The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-21-2015, 05:16 AM   #476
Xeen

Re: '57 Ford Custom 300 Tudor Sedan

I'm sorry to hear the ford is giving you so much grief.
Nice Challenger Vic, how much horsepower does that Hemi make?
Old 08-21-2015, 07:44 AM   #477
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic1947 View Post
Thx, Scott. If you ever doubted I was a car 'ho", this is proof positive. We are officially decked out with GM, FoMoCo, and Mopar hardware.
Hey Vic... I am only partially a car Ho... I have 2 Fords and 2 Chevy's... LOL

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

B Bears Build Thread:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=744210
Elliot949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:03 AM   #478
knomadd

Sorry to hear about all the trouble with parts Vic, but it sounds like you're getting it all taken care of. Hopefully the guys at Hyrdatech will get you taken care of, and not take forever doing it.

Nice Challenger too! I think I'm a "car ho" too. I have two Pontiac's and a Chevy, plus my wife's Ford. Granted, two of them are daily drivers, from the 2000's, but we still have 4 cars for two people (wife says 3 are mine and one is hers).

C/10 Club Texas member
1971 Chevy C10 "Brutus" SWB Fleetside 2016 6.0L (L96) 6L90E (driver/project)
1965 Pontiac GTO "Royal Goat" 400/TH400 w/AC (my baby)
knomadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:20 AM   #479
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeen View Post
I'm sorry to hear the ford is giving you so much grief.
Nice Challenger Vic, how much horsepower does that Hemi make?
Hey Brian, it's the small Hemi... puts out about 375 I believe. Our very first new car was a '69 R/T Charger with the 375 HP 440. This new one feels about as strong with a lot less cubes and much better manners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot949 View Post
Hey Vic... I am only partially a car Ho... I have 2 Fords and 2 Chevy's... LOL
Yep, Car Ho's R Us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knomadd View Post
Sorry to hear about all the trouble with parts Vic, but it sounds like you're getting it all taken care of. Hopefully the guys at Hyrdatech will get you taken care of, and not take forever doing it.

Nice Challenger too! I think I'm a "car ho" too. I have two Pontiac's and a Chevy, plus my wife's Ford. Granted, two of them are daily drivers, from the 2000's, but we still have 4 cars for two people (wife says 3 are mine and one is hers).
Thanks, Duane, I'm sure the guys at Hydratech will get it sorted out. From talking to them, it sounds like they're very busy so hopefully they can work this re-do into their schedule. Nice folks, though.
I need to stop by next time we're in Houston and check out your hotrods.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:43 PM   #480
Vic1947

We had to make a trip outta town today, but when we returned the box from Hydratech was sitting on the front porch. After weeks of delays and excuses I may now be able to move forward. I took some preliminary measurements after removing it from the carton and it should now bolt up correctly. A couple of weeks ago they complained about having to alter the pushrod that activates the m/c, so to remove that from the whine list, I went ahead and purchased one from them. That way if it didn't fit, it would be 100% on them.

For those keeping track, I ordered this unit on July 8th. It took two and a half months to finally get something that will at least bolt to the firewall. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will actually work. Last Tuesday when I called, I probably burned the last bridge between me and them, so if it doesn't work, I've pissed away over $1000. Their stuff may be jam up, but their business model sucks. When we lived in TX, they had a saying... "Don't piss on my boots and tell me it's raining." That about sums up my experience. YMMV

Anyway, I will try to get back on track and post some progress reports. The front steering rebuild is done, the new alternator is on, the valve covers are 95% done with only the counterbores for the eyeglass screws left to do and as soon as the brake unit is in and plumbed, I can get it back to NKC Brake for the alignment. Hope to have it done before the snow flies.
Attached Images

Old 09-25-2015, 09:52 AM   #481
knomadd

Well that's very disappointing about their customer service. What a shame. Hopefully it works this time.

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 09-25-2015, 10:54 AM   #482
jlsanborn

Somehow I've missed a few updates here, like my sub got broken? That MC setup looks slick Vic and I'm sure with that much invested you'll get it working. The whole car is super sexy and your thread photos are like a magazine layout. Congrats on the new whip too!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:52 AM   #483
Low Elco

HOt stuff! Glad it got straightened out.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:04 PM   #484
Xeen

I'm pulling for you Vic, hopefully it bolts right up and works as intended.
I will be watching for the update where you claim victory!
Old 09-27-2015, 07:00 PM   #485
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsanborn View Post
Somehow I've missed a few updates here, like my sub got broken? That MC setup looks slick Vic and I'm sure with that much invested you'll get it working. The whole car is super sexy and your thread photos are like a magazine layout. Congrats on the new whip too!
Thanks, John. I always figure a picture is worth a thousand words.

Saturday afternoon, we went to the KCI Cruise out by the airport. They only have it once a year in the fall. It was a beautiful afternoon and there were a ton of cars there. We took the Challenger and had a great time... even though it attracts a lot less attention than the '57.

Earlier in the day, I finally got the end mill I needed to counter bore the stainless trim for the eyeglass screws. The c/b lets the screw head sit down in the recess so it doesn't snag when you wipe it down with a cloth. I used the same Avery double sided adhesive as before to attach the trim. But with three screws per side, it shouldn't move when the engine gets hot. At least that's what I hope. I used a little dab of JB Weld on the backside of the screws to seal and retain them. You barely notice the screws at all. The valve covers switched sides, so the PCV now sits in the rear, closer to the fitting in the back of the carb. I'll have to reroute the vacuum line but that's easy.
Attached Images

Old 09-27-2015, 07:09 PM   #486
jlsanborn

Details!!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=471776
jlsanborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:37 PM   #487
Xeen

Very nice Vic, I like the nod to the cars side trim.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:41 PM   #488
Vic1947

Quote:
Well that's very disappointing about their customer service. What a shame. Hopefully it works this time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
HOt stuff! Glad it got straightened out.
Quote:
I'm pulling for you Vic, hopefully it bolts right up and works as intended.
I will be watching for the update where you claim victory!
Thanks, guys! I spent some time working on routing the lines today when not sweating in the yard. Removed a tree to save myself $100, all the while mumbling... car parts, car parts, car parts!

The new bolt pattern for the machined firewall flange is now correct so I bolted it up to mock up the lines. When I tried to thread in the supplied hose fitting from H-T, I noticed the threads seemed to get tight after a couple of rounds but long before the inverted flare tubing made contact. So I removed the unit and put it on the bench for further investigation. Turns out, they did what you see a lot with metric power steering units. In the early 80's the factory switched from 5/8-18 inverted flare fittings to M16x1.5 o-ring fittings. The two threads are very similar, so crafty car guys came up with the little brass inserts that fit in the o-ring bore and convert the metric back to SAE. Except that the two threads are not an exact match. What happens is that after a couple of rounds, the dissimilar thread pitches start to bind up. Most guys will dial up the grunt and force the two threads to get along, but you know me.

As luck would have it, I happened to have a M16x1.5 to -6AN adapter in my spare fittings box, so I removed the brass insert and re-plumbed the end of the Teflon line with a 90 degree -6AN fitting. Then threw the 5/8-18 inverted flare fitting into the spare parts box. I figured something might be up because all the threads on the booster were oddball. Where the m/c bolts to the booster, it appears to have bizarre M11x1.75 LH threads. They might possibly be 7/16-14 LH, but regardless, neither bolt is to be found from any of my sources. The H-T solution was to run a 3/8 socket cap screw thru the threaded hole and use a nut on the backside. Of course, the hole in the booster is larger than the pilot diameter on the flanged end of the m/c, so it slops all around. I'll sleeve it to center the m/c properly, but will probably use the redneck bolt fix since I don't have time to get studs made that will fit. We'd like to take the '57 to a show next weekend and the season is winding down quickly now.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2015, 03:54 AM   #489
Xeen

Now see I can just hear those guys at the shop when they were remanufacturing it, I am gonna screw this guy by using some obscure thread pattern that no one and I mean no one uses and he can't even get <enter evil machinist revenge laugh here> Mhmm.

Last edited by Xeen; 09-28-2015 at 03:59 AM.
Xeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:20 AM   #490
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
Thanks, guys! I spent some time working on routing the lines today when not sweating in the yard. Removed a tree to save myself $100, all the while mumbling... car parts, car parts, car parts!

The new bolt pattern for the machined firewall flange is now correct so I bolted it up to mock up the lines. When I tried to thread in the supplied hose fitting from H-T, I noticed the threads seemed to get tight after a couple of rounds but long before the inverted flare tubing made contact. So I removed the unit and put it on the bench for further investigation. Turns out, they did what you see a lot with metric power steering units. In the early 80's the factory switched from 5/8-18 inverted flare fittings to M16x1.5 o-ring fittings. The two threads are very similar, so crafty car guys came up with the little brass inserts that fit in the o-ring bore and convert the metric back to SAE. Except that the two threads are not an exact match. What happens is that after a couple of rounds, the dissimilar thread pitches start to bind up. Most guys will dial up the grunt and force the two threads to get along, but you know me.

As luck would have it, I happened to have a M16x1.5 to -6AN adapter in my spare fittings box, so I removed the brass insert and re-plumbed the end of the Teflon line with a 90 degree -6AN fitting. Then threw the 5/8-18 inverted flare fitting into the spare parts box. I figured something might be up because all the threads on the booster were oddball. Where the m/c bolts to the booster, it appears to have bizarre M11x1.75 LH threads. They might possibly be 7/16-14 LH, but regardless, neither bolt is to be found from any of my sources. The H-T solution was to run a 3/8 socket cap screw thru the threaded hole and use a nut on the backside. Of course, the hole in the booster is larger than the pilot diameter on the flanged end of the m/c, so it slops all around. I'll sleeve it to center the m/c properly, but will probably use the redneck bolt fix since I don't have time to get studs made that will fit. We'd like to take the '57 to a show next weekend and the season is winding down quickly now.

What show are you and Kathy looking at going too?...

Haulin's Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=671130SOLD

Old 09-28-2015, 10:06 AM   #491
Vic1947

Quote:
Now see I can just hear those guys at the shop when they were remanufacturing it, I am gonna screw this guy by using some obscure thread pattern that no one and I mean no one uses and he can't even get <enter evil machinist revenge laugh here> Mhmm.
Well in this case, I can't really blame Hydratech. This is how the boosters were originally manufactured. H-T just incorporates the adapter plates and pushrods for a specific application and maybe does a little "dress up" before sending them on the way. But whoever designed them with the weird threads in the first place needs to have their head examined.
Quote:
What show are you and Kathy looking at going too?...
It's the "Built to Perform" show in Lone Jack, MO on Saturday, October 3rd. We've never been to it, so I have no idea what the turnout will be like. Right now, the weatherman is a bit pessimistic, but we'll know more when it gets closer. Meanwhile, I need to get the plumbing done and the brakes bled so I can do a test drive. Had to order a few fittings from Jegs that won't be here until Wednesday, but if I get motivated I'll make it.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:43 PM   #492
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Quote:
Well in this case, I can't really blame Hydratech. This is how the boosters were originally manufactured. H-T just incorporates the adapter plates and pushrods for a specific application and maybe does a little "dress up" before sending them on the way. But whoever designed them with the weird threads in the first place needs to have their head examined.

It's the "Built to Perform" show in Lone Jack, MO on Saturday, October 3rd. We've never been to it, so I have no idea what the turnout will be like. Right now, the weatherman is a bit pessimistic, but we'll know more when it gets closer. Meanwhile, I need to get the plumbing done and the brakes bled so I can do a test drive. Had to order a few fittings from Jegs that won't be here until Wednesday, but if I get motivated I'll make it.

Work work work... LOL

Old 09-28-2015, 07:11 PM   #493
Vic1947

Quote:
Work work work... LOL
True that, Dan!

Got a late start this morning running some errands, but did manage to get the braided SS hoses cut to length and hose ends installed after I got back home. The return line from the booster to the PS pump is cut to length but waiting for a fitting from Jegs. The one I had didn't match the existing one and they're so close together it was very obvious. With the hoses under control, I got busy on the spacer ring for the m/c. I scrounged up a piece of aluminum round from the scrap box and worked some lathe magic on it. Fits like socks on a rooster now. The ring will take up the slop and keep the m/c piston and the booster pushrod aligned. Tomorrow I'll start bending the SS hard lines that go between the m/c and the front/rear brake lines. The Jegs order also includes new SS tube nuts and sleeves as I didn't want to destroy the original lines. If this deal doesn't work out, I may need them again.
Attached Images

Old 09-28-2015, 08:31 PM   #494
Elliot949
Dan Johnston

Nice work Vic...

Old 09-29-2015, 10:16 AM   #495
knomadd

Wow, I'm sorry to hear you've had so many issues with the hydratech booster setup. It makes me wonder if I'm just lucky or ignorant to these issues on my setups. Looks like you've got it figured out. Nice work, as usual.

C/10 Club Texas member
Old 09-29-2015, 10:43 AM   #496
Vic1947

Quote:
Wow, I'm sorry to hear you've had so many issues with the hydratech booster setup. It makes me wonder if I'm just lucky or ignorant to these issues on my setups. Looks like you've got it figured out. Nice work, as usual.
I think it's just me being overly critical, Duane. All the time spent waiting on the booster unit and the endless runarounds took the fun out of what should have been an interesting project. However, I continue to believe the unit will perform as intended when it's all said and done. There's always problems when the metric world collides with SAE and different folks solve those issues in different ways. If I end up with great brakes, I'll forget all about the hiccups.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:24 PM   #497
sduckworth13

Nice work on the valve covers Vic. Glad you got the hydrobooster also, hope the booster works out this time around.
Old 09-30-2015, 11:17 PM   #498
Vic1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by sduckworth13 View Post
Nice work on the valve covers Vic. Glad you got the hydrobooster also, hope the booster works out this time around.
Hey Scott, thanks. I was hoping to have it all together for a test this weekend but looks like it will be delayed again. The (in stock) parts I ordered from Jegs on Monday morning didn't leave their warehouse until this evening. Tracking info now says they'll arrive on Saturday. Just gotta relax... took me 25 years to get to this point, so a few more days won't kill me.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:19 AM   #499
Xeen

There will be quite a few very nice days coming up that you can take full advantage of and enjoy the hell out of it before winter sets in.
Old 10-02-2015, 07:30 PM   #500
Vic1947

Quote:
There will be quite a few very nice days coming up that you can take full advantage of and enjoy the hell out of it before winter sets in.
You bet.. and I plan to do just that!

The post office delivered my Jegs order ahead of schedule this afternoon, so I did some tube bending. Previously, I'd bent up some aluminum welding rod to use as guides for the real deal. Carefully straightened the coiled SS tubing and used the front guide to lay out the bends. The photo makes it look pretty close, but trust me when I say, I made at least a dozen trips between the underside of the car and the workbench getting the ends to line up just right. AN fittings no likey offsets or angles!

With the front line installed, I got busy on the rear line. All I had left to do was to flare the end that connects to the m/c. That's when I realized the flaring dies wouldn't fit the cut length I needed. The solution is to build the line from the opposite direction. So that's my project for tomorrow morning.
Attached Images