The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-05-2014, 12:07 AM   #1
David121582

Porterbuilt Rear Extreme Questions

Hey guys,
I have searched the forums for probably two hours tonight trying to find pics or answers to these questions but can't find anything. First this truck is a 69 stepside with the weld in extreme trailing arm setup from porterbuilt.

First The axle side pan hard bar mount has four locating holes and I can't find pics of which hole to use and the instructions don't say either.

Also the instructions state that the trailing arm cross member uses the existing holes but the bolts provided will not fit through the holes. Should I just go buy some proper sized grade 8 bolts or should I figure out a way to drill out the holes. The problem with drilling them out will be the holes on the top side of the frame as I am doing this install with the cab on.

I know there was something else but can't think of it right now of course. Thanks for any assistance and let me know if you have any more questions.

I'll attempt to post some pics but can't quite remember how right now and I'll try again later.
David121582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 01:37 AM   #2
David121582

Re: Porterbuilt Rear Extreme Questions

Heres a pic of the pan hard bar but didnt feel like crawling under the truck after showering already to get pics of the bolt holes in question. Oh and sorry the pic is sideways.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2014, 06:58 AM   #3
PGSigns

The four holes are used to adjust the track bar to the ride you are looking for. The angle will make small changes in the handling of the truck. Ever watch NASCAR when they stick the wrench in the back window and put a turn or two on it? They are adjusting the track bar most the time.
Jimmy
1966 BBW long fleet Daily driver
1965 BBW short fleet Sold and going to a good home
1965 Suburban
2003 3500 Duramax
2005 Ultra Classic
PGSigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

You want the panhard bar as close to "level" and possible at ride height,

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Stepside SPECIFIC trucks will need to move the trailing arm crossmember FORWARD on extreme dropmembers.
You really need the bed on to know placement of the rear wheels in the wheel opening.
I found this out the hard way,...

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David121582 View Post
Hey guys,
I have searched the forums for probably two hours tonight trying to find pics or answers to these questions but can't find anything. First this truck is a 69 stepside with the weld in extreme trailing arm setup from porterbuilt.

First The axle side pan hard bar mount has four locating holes and I can't find pics of which hole to use and the instructions don't say either.

Also the instructions state that the trailing arm cross member uses the existing holes but the bolts provided will not fit through the holes. Should I just go buy some proper sized grade 8 bolts or should I figure out a way to drill out the holes. The problem with drilling them out will be the holes on the top side of the frame as I am doing this install with the cab on.

I know there was something else but can't think of it right now of course. Thanks for any assistance and let me know if you have any more questions.

I'll attempt to post some pics but can't quite remember how right now and I'll try again later.

Lolife answered the trac-bar question.... you want it in the hole that puts it most parallel to the ground at ride height.

In regards to the trailing arm x-member... the bolts provided are 7/16" and the rivet hole in the frame is just a little smaller than the bolts. We recommend drilling out the holes in the frame for the supplied 7/16 grade 8 hardware.

It can be challenging with the cab in place. I have a small 90* electric drill that I bought at Home Depot that works great for this application. I cut down a drill bit so it would fit nicely in between the frame rails.

Hopefully this info helps! Send any other tech questions to tech@pbfab.com. They come straight to me.

Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Stepside SPECIFIC trucks will need to move the trailing arm crossmember FORWARD on extreme dropmembers.
You really need the bed on to know placement of the rear wheels in the wheel opening.
I found this out the hard way,...
This is correct. Our instructions do specify the different notch location for a Stepside bed vs. a Fleetside bed.... and the trailing arm x-member and notch are located further forward on the steppers.

It's crazy to think that the wheel well opening center lines are approx. 1 1/2" different in the for aft location when comparing the two.

Nate

Phone: 480-297-2621

E-mail: sales@pbfab.com

Find us on FaceBook under Porterbuilt Fabrication

Specializing in Chassis and Suspension Components for your Classic Chevrolet Truck.

We offer components from the following manufacturers:

Porterbuilt
Accuair
Ridetech (Air Ride Technologies)
Air Lift
Wilwood
Intro
Unisteer
ECE
Gotta Show
Air Lift
Borgeson
CPP

Supporting this forum since 2003!
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #8
David121582

Yeah I have set up everything so far according to the instructions for the stepside model. I will see if I can find one of those side angle drills and drill them out. Thanks for all the help guys. Hopefully I will have this thing all finished up today and have it ready for tranny work and driveshaft work soon. Thanks again.