The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-25-2013, 10:38 PM   #526
rosenberry

Re: 2 for 1, My son's first Square Build

Really, Really nice build stick with it you will get it worked out.
rosenberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #527
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moregrip View Post
That truck is bad ass! Any teenager would be proud to drive that beast in Cali!
Korbin is real proud of the truck and all the work that has gone into it. He gets a ton of compliments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86swb View Post
I do not think he really knows what he has. Man, if I was his age and had something like that I would be smiling all day long or even at my old age and not let little problem here and there bother me. That to me is part of the fun. Tinkering till I get everthing right and you guys will.
I think you took my comments wrong. He knows what he has, but this truck was to be ready by his 16th birthday which I did not get it done by, I let him down on that deadline. We got it to the show unfinished which was also a deadline I missed to get it complete by, and then the trans problem happened and he could not take it for the first day of school. HE is very proud of the truck and enjoys having it very much. It was just a huge set back when the trans went out so soon after getting it together. He has put a bunch time into it and loves driving it.

We got the trans replaced and put in a lower stall speed convertor and fixed a steering issue over the weekend. I got the gauges installed and he was able to take it to school today. We need to calibrate the speedo and then finish his stereo before putting in the carpet.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #528
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Korbin is real proud of the truck and all the work that has gone into it. He gets a ton of compliments...

I think you took my comments wrong. He knows what he has, but this truck was to be ready by his 16th birthday which I did not get it done by, I let him down on that deadline. We got it to the show unfinished which was also a deadline I missed to get it complete by, and then the trans problem happened and he could not take it for the first day of school. HE is very proud of the truck and enjoys having it very much. It was just a huge set back when the trans went out so soon after getting it together. He has put a bunch time into it and loves driving it.

We got the trans replaced and put in a lower stall speed convertor and fixed a steering issue over the weekend. I got the gauges installed and he was able to take it to school today. We need to calibrate the speedo and then finish his stereo before putting in the carpet.
Making the show unfinished (but making it) isn't bad.
Missing the 'start of school' goal by one week isn't bad.
Don't beat yourself up
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:32 PM   #529
king-918

Great job how/where did you get the steering rack
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh yeah I'm really a Toyota guy, but had some stuff sitting around.

Oklahoma
king-918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #530
aggie91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Making the show unfinished (but making it) isn't bad.
Missing the 'start of school' goal by one week isn't bad.
Don't beat yourself up
Thanks for your support Scoti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by king-918 View Post
Great job how/where did you get the steering rack
Posted via Mobile Device
The rack is the No Limit C10 Conversion Rack & Pinion. Rob has been great to work with on this aspect of the truck.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)

The LST Challenge:

Old 09-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #531
king-918

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie91 View Post
Thanks for your support Scoti.

The rack is the No Limit C10 Conversion Rack & Pinion. Rob has been great to work with on this aspect of the truck.
Also I'm with scoti, hell I'm going on a year of missed deadlines
Posted via Mobile Device

Oklahoma
Old 09-12-2013, 03:35 PM   #532
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Karl, do you notice a benefit to flipping the rear hanger over? I am getting ready to swap out my hangers, and thought about trying that if there was any benefit to it.
Old 10-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #533
Can't kech me

it's not so much that it's missed deadlines, it's getting to the point where all the truck wants to do is break and cause trouble and there's been nothing but that since it ever ran. It's about to be on its 3rd transmission, and i doubt the truck has 40 miles on it since its been running. it's getting VERY expensive, time consuming, and it seems like we take 1 step forward and 2 steps back everytime we feel like we've gotten something accomplished. Drove the truck around with the first tranny and it was great aside from no interior or AC but i was so happy to finally be driving my truck it didn't matter. Then it started slipping on my way up a hill coming home, so i kept driving a little bit and sho nuff, it got to the point it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. Took it to the shop that installed the shift kit and they determined the 3-4 clutches were burnt up, at this point i thought no biggie, i had known that it was coming, we (my dad), decided that one small cooler would be sufficient with the stall converter we were running. It wasn't. we found a nother guy to do a bench build for us and put together another 4l60e with some upgraded parts and a lot tighter stall, truck ran fine for a while, and we (my dad) tried to reuse a bad AN fitting instead if buying a new one and it blew apart and puked all the fluid up and ate up 1st gear. since then i have not touched the truck and it has sat in the drive way. School has started, and i'm working at sears, and doing a little fab job on the side, barely making enough to pay the insurance and gas for what i'm driving as of now. My dad is coaching owens football, so we don't have anytime between either of us to get anything done on it. I will never sell this truck. I have way too much in it other than money, I will put it back together and finish the interior, maybe even put AC in it, and drive it everyday. Sorry for the long winded post but i had to get it out there. A lot of you maybe thought i "didn't know what i had" but i'm pretty sure id do, i have a red, loud, low, badass moneypit that i'm pretty sure i love more than anything in the world. I've put more into this than anything else, ever.

Can't kech me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #534
SCOTI

It will get done @ your pace....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #535
king-918

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't kech me View Post
it's not so much that it's missed deadlines, it's getting to the point where all the truck wants to do is break and cause trouble and there's been nothing but that since it ever ran. It's about to be on its 3rd transmission, and i doubt the truck has 40 miles on it since its been running. it's getting VERY expensive, time consuming, and it seems like we take 1 step forward and 2 steps back everytime we feel like we've gotten something accomplished. Drove the truck around with the first tranny and it was great aside from no interior or AC but i was so happy to finally be driving my truck it didn't matter. Then it started slipping on my way up a hill coming home, so i kept driving a little bit and sho nuff, it got to the point it wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. Took it to the shop that installed the shift kit and they determined the 3-4 clutches were burnt up, at this point i thought no biggie, i had known that it was coming, we (my dad), decided that one small cooler would be sufficient with the stall converter we were running. It wasn't. we found a nother guy to do a bench build for us and put together another 4l60e with some upgraded parts and a lot tighter stall, truck ran fine for a while, and we (my dad) tried to reuse a bad AN fitting instead if buying a new one and it blew apart and puked all the fluid up and ate up 1st gear. since then i have not touched the truck and it has sat in the drive way. School has started, and i'm working at sears, and doing a little fab job on the side, barely making enough to pay the insurance and gas for what i'm driving as of now. My dad is coaching owens football, so we don't have anytime between either of us to get anything done on it. I will never sell this truck. I have way too much in it other than money, I will put it back together and finish the interior, maybe even put AC in it, and drive it everyday. Sorry for the long winded post but i had to get it out there. A lot of you maybe thought i "didn't know what i had" but i'm pretty sure id do, i have a red, loud, low, badass moneypit that i'm pretty sure i love more than anything in the world. I've put more into this than anything else, ever.
It sounds like normal growing pains and learning, good luck with it!

Oklahoma
Old 10-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #536
Blackpony

If you need someone to build the trans for you that knows what he is doing, let me know. I have a trans guy that is really good and very affordable.
Blackpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #537
aggie91

Well, we spent some time checking out the codes on the PCM, only code is the MIL is not hooked up correctly. Seams eveything else is working as it should be for now. Spoke with the guy that built this trans, and we decided to pull the pan in my shop and see what was in there. Turns out there is a black metalic mushy stuff in the pan. He says that is the convertor clutch material. Not good...The convertor is shot and that stuff is all inside the valvebody and shift solenoids. It got to come out for a rebuild, good thing its under warranty for the convertor and the trans. We so we started this past weekend taking it apart. We are going to fix a few small issues while its apart too.

The LST Challenge:

Old 11-05-2013, 12:11 PM   #538
crashz

Set backs happen on old truck builds. My 87 went in the garage for a small fuel leak four years ago and I have since fixed the frame, rebuilt the frontend, charging system, cooling system, glow plug system, lights, body work, and the list continues. I'm happy that its sitting on its own tires at least!

I like these lines: "i have a red, loud, low, badass moneypit that i'm pretty sure I love more than anything in the world. I've put more into this than anything else, ever."

Keep up the good work. Don't worry about deadlines. Enjoy the father-son time and have fun. You'll soon learn that the driving part is not really the fun part.
crashz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:56 PM   #539
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: 2 for 1, My son's first Square Build

Just found this thread. What a great thread and story of a dad and his son doing what they love doing! Don't worry about the missed dates. Look at them as more time to spend with your son. Make sure it's safe first the rest will work themselves out.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:47 PM   #540
StarDust

love the build! really wish my build could be as good as this one lol and about the part about of friends "razing" him i'm guessing that's picking on him? at my school i get a TON of attention for driving a old truck period lol and peers wanting to race me. I would be proud of having a truck like this one ready or not which i'm positive your son is also proud of! keep up the good work!
StarDust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 12:53 PM   #541
aggie91

Thanks for the support guys!

Korbin is very thankful and excited to have the truck. We just both put a ton of effort into it and the trans issues kind of put a bummer on it. The trans is at the guy that built the last one going thru it now. It appears to him the convetor was main issue that caused this one to quit working. He hopes to have it ready by this weekend. If so, we can get it back and installed during our Thanksgiving break....

The LST Challenge:

Old 11-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #542
Can't kech me

got the trans back from the builder tonight. hopefully before the end of the week we can have it running again. i work in retail (unfortunately) and work this week, (including black friday). so hopefully that's possible.

Have you guys used any of the stuff from caswell plating? looking to get my polished wheels to shine like a freakin mirror. i can't afford clear powder coating for the wheels, but adams polish makes a spray clear wax stuff, hard to explain, but it's really durable. you'd have to read it to understand. http://www.adamspolishes.com/p-701-a...k-sealant.aspx i'll use that on the wheels once theyre perfect. a guy that i've been talking to that's in the cen cal truck scene, and they call him the polish king, uses a spiral sewn and caswell plating's compounds. have yall used any of caswell's stuff?

have you guys seen any alternatives to chrome that really look like chrome? i want to do a chrome diff cover, trans pan, and u bolts and nuts, and if i ever do a 4 link i'd like to do chrome, but doesn't chrome have a tendency to weaken steel? that's what the old man says and he's pretty smart (sometimes). do you guys think that would look good under the truck?

we bought a an OER brand dash pad, but had trouble getting it in, so we said screw it for the time being, so we'll probably trying again, have yall had trouble with oer dash pads?

wanting to do a/c really bad before the next summer rolls around, what brand have you guys recomend for a balance in price and quality? not wanting to do an underdash unit, but an in dash unit.

my buddy can do window tint, and he just orders it pre cut off ebay. i've seen a few of the cars he did and he did a good job, but he's never done an older pickup like mine, anything we should do differently on my truck? my side windows have pretty deep scratches in em where a rock or pebbles were stuck in the sill and the window rolled up and down. will tint hide em? or should i try some sort of window buffing compound from eastwood or another company? i know that a lot of you guys prolly don't like the idea of dark tint, but i don't like the idea of parking at places like a highschool, mall, movie theaters, etc with crystal clear windows where anyone can see in. i was thinking 15% on the sides, 5% on the back, and a 5% brow across the windshield. what yall think?

the road noise in the cab is pretty damn loud as is, and it's just raptor liner on the bottom of the cab, raptor liner on the backwall/firewall of the inside of the cab, and peal n seal covering the floor of the cab. nothing else at this point, and i'm not satisfied with it, what should i do next? i've read quite a bit and what i need to do is put some of the peal and seal on the firewall, dash, and doors, and then get some MLV (mass loaded vinyl) and do the floor, dash, and doors, and then carpet, and it ought to be like a bentley. any other or better options?

sorry for the long winder post, but thats whats been on my mind haha.

Can't kech me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #543
77ChevySharkBite

This is only my opinion of course you can take it just at my .02 I would probably do my trans pan chrome, and maybe the rear diff cover other than that I wouldn't have anything else chromed again just my .02

As far as A/C goes there's probably got to be a vendor like LMC, Brother's, Classic Industries, or Classic Parts I think there called that would have an in dash unit available or be able to part it together.

Are the scratches on the inside of the window or the outside. I would think regardless the tint would hide it, it would probably just be visible if you were inside the truck. Here's an example for you in my old car I had mine double tinted and went to help a friend well part of the jack scratched the tint off and you can only see where it cut it if your looking for it. I think that tint would look good personally but again I like darker tints myself.

I've heard great reviews about the dynomat but I think I've also heard people say its a little on the pricey side, if I'm not mistaken I can't recall his username but there's a gentlemen on here that actually sells something like dynomat with supposedly good results.

I hope you find my long winded post some what helpful and answer to your question if not it's okay I understand

77 C10 Silverado Sharkbite LWB Build
67 Chevy C10 Frame Off
06 Dodge Magnum 2.7v6 aka swag wag!
2010 Honda Accord 2.4I4 DD aka Liquid Metal
77ChevySharkBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 12:19 PM   #544
Bill Bloggins

Reading this thread makes me want to build my own stepper so bad! Seeing what you guys did is inspirational- when I saw the 1st picture of the truck put together in that kicking red color my yapper fell open and I thought 'Those guys just built my dream truck'. Thanks so much for documenting your build, it gives a lot of us great input on what we need to do. Nice!
Bill Bloggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:20 AM   #545
Blackpony

I had good luck with just dynamat and a new carpet kit in my truck to keep it nice and quite. My biggest source of road noise is the worn weather stripping causing wind noise. I would look into vintage air for the ac kit. I have dealt with them multiple times on customer cars and their customer service is great!!
Blackpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 02:18 AM   #546
Big Rat

Nice job! Now make sure to learn the art of parking far away so that none of the goons out there mess up all your hard work!

'69 C20 - Grandpa's 'ol truck
'70 Nova - Birthday present from the wife. She's a KEEPER!
'79 C10 - High school hot rod, BUILD THREAD
Big Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #547
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

Whenever you decide to do a/c give me pm and ill give you a killer deal on vintage air.. Great build!

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #548
aggie91

We got the rebuilt trans installed on took it for a spin around the block. Seems to work fine at this time. We are going to put some miles on it before getting on it hard. I still have to run the power wire to the Headlights and get the hood and bumper back on. We will install the Porterbuilt Addco sway bar from Pro Performance to help with the body roll in the front. Korbin is excited again to get to drive it.

The LST Challenge:

Old 12-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #549
aggie91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bloggins View Post
Reading this thread makes me want to build my own stepper so bad! Seeing what you guys did is inspirational- when I saw the 1st picture of the truck put together in that kicking red color my yapper fell open and I thought 'Those guys just built my dream truck'. Thanks so much for documenting your build, it gives a lot of us great input on what we need to do. Nice!
Bill, Welcome to the forum! We feel honored that you made your first post in our thread. Glad to here we built your dream truck too! Hope this pumps you up to get to work on yours, start up a build thread to show us all what you are working on!

The LST Challenge:

Old 12-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #550
C15_Sierra

Wow! I'm back on the boards after a long hiatus from my own build and just caught up. This thread was in its infancy when I started my '80 (back in March 2011) and its been such a cool read to see the turns that this build has taken to get where it is now. It's given me a boost to get back on the horse to finish the '80, albeit less cool and custom as Korbin's new ride. Best of luck on finishing the final touches (or are any builds really EVER complete? haha)

1980 GMC C15 Sierra LWB
Dark Carmine Red/Carmine Int
Was: 250/3spd (1980-88), then a 305/TH350 (1988-2011)
Now: 5.3/4L60E, 2.73 12-bolt open rear
C15_Sierra is offline   Reply With Quote