The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2015, 04:59 PM   #1
Greasey Harley

maintenance mod

I hear all these terms; Hot Rod, rat rod, restomod...none of these seem to fit my plan, or my budget.
So, I have coined My own phrase. Maintenance mod.
What is this? Well, anything that needs fixed, it's fixed. While it's apart, it gets completely gone through and rebuilt ( if needed). If it needs upgraded, it gets upgraded. Systematically throughout the truck until the entire thing has been "maintenanced" back to dependability.
how is this different?
First, I keep driving the truck. This fact is paramount.I do not want to tear something apart, that would keep me from driving the truck for an extended amount of time.I truly enjoy driving the truck.
Second, (for now) I will only focus my time and money on things that make the truck more dependable, more solid, or more enjoyable to drive.ie. handles better, runs better, doesn't leak this or that, quieter, smoother, etc.
I will spend zero time on exterior aesthetics.
Does this make it a patina truck, or a rat rod? No. I fully intend on painting in the truck... Someday
But
Why tear apart a perfectly enjoyable truck (for paint), and not be able to enjoy driving it. I don't have the time or budget for a good paint job right now.so, my theory is, AFTER everything is fixed, and the truck is completely sound and dependable, I can just drive it down to have a decent paint job put on it. In the meantime, it's making me smile, every day I get to drive it.
it's like I always say about my old greasy Harley, "you polish yours, I'm riding mine."
Greasey Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:04 PM   #2
engineer_gregh

Re: maintenance mod

I don't know if its a patina or rat rod but I like the way you look at it. If over restored, expensive paint, and the like would you really drive it as much or would you be afraid of every little scratch or ding?
1975 K5 4x4 full convertible

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=645165

Greg Smyrna TN
engineer_gregh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:31 PM   #3
Swar

I like the idea. I think mine falls under that category as well. I've done a lot of work to it, but no frame-off restoration. Just constant improvement. I had it painted professionally a few years back, it looked great, but as time went on, I watched the paint job slowly deteriorate. I realized what I had, a truck built to drive. So I sanded it all down again, did minimal body work and sprayed it myself. Now I just touch up areas with a rattle can. I don't need anything more than that. I like seeing nature take it over, it has a personality now, character. Doing mechanical improvements to make it handle and perform interests me more. It's a sleeper.

My project: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=651651
Swar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:46 PM   #4
no1udknow

or maybe reliable mod, driver mod.
My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:35 PM   #5
DarkFlounder

I like your idea, and my 72 sort of falls into that category. However, I will be eventually replacing some of the body (bed, driver door, rusty parts in the cab). But it's meant to be a daily driver, not a show truck.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:46 PM   #6
Longhorn 70

I too like the way you address the truck. If it needs fixed, clean fix and fix things around it.

Though mine has newer paint on it, trucks are trucks to me... I drive it and use it as such.
Attached Images

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 07:01 PM   #7
Greasey Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFlounder View Post
I like your idea, and my 72 sort of falls into that category. However, I will be eventually replacing some of the body (bed, driver door, rusty parts in the cab). But it's meant to be a daily driver, not a show truck.
Rust repair is legit. That's not cosmetic, it is structural. All rust will be repaired on my truck also.
I will spot paint the repaired areas original blue. No primer spots on my truck.
Greasey Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:35 PM   #8
swamp rat

Same catagory but ready to start the body work stage shortly, thats why i called my thread "Rat repair"

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:16 AM   #9
ole dollor

sounds like ole dollor , a daily driver that I work on and fix things all the time . keep it safe and running...... and try and make it look better when I can.
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote