting in a 5 speed manual transmission. But I plan on keeping all the parts I take off, so if I ever decide to restore it or sell it (not at all likely) everything will be right there.
CastIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:54 PM   #7
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I'm glad there are cats that wanna restore trucks to stock and preserve them... so I don't hafta.

I don't like big wheels, air bags and laying frame...

But... it's cool to see the craftsmanship and work that goes into them.

You won't see me building a rig with all that malarkey...

Pro-street for me...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:01 AM   #8
redbaron

The same thing could have been said about the 32-34 Fords years ago. They have evolved and just keep getting better. When was the last time you seen a bone stock one? For me it was just yesterday, I ran into a stock 4 door 34 that came to the airport. But prior to it, I can't remember another one for quite sometime. I appreciate the originals, but prefer the modern interpretation of them.

As far as our trucks go we have built them both ways. It just depends on what you started with. If it's a rare high option original truck you probably want to keep it fairly close to original. On the other hand if it a regular standard rig in whatever condition, then I say the sky is the limit. I love them all and it really comes down to personal preference. And like the 32 Fords reproduction parts are available to almost build a whole truck.
1969 Camaro Protouring LS7 T-56 Project
redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:11 AM   #9
leftybass209

It doesn't bother me in the least. I always look to older vehicles when these things happen. What happened to the Boyd billet craze in the 80's and 90's? It didn't consume every hot rod and there's still plenty that are bone stock. Adapt and overcome, it's been happening for years. There's brand new tri-fives, camaros, 49-54 chevy cabs and other stuff being reproduced. It's only a matter of time before these c10's get reproduced and life will go on.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:11 AM   #10
68shortwide

Very rarely do I see a pristine truck get customized. Whether it be in the shop or around town. I know for a fact that mines not original. My trucks a cab on a frame with a semi complete 70 stepper parts truck with an extra cab, fleetside bed, and small pile of fenders and doors lol I'm building it the way it suits me as a daily driver. Ls powered, 5/7 drop, body mods, posi, and a custom interior. Would I cut up a completely original matching numbers everyhing been in a garage since 1968 gem of a truck? Hell no. But I don't find those, and it wouldn't suit my use of it. So I take my pieces and make what i want from them, and I'm sure others do the same exact thing. Make the truck to their tastes from trucks they saved from the Crushers or from rotting in a field. At least it lets kids my age and younger see the style and attitude that these trucks can have, the style and attitude that most cars and trucks lack today.
1968 ShortWide
1969 ShortStep
68shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:56 AM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: What are the Airbags and Frame Mods doing to the future of these trucks?

I built mine for me only. I drive mine everyday just about and take it on long trips. No I haven't put a full air on it yet but would love to have it someday.

I have it lowered with helper bags all around it and it drives great.

I don't want a stock truck to look at in the garage all winter scared to death it's going to get road salt on it, and drive it 10 miles to a show once a month in the summer just to say I drive it are to work every now and then. I drive mine 15,000 to 20,000 miles a year. Yes you read it right. I built it to drive it and I do. That my friends is why Chevy built them as tough as they did to drive'm!

What is it doing for prices to these truck, making them more valuable if you ask me. Just look at the prices of them compared to 10 years ago. I rather see a old Chevy on the road dragging it's fenders than seeing one more go to a crusher!!! Prices very on anything it's what the person see's and wants that very. Just like the Barrett Jackson stuff. Now everybody thinks there vehicle is worth $50,000.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:52 AM   #12
simplepeddler

.........What I have seen on this board in my short time is that nothing done cannot be undone........there are folks with MAD skills out there.

While the value of the end product is going to go up or down relative to trends in areas of the country.......folks with MAD skills will see thier value consistently go up regardless of what the public wants them to produce.

there are guys here that do this "part time" in their shop at home, that could now or soon would make a damn fine living creating and recreating
simplepeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:44 AM   #13
shawno72
C/10 junkie

Great topic

70 LWB C10 current driver/project
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=663051
68 SWB C10 Work in progress.....SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559520
72 LWB C10 Sold
71 LWB C10 Sold
68 LWB C10 CST Sold

http://youtu.be/kbB0QrBIs9k

My mom always had the best advice. It was just a tad late. After a fall that involved blood, she'd say....."Careful!"
shawno72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #14
Coley

Smile Re: What are the Airbags and Frame Mods doing to the future of these trucks?

Great topic...fully agree with most comments and live and let live on this one in my opinion.
Personally I'm not into the fully slammed look but like Gasoline71 says....I really appreciate the craftsmanship.
As well, the slammed modified look is what helped bring these trucks back into the cool...so to speak. This in itself has helped the value of all of our trucks, stock or not so we are all riding that wave right now and thats nothing to complain about.
Great points about the old 30's Fords too....the originals seem to 'peak' out in value but those that have been modified to be more driveable have continued to sustain very good value.
As for value vs. passage of time...who knows but I think there is probably value merit in not modifying the frame and going with a drop that works with the original frame. Oh....and limit sunroofs, door speakers and giant dash holes...lol
On a personal note, I like anything that is a little different and particularly if someone has put innovation and thinking into something so I guess I get a lot of my appreciation there.
Here is a question: what do you y'all think about chopping the roof? value adder or not so much?.....seems to me that is often a deal killer on re-sale but????
All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:29 PM   #15
BigMike

When working on my truck I invited a buddy to help, in return I would teach him about body work. He was the kind of guy that didn't take any chances and brought all of his stuff to the shop to get work/mods done. I taught him that it's ONLY metal, don't be afraid of it. If it gets a dent, it can be fixed. If someone used a jack hammer to open the dash for a bigger stereo (as it looks like in my case), it can be fixed.

I agree to live and let live like Coley and most others on here. Just because it's a mod I don't like, I can appreciate the time and work that went into it. I also agree it was the air bag scene and lowered stances that made these trucks as popular as they are now, combined with the fact that nearly every part is available in the aftermarket world. I think people like Nate (Porterbuilt) and his incredible engineering have taken our trucks to a whole different level. Not only can you put your truck back to stock if you like, but you can lift it to the skies or make ants run for their lives. The only limit we have with our trucks is our imagination (and wallets).

Although I can appreciate the work that goes into chopping our trucks, I just think our trucks chopped looks funny...and that is a littler harder to "fix" if you want to go back to stock aside from swapping out the cab. Certain vehicles just don't look right chopped and 60 & up Chevy/GM fall into that category for me. Although I really dig ckcp's "Full Custom 70 GMC" that he did, that thing is sweet!

Just my $.02 for what it's worth
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:21 PM   #16
Fitz
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 cst swb View Post
First - Don't get me wrong here. I like the looks of a slammed truck and a 4-link rear suspension.
But, with the latest craze of modifying the frame for Air Bags. Then swapping in an LS motor (again, I like this idea).
Then bolting on huge wheels (Ok, I have opinion on anything over 20" wheels on these trucks, but that I may save for a later thread). Luckily they are easy to replace.
What is that doing to the availability of original or unmodified trucks and the value?
I understand that trucks were produced in large quantity compared to Chevelle's, Camaro's, Nova's, etc... but... for comparison, good luck finding a decent original one of those to build.
I guess I am kind of looking at this like... Look what pro-streeting a first-Gen Camaro did to the depletion of available good body cars in the 90's or what chop tops did in the 80's.
Is this latest craze of Big Wheels with Air Bags and a modified bed floor doing the same thing to these 67-72 trucks?
Bags and notches can't change the future any more than Gassers did in the 60's or fuzzy thinking. As for the 'depletion of good body cars' you need spend less time at your computer and get out more. According to GM they sold a total of 268,922 first gen Camaros. There are so many here in Tucson you can't throw a rock without hitting one. Average price for a driver is 10K. Hardly the 'depleted' rare bird you are talking about.
Fitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 06:13 PM   #17
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I could care less what the "next guy" does with my truck...

The positive effect it will have is drive the prices up on clean original trucks.

Funny story... I thought this fad was dead... but I saw an 88-98 silverado yesterday with the 14" go cart wheels that stick out like 8 inches past the body... I hope he didn't see me laughing... my windows have a decent tint
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:00 PM   #18
leftybass209

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
Funny story... I thought this fad was dead... but I saw an 88-98 silverado yesterday with the 14" go cart wheels that stick out like 8 inches past the body... I hope he didn't see me laughing... my windows have a decent tint
Still alive and well in northern California! Not as prominent as 10-15 years ago.
leftybass209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:15 PM   #19
NC_John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz View Post
According to GM they sold a total of 268,922 first gen Camaros. There are so many here in Tucson you can't throw a rock without hitting one. Average price for a driver is 10K. Hardly the 'depleted' rare bird you are talking about.
Trucks or camaros?

Instagram (current build pictures) 70_nc_c10
NC_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:19 PM   #20
flashed

I love them all even though mine are all stock height but I can learn a lot from watching all the builds here .I think there are plenty for us all.
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:52 PM   #21
jtp67-72

From someone who has a P.B. chassis.....this truck finished will be 30-40% higher resale if i choose to sell when done...than with a conventional drop.....but with most body lines of truck being original....easy to return to a stock chassis....99% of time truck will ride 5-6" off ground.....not slammed at every street corner!.....Take the 57 widow clone in background.....it will bring 30% more with its mods than stock car.....but it looks stock at 30 ft.....I guess it's all in what u want.....and i'm keepin both.......good thread...And i like the stock stuff too....before Special-K starts in on me!...Lol........jim
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2015, 01:26 AM   #22
'68 Newtricks

Good thread
Just a couple of points that popped into my head while reading. They mostly echo a couple things already said.

1) If these trucks didn't look good slammed or even lifted, they wouldn't be as popular. If they are less popular...then they don't sell on CList and end up at the crusher. So it's a double edge sword, I guess. Either have fewer of them, or more custom ones.

2) If a truck or car looks clean, like the '57 above, great. What I like, is the appearance of a stockish vehicle, but with today's conveniences. I do get depressed seeing a numbers matching, really clean bodied vehicle get cut up for either racing or whatever. I don't want to see a '66 Nova SS tubbed, gutted, and caged. If it's a true 118 car (or 117?) I wish the man hours had been put into making a nice driver. Find a regular Nova that's trashed.

3) I don't mind the slammed trucks. To each their own. But I don't like welded tailgates and raised floors, especially if they were in good shape originals. LMC has metal you can cut up

straight tailgates are hard to find
Old 03-29-2015, 01:45 AM   #23
GoaterAz

The power/reliability of an LS motor, sitting inside a 67-72 pickup truck is the best of both worlds in my opinion.

In terms of value, who knows, I am 29 years old and literally everybody I know modifies their car/truck. I'd bet in the next 20-30 years, the numbers matching/factory correct vehicles (will be exponentially more rare) won't be worth much more (if at all) than an updated drivetrain in a vehicle that shows well.

Which is why you have to build the vehicle for yourself, worrying about anything else is out of your control. Why spend hard earned money on anything in life that you cannot enjoy?

Me neither.
GoaterAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:00 AM   #24
Possmguts

Like some of yens, I also can appreciate any old vehicle in its original stock configuration... But I have seen some absolutely beautiful resto-mod builds that bring more money than any original ever will. I'm all for resto-modding something to make it better than the original engineers could have ever dreamed of.

Now with that said... I also see some builds that I would like to smack the builder for doing... but to each their own and there is always going to be a buyer for every style and build. The diversity of the classic car and truck world is so wide and unique to each builder and owner it cant be calculated.

The whole "patina" thing and the "rat rod" thing is something I cant get my head around though.... I mean why would you sink 10s of thousands of dollars into something and still want it to look like something you just drug home from the scrap yard??... If it don't shine it ain't mine...

67 Short Bed under major construction
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=651356&page=8

Last edited by Possmguts; 03-29-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Possmguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:12 AM   #25
flashed

My truck is not lowered but is not stock either ,sort of a RestoMod I guess .From a distance it looks stock ,right height ,color ,bumpers ,etc. Then you get close and the cowl hood shows up ,the hidden antenna behind the in bed spare ,the BuddyBuckets ,hidden radio and on .Some may not like it but I do and I like everyone elses .
flashed is offline   Reply With Quote