The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-28-2012, 07:53 PM   #176
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Re: '60 GMC Suburban (Project D-Daddy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcuz View Post
So you back in Portland now? Sorry to hear it did not work out with the lady, its always nice to have a good one around. Susie and I just celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary Saturday.
Thanks buddy. Yeah I am back now and just got a new job and place to live. Looking forward to getting back to work on the ol' girl. There should be lots of posts over the next few weeks hopefully.
Corts60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #177
johnnyclack

Location: On the banks of the Clackamas River, Eagle CreeK Oregon

I can't wait to see her on the "High Way"

That split front seat brings back a lot memories for me, I can almost recall the smell of the plastic interior those trucks had when they were new
johnnyclack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #178
justcuz

Was looking at the map book yesterday. Just read a little travalogue about an eastern Oregon run. Pondering a 395 to 20 to 84. 84 north and west along the Columbia to the coast. Down the coast to Eureka/Ferndale and then down to Ft Bragg. Take the Skunk Train. Then across 20 to 5 to the 210 to home. Maybe take a week or so. Have to wait till after the 16th of Sept because I am having a buddy from St George visiting that weekend.

84 is shown as a scenic route from the Idaho border to Pendelton. Any other suggestions for alternate routes are welcome.

Did you ever take the spacers out of the stock rear springs and see how it sets? My buddy down here has a 63 with a 292 six and a SM420. He was going to put a Muncie M22 in it. I am trying to talk him out of it. The SM420 is just like a 3 spd with that great granny option for towing boats up launch ramps, pushing drag cars, pulling older relics out of the spots they have sunk into over the last 10 years and cruising. That granny gear also works great in the LA area rush hour traffic where you just inch along at 2-5 mph too!

He is also talking about bags and such to lower it. My argument against it is this; any time you modify a vehicle past the point where it is easy to return it to stock, you limit the interest people have in your vehicle and restrict its resale value. I can tell you from a personal aspect, I love the look of a mildly modified/personalized stock vehicle. Period correct wheels and tires and things that would be correct for the time in history when it would have been new to 5 to 10 years old. Older trucks laying frame with 20's and rubber band tires don't even get a second look from me. But a cool slighly lowered truck or Sub with period correct aluminum wheels or steel wheels with small caps and beauty rings looks good. An early Chevy truck with passenger car dog dish hubcaps looks very cool, but not many do it. Your square is the exception and they look good, in fact steel wheels painted the same color as the roof/side panels with those caps and beauty rings would be a good look. You could probaly sell or trade those Centerlines to finance some 8" wide steel wheels. Sadly even though Centerlines are period correct I never really cared for them. Cragars or American 5 spokes would look better and allow cooling air to enter the brakes.

My judgement criteria is this, if you can't drive that vehicle a thousand miles comfortably and get some enjoyment out of it, without making a mess out of the whole thing (lowered vehicles with no inner fender panels need not apply) then I can't justify owning it. I have more interesting things to do with my time than be a slave to a polishing rag. Furthermore my vehicles have to be capable of doing multiple things, drive the aforementioned thousand or more miles, bring along friends, or tow a trailer, or do anything thing other than be a single use vehicle. Funny too because at this point in my life I could actually afford to have a single use vehicle, but I have lived by this criteria for so long (having a family does that to you) it has become more logical as I get older.

So I guess if I ever build a hot rod it will have to be a roadster pickup, with a trailer hitch!

Last edited by justcuz; 08-31-2012 at 02:21 PM.
justcuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #179
chevy_man5
GMC's n H.D.'s too!

Justcuz, if you run 84 through Idaho, holler, you will be running right through my back yard! Not much for scenic in and around here, have to get off the freeway and head up into the mountains for that.

1960 GMC 4x4 Babe (the Blue Ox) - Build Thread
chevy_man5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:57 AM   #180
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
My argument against it is this; any time you modify a vehicle past the point where it is easy to return it to stock, you limit the interest people have in your vehicle and restrict its resale value. I can tell you from a personal aspect, I love the look of a mildly modified/personalized stock vehicle. Period correct wheels and tires and things that would be correct for the time in history when it would have been new to 5 to 10 years old. Older trucks laying frame with 20's and rubber band tires don't even get a second look from me. But a cool slighly lowered truck or Sub with period correct aluminum wheels or steel wheels with small caps and beauty rings looks good. An early Chevy truck with passenger car dog dish hubcaps looks very cool, but not many do it. Your square is the exception and they look good, in fact steel wheels painted the same color as the roof/side panels with those caps and beauty rings would be a good look. You could probaly sell or trade those Centerlines to finance some 8" wide steel wheels. Sadly even though Centerlines are period correct I never really cared for them. Cragars or American 5 spokes would look better and allow cooling air to enter the brakes.

My judgement criteria is this, if you can't drive that vehicle a thousand miles comfortably and get some enjoyment out of it, without making a mess out of the whole thing (lowered vehicles with no inner fender panels need not apply) then I can't justify owning it. I have more interesting things to do with my time than be a slave to a polishing rag. Furthermore my vehicles have to be capable of doing multiple things, drive the aforementioned thousand or more miles, bring along friends, or tow a trailer, or do anything thing other than be a single use vehicle. Funny too because at this point in my life I could actually afford to have a single use vehicle, but I have lived by this criteria for so long (having a family does that to you) it has become more logical as I get older.

So I guess if I ever build a hot rod it will have to be a roadster pickup, with a trailer hitch!
I agree with every damn thing you've said brother. Spot on.

Also, taking 84 from the tri-cities to Portland is incredibly beautiful and one of my favorite drives in this country. So peaceful and beautiful.

PM for my number and we'll hook up when you fly through. I am just off I5 in North Portland.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #181
Corts60
Just here to tinker

OK I got the suburban to her new home! I just moved in to my new place on monday and while the house is destroyed with boxes and scattered clothes, the garage is almost all put together.

Here is a pic of her sitting comfortably under cover. Starting today I am going to tear the original intake manifold off and finally put on my 97 set up. It's only been a year in waiting.

Then I am going to attack some exhaust leaks and get her on the road again because I feel some issues coming on with my diesel pickup and I may need the 'burb for a daily driver shortly. . . .
Old 09-07-2012, 10:40 AM   #182
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Well, I got the intake off yesterday and spent about an hour cleaning all of the garbage out of the valley. Any of you who own or have owned a GMC V6 know that debris loves to collect in there and around where the spark plugs sit. Last year when I bought the suburban and got it running there was one spark plug I couldn't get out because it was rusted so bad I couldn't grip it. Well I finally got that bugger out. See the pics.

Old 09-08-2012, 08:53 AM   #183
johnnyclack

I have found better looking plugs than that,... digging for worms
Old 09-09-2012, 10:16 AM   #184
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Well I got the new intake and carb on. All I have to do is finish up the throttle linkage and find a fitting for my vacuum advance. Now it is on to finish repairing up the exhaust so I can get her back on the road.

As a note, I usually never tear something apart and put it back together without painting or cleaning it up, but to keep this from snowballing I had to ignore the ugly engine to get it on the road because I have to prepare for a top end overhaul on my diesel DD. So after that overhaul is complete then I can get the suburban back in the garage and tear into it for real.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #185
justcuz

Looks good!

As you can tell my trip up north did not materialize! wife planned a retirement party for me and I've been hiding all my stuff (reorganizing) for the party tomorrow. 150 close friends and co-workers, taco guy, Margaritas, Mai Tais, apple pie moonshine and beer. I put up 20 quarts of apple pie moonshine and its been sitiing for a week.

After that I am flying to Michigan on the 17th of October and the wife and I are using my Moms Buick to cruise the fall colors back east. We will be home before Thanksgiving! Sooner if it starts snowing!

So I guess I will see you after the first of the year Cort. i'll give you plenty of advance notice.

Nice to have a garage, I did a valve job on my boys truck in a carport in Lake Stevens, Wasington once a few years ago. It was November, cold, damp and rainy. I thought my back would never forgive me!
Old 10-05-2012, 11:40 PM   #186
McMurphy

Quote:
I put up 20 quarts of apple pie moonshine and its been sitiing for a week.
Yeah, NOW we are talking !!
Bummer about aborting your PNW loop drive. I have been all over those areas in my travels and it is some of the most beautiful driving you can imagine.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #187
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Looks good!

As you can tell my trip up north did not materialize! wife planned a retirement party for me and I've been hiding all my stuff (reorganizing) for the party tomorrow. 150 close friends and co-workers, taco guy, Margaritas, Mai Tais, apple pie moonshine and beer. I put up 20 quarts of apple pie moonshine and its been sitiing for a week.

After that I am flying to Michigan on the 17th of October and the wife and I are using my Moms Buick to cruise the fall colors back east. We will be home before Thanksgiving! Sooner if it starts snowing!

So I guess I will see you after the first of the year Cort. i'll give you plenty of advance notice.

Nice to have a garage, I did a valve job on my boys truck in a carport in Lake Stevens, Wasington once a few years ago. It was November, cold, damp and rainy. I thought my back would never forgive me!
Nice man. That should be awesome cruising on the east coast. I lived in Baltimore for a year awhile ago and it was awesome in the fall.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #188
Corts60
Just here to tinker

PROGRESS!!!! So I have removed the quarter windows and the rear tailgate glass. And when I pulled the quarter window frames, I found out that they are in amazing condition considering they are 52 years old. I have heard stories about the tracks being rusted away completely and I was worried about that but I was so excited when I found that they are complete! Only surface rust. Thank you Eastern Oregon!

So, my plan for this winter is to start at the roof line and work my way down with sanding and body work then paint. I am going to paint down to the body line and spray the interior. After that, I will install all new rubber all the way around and get the interior back together. That is my goal for the winter. Next winter I will start on the bottom half of things.

Here are some progress pics:

I love how there is still shiny black paint on the frames after all these years!

This is the worst track and it isn't as bad as the pictures look:

Old 10-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #189
justcuz

Going to be nice! What did you finally end up with for rear springs?
Old 10-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #190
johnnyclack

Amen: Eastern Oregon
Old 10-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #191
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Going to be nice! What did you finally end up with for rear springs?
Still just have the TJ springs in there with air shocks. I want to try something new before next spring but we'll see if I get to it. I mostly just want to get the top sealed and water tight. Sometimes, when you live in the NW, you have to set your priorities according to the weather.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:27 PM   #192
justcuz

You may want to re-install the stock ones without the spring spacers in them. they obviously had settled some thats why they put those spacers in them. Another option is find some old 1/2 ton pickup coils, they may have a smaller wire diameter since they are not carrying the load of the roof and glass all the time. Take your calipers to the wrecking yard and measure the wire diameter of each spring and buy the smallest wire diameter you can find.
Lastly you might try GM passenger car rear coils, many will be taller but have a smaller wire diameter and actually settle down to were you want them.

When you seal the roof, you mean along the drip rail? You have to remove the old dried and shrunken sealer and replace it? I've always wondered what they used along those edges and what would be a good commercial replacement that can be painted over with automotive finishes.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #193
justcuz

Going to knock the dents out of the fender wells too? I just noticed the inside of the center of the tailgate appears to have a recess in it. Any clues as to what its for? Looks too big and purposeful to be a dent.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #194
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Believe it or not, that actually is a huge dent in the tailgate. It is supposed to be straight across. I haven't figured out what I am going to do with the fender wells and tailgate yet. Not sure there is a whole lot to do unless I find some good donors and cut and paste.

As for the roof gutter, yeah I don't know what that original junk is and I am going to look through threads on here to see what others have used and how satisfied they were with the results.
Old 10-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #195
Corts60
Just here to tinker

So I got the windshield out and removed the cowl vent and upper fender covers. I was so happy when I saw the condition underneath there. Everything is in super good shape. There is only one rust through spot and it is about the size of a dime in the dash where the windshield rubber sits. It shouldn't be too hard to patch up. Here's the pics:
You can sorta see the spot I'm talking about here

The rest is beautiful as far as I'm concerned

Old 10-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #196
Newtz67

Just read through this whole thread. Had some major flashbacks when I saw the pics of the gas tank and sending unit. haha. Burb looks awesome man! I'll be following this one!
Newtz67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #197
justcuz

I've had pretty decent luck knocking fenderwell dents out by removing the tire and using a rubber mallet or deadblow hammer. For the smaller ones I use a piece of flat stock or hardwood dowel. Rinse the wheelwell thoroughly and let dry before this job, but still use goggles and a hat. Road dirt still manages to fall out. That being said, my sons truck when he returned from Seattle was squeaky clean underneath. All that rain sure keeps the undercarriage clean!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:47 PM   #198
Corts60
Just here to tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtz67 View Post
Just read through this whole thread. Had some major flashbacks when I saw the pics of the gas tank and sending unit. haha. Burb looks awesome man! I'll be following this one!
Thanks man!
Old 10-14-2012, 04:52 PM   #199
Corts60
Just here to tinker

I got the heater all disassembled and took the last seat out today. Unfortunately, there is officially no build sheet tucked away anywhere. Dang. There was a glimmer of hope it would be in the back of the driver seat.

Here are some pics of the floors and the worst rust on the burb. I can already see my list of things to accomplish this winter snow-balling. I only wanted to do the roof and windows but now it looks like I am going to do the entire interior as well. Luckily, some grinding/sanding and paint is all that about 90% of the interior needs. And since floor pans are cheap and I have a TIG welder available to me, that should be easy as well.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:13 AM   #200
Corts60
Just here to tinker

OK, I've made some more headway on the burb. Got the major surface rust in the interior ground out and this weekend I am going to sand the rest of it and start spraying primer.

What a nasty job this was!