The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-18-2014, 04:26 PM   #1
Stevie G

mcgaughy's spindles and steering bind

Hey there gang,
I just spent a couple hours sifting through threads on suspension drops, steering, and Mcgaughy's, but can't find anyone with the same issue. I purchased a set of Mcgaughy's drop spindles and six lug discs for my 69 C10.
Everything seemed to be going fine until I went to put the tie rods and center-link together. For some reason they decided to maintain the outer tie rod position relative to the stub axle instead of the lower ball joint. This totally screws up the steering geometry. major bump steer issues, and the inner tie rods now hit the idler arm and pitman arm whenever I try to turn. Has anyone else run into this?
Stevie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #2
midniteblues

Re: mcgaughy's spindles and steering bind

did you have the drag link out? it sounds like you have it in backwards the inner tie rods should be behind the center link the nuts are out front. this is a easy mistake too make because it will still fit. ask me how i know
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #3
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteblues View Post
did you have the drag link out? it sounds like you have it in backwards the inner tie rods should be behind the center link the nuts are out front. this is a easy mistake too make because it will still fit. ask me how i know
x2

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #4
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Hey there gang,
I just spent a couple hours sifting through threads on suspension drops, steering, and Mcgaughy's, but can't find anyone with the same issue. I purchased a set of Mcgaughy's drop spindles and six lug discs for my 69 C10.
Everything seemed to be going fine until I went to put the tie rods and center-link together. For some reason they decided to maintain the outer tie rod position relative to the stub axle instead of the lower ball joint. This totally screws up the steering geometry. major bump steer issues, and the inner tie rods now hit the idler arm and pitman arm whenever I try to turn. Has anyone else run into this?
Got any pics?

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:50 PM   #5
Stevie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteblues View Post
Okay, I tried flipping the centerlink, but it's already really close to the crossmember. I will push it out into the daylight tomorrow and take a closer look.
As is, if I try to turn it around, the crossmember is in the way.
I will take pictures and post them tomorrow.
Thanks for the feedback.

I converted Manual to power steering as well. bought what is supposed to be the correct pitman arm. Time to give it another look.

Thanks again,
Steve
Stevie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
midniteblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Okay, I tried flipping the centerlink, but it's already really close to the crossmember. I will push it out into the daylight tomorrow and take a closer look.
As is, if I try to turn it around, the crossmember is in the way.
I will take pictures and post them tomorrow.
Thanks for the feedback.

I converted Manual to power steering as well. bought what is supposed to be the correct pitman arm. Time to give it another look.

Thanks again,
Steve

the center link is very close to the cm when the wheels are in the straight forward postion the center link will move away from the cm when the steering moves through its travel.
as far as your ps i dont think there is a pitman arm that'll fit the taper of the center link and be longer(moving the center link towards the cm).

the tie rods have to be mounted with the nuts forward and the tie rod joint behind the center link if not it creates a bind with all the other parts.

heres some pics these should give you a idea on just how close it really is and how the tie rods are oriented.
Attached Images

'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote