The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2023, 11:59 AM   #1
Belsh

Tremec T56 Magnum

Ive found a T56 magnum to buy across here in the UK for a reasonable price.
I'm wanting to change to manual from my TH350 mounted on a 305 on my C10 and it seems to be a good choice from the reading up I've done.
I dont have much experience in transmission work so hoping you guys can give me any advice on it or questions I should be asking the seller about the T56
He also has a T10 very cheap but I cant find alot out about them

Thanks as always
Belsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 12:13 PM   #2
j_cst_10

Re: Tremec T56 Magnum

I have a T56 magnum in a car of mine, it's awesome. You'll need a different bellhousing set up, hydraulic throw out bearing/clutch master cylinder etc but I'm sure can't be too tricky to get it into the truck.

The magnum has two shifter locations, and a separate bellhousing making it a universal fit transmission versus the integral units found in production vehicles.

1966 Coronet 440 35k mile survivor
1991 Suburban 2500 454/4L80E 2wd
1985 Monte Carlo SS 383 Sbc, t-56 magnum 6spd and Ford 9"
j_cst_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 10:13 AM   #3
Joyridin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belsh View Post
I'm wanting to change to manual from my TH350 mounted on a 305 on my C10 and it seems to be a good choice from the reading up I've done.
I dont have much experience in transmission work so hoping you guys can give me any advice on it or questions I should be asking the seller about the T56

Thanks as always
The T56 Magnum is a killer trans. They made basically 2 versions with different gearing. Either one is great. It should have a provision for a mechanical speedometer?

There are quite a few versions of the original T56, the T56 Magnum, and the TR-6060. Be sure you are getting what you are paying for.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 10:47 AM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cst_10 View Post
I have a T56 magnum in a car of mine, it's awesome. You'll need a different bellhousing set up, hydraulic throw out bearing/clutch master cylinder etc but I'm sure can't be too tricky to get it into the truck.

The magnum has two shifter locations, and a separate bellhousing making it a universal fit transmission versus the integral units found in production vehicles.

I don't know a lot about the T-56 but I'm just curious why you are saying he would need a hydraulic throw out bearing and master cylinder. Can't the trans be used with a stock Chevy manual bell housing and clutch setup?

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 11:09 AM   #5
j_cst_10

The T56 magnum needs an LS style bell housing. It can’t be used with a traditional Muncie style bell housing. I don’t think the transmission and clutch set up is compatible with manual linkage - but I could be wrong.

The t56 magnum is not a T56, the naming is confusing. It is a variant of the production TR6060 found in modern Camaros, challengers, etc. Just with a non integral bellhousing and two shifter locations.

The TkX 5spd tremec came out with can be used with a Muncie style bellhousing which is why it’s been a good addition and fits a lot nicer than the giant t56 magnum.

I really like the 6 spd though. I run 4.10’s and a shorter tire and still cruise 75 at 2200-ish rpm in 6th.

Old 12-21-2023, 11:20 AM   #6
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
The T56 magnum needs an LS style bell housing. It can’t be used with a traditional Muncie style bell housing. I don’t think the transmission and clutch set up is compatible with manual linkage - but I could be wrong.

The t56 magnum is not a T56, the naming is confusing. It is a variant of the production TR6060 found in modern Camaros, challengers, etc. Just with a non integral bellhousing and two shifter locations.

The TkX 5spd tremec came out with can be used with a Muncie style bellhousing which is why it’s been a good addition and fits a lot nicer than the giant t56 magnum.

I really like the 6 spd though. I run 4.10’s and a shorter tire and still cruise 75 at 2200-ish rpm in 6th.

OK, thanks. I thought the Magnum might be the same as the tremec.

LockDoc

-
Old 12-21-2023, 11:49 AM   #7
j_cst_10

Still made by tremec but doesn’t share any similarities with the T56 found in older GM cars. Kind of confusing.

Old 12-21-2023, 12:38 PM   #8
CAMAROBOY68SS

Quote:

Exactly this, I just swapped in a TKX 5 speed into my truck. The TKX has the same bellhousing pattern as a Muncie so you can run stock mechanical clutch, but the Magnum has a larger bolt pattern. Someone might make a aftermarket bellhousing that allows a manual fork for the throwout bearing.

C10 Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=833278

The "Others"
1933 Ford Pickup (Camaro in disguise)
2017 Camaro SS

Life long Chevy guy
CAMAROBOY68SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 12:41 PM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMAROBOY68SS View Post
Exactly this, I just swapped in a TKX 5 speed into my truck. The TKX has the same bellhousing pattern as a Muncie so you can run stock mechanical clutch, but the Magnum has a larger bolt pattern. Someone might make a aftermarket bellhousing that allows a manual fork for the throwout bearing.

Thanks for the input.

LockDoc

-
Old 12-21-2023, 02:32 PM   #10
PbFut

It is likely Quick Time, now owned by Holley, will have whatever combo, engine to trans, mechanical or hydrolic, you desire. I put a Jerico dog box behind a LS2 15 yrs ago using 7 inch quarter master clutch and flywheel and hydrolic clutch. Quick Time had the housing that set the Jerico in perfect position. Oh and it all slid right into a BMW Mcoupe. As for the T56 magnum. Great street box. Ok track box if you slow your gear change just a tiny bit.
PbFut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 11:42 AM   #11
69GMC2004

Quote:

There was a small block version of the T56 (not magnum) used by GM in the Camaro before the LS was introduced. Still had the interchangeable bell housing but if I remember right the input shaft may have been different and possibly front plate to allow mechanical clutch.

Make sure you check the part number tag on the transmission and compare it to Tremec's catalog. There are a lot of variations over the years and they won't all work.
69GMC2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 02:17 PM   #12
CAMAROBOY68SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69GMC2004 View Post
There was a small block version of the T56 (not magnum) used by GM in the Camaro before the LS was introduced. Still had the interchangeable bell housing but if I remember right the input shaft may have been different and possibly front plate to allow mechanical clutch.

Make sure you check the part number tag on the transmission and compare it to Tremec's catalog. There are a lot of variations over the years and they won't all work.
That would be a 4th gen 93-97 Camaro Z/28 or SS, the transmission was the same one used in the LS1 cars. So it has the different bolt pattern on the bellhousing to transmission. They were also hydraulic clutch cars so there was no provision for a mechanical clutch.

The 3rd gen Camaro's (82-92) had a T5 5 speed (except 82, last year of the 4 speed) They used a more typical bellhousing that had the same bolt pattern as a Muncie/Super T10. They had a oddball clutch setup where is was a mix of both mechanical and hydraulic. It was hydraulic on the pedal down to the bellhousing, but then there was a bracket cast onto the bellhousing that mounted a plunger that would then work a typical fork throwout bearing.

The "Others"
2017 Camaro SS

Life long Chevy guy
Old 12-29-2023, 05:49 PM   #13
69GMC2004

Quote:
That would be a 4th gen 93-97 Camaro Z/28 or SS, the transmission was the same one used in the LS1 cars. So it has the different bolt pattern on the bellhousing to transmission. They were also hydraulic clutch cars so there was no provision for a mechanical clutch.

The 3rd gen Camaro's (82-92) had a T5 5 speed (except 82, last year of the 4 speed) They used a more typical bellhousing that had the same bolt pattern as a Muncie/Super T10. They had a oddball clutch setup where is was a mix of both mechanical and hydraulic. It was hydraulic on the pedal down to the bellhousing, but then there was a bracket cast onto the bellhousing that mounted a plunger that would then work a typical fork throwout bearing.
Ahh then it was the Ford T56 that had the mechanical clutch, it's been a while but I used to have one in the shop that the mechanical clutch fork on it.

You can use the LT(SBC) T56 with an LS, but you need to change the bellhousing and input shaft. Input shafts were longer on the LS transmissions if I remember right. I seem to recall a difference in the front plates as well but I can't remember if you needed to change them or not.
69GMC2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 06:02 PM   #14
Joyridin

Quote:

I do not think so. The 93-97 T56 used a clutch fork with a hydraulic set-up. When GM went to the LS1, the input shaft and bellhousing was changed for the LS engines and they used an internal hydraulic slave cylinder.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2023, 08:08 PM   #15
CAMAROBOY68SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyridin View Post
I do not think so. The 93-97 T56 used a clutch fork with a hydraulic set-up. When GM went to the LS1, the input shaft and bellhousing was changed for the LS engines and they used an internal hydraulic slave cylinder.
Maybe, but the 2 LT1 stick F bodies (both 97's) I have worked on were full hydraulic. They could have been converted as they had alot of stuff replaced over the years other than the motor. Only other early 4th gens I have had/worked on were Auto's.

The "Others"
2017 Camaro SS

Life long Chevy guy
Old 01-02-2024, 05:38 PM   #16
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belsh View Post

Thanks as always
I have a Super T-10 in my '70 C10 behind a rowdy small block and love it!

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote