The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay)

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-30-2014, 11:44 AM   #26
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

Re: New C10 stock engine build with a twist

I just looked over the other thread . How solid is the motor now ? Is it smoking ? what does the compression test say ? I would concentrate on imediate repairs at this point and working on driveability . Looks like a pretty solid start .
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #27
pohnjarker

i drove it about 45 minutes from where i picked it up and then around town a bit and no smoking, the only issue was that when i floored it, it bogged a bit and i could smell a lot of gas. but driving normal, no issues.

i dont want to drive it too much because i dont have insurance on it and i dont want to register it. id rather park it and start working on it pulling stuff out.

i only found three mechanical issues with the truck. motor bogs on full throttle with a strong gas smell, tranny takes a little bit to slide into reverse but passes through all drive gears fine, and the rear end leaks and probably has stock 3.08 gears.

all three easy, but time consuming, fixes...IMO.
pohnjarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #28
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

I don't think any of these guys know what their talking about!!!"

Your wanting to 'use the stock motor' but make a 383, and change the heads, and cam and....

Look... the only thing out of the stock motor that is going to be reused in that scenario is the BLOCK and 'possibly' the rods.(but if your building a 6500-7000rpm motor your not going to rely on a set of stock rods with draw through bolts!!!)

You stroke it and you have new pistons, crank, (and sanity says rods) and if your going that far you obviously will change cam, heads, intake, carb.....

Get THIS motor running good (fix the carb issue and do a good tuneup) and work through the issues the truck has. Then buy a block, send it to the machine shop and start building a performance motor. I've seen too many get torn apart,, sit because the builder doesn't have the $ to continue / finish as they want.. so it gets sold for scrap as a pile of parts.

USE your head... get the truck moving and stopping,,, RELIABILY ... then start thinking about making it faster.

well now WAIT A MINUITE...

I think that's what all the guys HAVE been telling you in this thread....
Maybe their pretty sharp after all

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 02:01 PM   #29
cableguy0

I agree with these guys. Get the current engine running good and reliable. Then find another block to start with. Try to find an 87 or newer block that way you can do a roller cam on the cheap. Once the new motor is done yank the old one and store it. A spare motor is priceless especially if you blow up the performance mill. That way you can get yourself right back on the road in a few hours just swapping engines and you can tear down the blown up engine and not have to worry about the truck sitting around while you gather funds and parts.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #30
pohnjarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
I don't think any of these guys know what their talking about!!!
Your wanting to 'use the stock motor' but make a 383, and change the heads, and cam and....
Look... the only thing out of the stock motor that is going to be reused in that scenario is the BLOCK and 'possibly' the rods.(but if your building a 6500-7000rpm motor your not going to rely on a set of stock rods with draw through bolts!!!)
You stroke it and you have new pistons, crank, (and sanity says rods) and if your going that far you obviously will change cam, heads, intake, carb.....
Get THIS motor running good (fix the carb issue and do a good tuneup) and work through the issues the truck has. Then buy a block, send it to the machine shop and start building a performance motor. I've seen too many get torn apart,, sit because the builder doesn't have the $ to continue / finish as they want.. so it gets sold for scrap as a pile of parts.
USE your head... get the truck moving and stopping,,, RELIABILY ... then start thinking about making it faster.
well now WAIT A MINUITE...
I think that's what all the guys HAVE been telling you in this thread....
Maybe their pretty sharp after all
uh oh...someone woke up the old man and his tourettes is acting up again...lol

you're saying what everyone else is saying, only louder.
the only thing i got out of this post is you don't know the difference between "your and you're" and "their, there, and they're." but that's neither here nor there.

i came to this site looking for ideas and i got it and i appreciate them. that's what we're all here for right!

the general consensus is for me to fix this motor and get it running good, then go out and get a newer block and start a performance build from there.

thanks guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
I agree with these guys. Get the current engine running good and reliable. Then find another block to start with. Try to find an 87 or newer block that way you can do a roller cam on the cheap. Once the new motor is done yank the old one and store it. A spare motor is priceless especially if you blow up the performance mill. That way you can get yourself right back on the road in a few hours just swapping engines and you can tear down the blown up engine and not have to worry about the truck sitting around while you gather funds and parts.
sounds like a good plan bud
Old 08-31-2014, 01:30 AM   #31
pohnjarker

how's this look

http://killeen.craigslist.org/ptd/4594715137.html

or this

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/pts/4627806319.html
Old 08-31-2014, 08:08 AM   #32
hotrod 80
mini truck racer

I bought this one the other day for $1500 motor , trans , wiring harness , computer , exhaust past o2 sensors , front half of drive shaft , all accesaries even the air box . Shop around . A buddy just bought a 5.3 that he heard run for $1200 and the guy pulled it and delivered it of $1200 .
http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/4596734285.html
1978 Chevy Luv Blue
1976 Chevy Luv Black
1979 Firebird Flooded in Harvey
1999 F350 Dually
2005 GMC Sierra 4.8 RCSB
2014 Explorer (wifes)

My build :http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=399148

Build #2: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653583
hotrod 80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:39 AM   #33
Marv D
Registered Truck Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by pohnjarker View Post
uh oh...someone woke up the old man and his tourettes is acting up again...lol

you're saying what everyone else is saying, only louder.
the only thing i got out of this post is you don't know the difference between "your and you're" and "their, there, and they're." but that's neither here nor there.
Surely you misunderstand the jest in all that. But thank you for the grammar lesson.

When you're dead, it's only a problem for the people around you, because you don't know you're dead.
.....It's kinda the same when your STUPID.

I just did my taxes and reviewed my SS statement. Thanks to the current administration it looks like I will only have to work till noon on the day of my funeral.
Marv D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:18 PM   #34
Super73

Marv, kwit beaing sew obknocksis...
1/4---10.38 @ 126.97----9.24 @ 142.49
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #35
pohnjarker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod 80 View Post
I bought this one the other day for $1500 motor , trans , wiring harness , computer , exhaust past o2 sensors , front half of drive shaft , all accesaries even the air box . Shop around . A buddy just bought a 5.3 that he heard run for $1200 and the guy pulled it and delivered it of $1200 .
http://houston.craigslist.org/pts/4596734285.html
so what is your plan with that, do you take it as is and drop it into your truck or are you going to pull it apart and change some things