The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-12-2006, 05:10 PM   #276
extd56

Re: Project Penicillin~ 68 crewcab build up!

[QUOTE=Rokcrln]Fire wall 101

This is one of the easiest ways to smooth your fire wall for in cab AC. EXTD56 will need to tell us what brand it is. They give you a plate that is designed to mount on the fire wall to cover up all the holes and provide mounting for the heater/cool box. All I did was took that plate and recessed it into the fire wall for a cleaner look.

I got the a/c plates from old air, I think they were about 25.00 which they will deduct from the kit price when you buy the unit from them. It usually comes in the a/c kit and is a bolt in deal unless you have a good welder like Kevin to make it look even better.
extd56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:08 PM   #277
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72
rokcrln,
man you have some really good skills!! it is going to be awsome to see your final work. i am assuming that when all said & done this will look similar to the cover truck in classic trucks the gold & white one from pro designs. i can't wait t osee some more pics. i do have a question or two for you though. they are to get your opinion on how to do something. i am trying to "cut" about a 1/2" from the top & bottom of the x-member that used to hold the carrier bearing on my '72 chevy 1/2 ton 2wd p/u. i am wondering if you could tell me a good tool to use (i don't have a plasma cutter or any of those fancy tools alike) i was thinking maybe a airsaw with a steel blade??? i am running a 1 pc. driveshaft & woould like a little more clearancearound there. the truck is lowered 5" rear & 4.5" fr.it is a small area & not sure what would fit around there... thanks for any input!!!!!
Hard to say but if it out of the truck I would say drop by a muffler shop and have them slice some of it out. But since it is probly in the truck and with out the easy tools I would try a 4" cut off wheel and a grinder and just take your time and be safe doing it (welding gloves and a long sleve jacket, glasses and hearing protection). Draw the line you want to cut and take the grinder and all you want to do is scratch the metal on your first pass and then each pass after that just go a little deeper. It is the easy but it can be done. Then after you are done use a die grinder to clean it up or a rat tail file. Good luck!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Rokcrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 09:41 PM   #278
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

rokcrln,
thanks for the input i do have a 4.5" grinder i used to cut the rivets for the carrier bearing. as i was looking (laying) under the truck i thought that a smaller grinder would work but i also thought that my 4.5" grinder wouldn't make that turn at the top of the x-mbr. i guess i can see the fit a little more & if need be i can buy a cheap 4" grinder from harbor freight tools to get it done quick. thanks for the safety tips i agree i always wear that stuff when grinding... uuhhh playing in the garage!!!
thanks again!! ___ rodstored-72
rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 10:11 PM   #279
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodstored-72
rokcrln,
thanks for the input i do have a 4.5" grinder i used to cut the rivets for the carrier bearing. as i was looking (laying) under the truck i thought that a smaller grinder would work but i also thought that my 4.5" grinder wouldn't make that turn at the top of the x-mbr. i guess i can see the fit a little more & if need be i can buy a cheap 4" grinder from harbor freight tools to get it done quick. thanks for the safety tips i agree i always wear that stuff when grinding... uuhhh playing in the garage!!!
thanks again!! ___ rodstored-72
No problem but if you are going to by a cheapy tool make it a small right angle air grinder/cut off and some 3" cut off wheels. It might fit better but the 4 1/2" should do it if you hold it straite at the cross member and use the very front for the cutting and not the normaly used side cutting method.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 06-12-2006, 10:14 PM   #280
Rokcrln

Well the cab work is done for now and ready to set up the seat mounts this week and then it is off to blasting and sealing

I cut in the rear Cargo Light tonight so that part is finished up so thier is one more box to check off the list!

Kevin
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2006, 11:14 PM   #281
matthufham

why'd you add a cargo light? it was nice and smooth without it.
matthufham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 08:21 PM   #282
Rokcrln

I wonder why this got moved? It seamed to cover just about every area of repair that you could do to our year cabs!

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Last edited by Rokcrln; 06-18-2006 at 11:54 AM.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:30 PM   #283
PBFAB.COM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrln
I wonder why this got moved? It seamed to cover just about every area of repair that you could do to out year cabs!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
I was thinking the same thing????
PBFAB.COM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 08:57 AM   #284
Chevy Muscle
< 69 Blazer

Quote:
I wonder why this got moved? It seamed to cover just about every area of repair that you could do to out year cabs!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
As they say, "no good deed goes unpunished" .... thanks for posting all the pictures in this thread, that is what made this a great thread... but it also may have lead to the move.

I vote it should be back in the 67-72 message board.
Chevy Muscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 10:17 PM   #285
chickenwing
Lovin' Life in Miss.!

I'm not generally not prone to whining but this thread obviously has great value to darn near all of us. I too think it should be in the 67-72 forum, barring that maybe paint and body?
Old 06-17-2006, 11:28 PM   #286
chevyboy55

Quote:

Kevin
LFD Inc.
I agree!
chevyboy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 02:50 PM   #287
Liz
Catchy title goes here..

My Lord ya'll it was a mistake... most peoples buildups are in this section, which is why I moved it here.
Next time, instead of going on about it in the post... PM one of us and ask.
I apologize for the oversight, silly human thing about not being perfect ..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Muscle
As they say, "no good deed goes unpunished" .... thanks for posting all the pictures in this thread, that is what made this a great thread... but it also may have lead to the move.

I vote it should be back in the 67-72 message board.
I truely hope you don't believe that the mods and admins here are out to get people.
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 06:14 PM   #288
Rokcrln

Hey all just so everyone know Liz sent me a very nice PM explaining why it was move. Like she said above it is where alot of builds are done and she thought it would get alot of exposure here, that is all!

But you all like me go to one place for your daily drugs and when our dealer is not on the same street corner we panic. Liz said she will move it back and she would like to see it end up in FAQ and so would I once the build is finished.

Thanks for listening and following this thread. I have several more builds starting up and I will figure out the best place to post them all. Speaking for my sefl I am not very good at navigating on this site because they do offer so much on one site that I get frustrated but at the same time it forces me to see areas I never knew were their.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:02 PM   #289
Captkaos
www.73-87chevytrucks.com

For me, I like that it was moved. It was hard finding it in the other forum since all the other builds were being done here. It doesn't matter where it is, I just like following your work. It is inspiring to me and keeps me motivated...
1987 R10 twin turbo LS
1991 R3500 SRW CrewCab
1985 K5 diesel swapped project
1989 K5 2WD conversion w/ Vette susp Project
Captkaos Customs
73-87chevytrucks.com
Captkaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:08 PM   #290
Rokcrln

Sit down in your chair right their and let me tell you how it's done! (C.D. devil went down to Georgia)

Started the seat install by first doing layout and placement for the fronts. Also to make sure things are plenty strong enough for the intergrated seat belts I placed the mounting points in the stock locations. What this will do is allow me to double up th emetal under the floor and also tie that metal into the cab floor support. For the best height it ment having to notch out the rear seat rails. I did this just by slicing the floor open an inch on each side of the slider and reworked the floor brace to allow the section to be flattened out. I welded each layer back together before moving to the next piece. This keeps everything as strong as posible. The front of the seat will mount in the stock small hump that the factory seat bolted into and once I double up the metal under the floor with break shape it will be just fine. Here is were it is tonight and I hope to have the fronts done in a day or so then get to the back seat.

The rear will require alot more fab work both for the floor mounts as well as the seat mounts to get them all level and at the desired height. Also their are two mounting plates that will weld into the rear of the cab to support the back of the seat.

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 06-21-2006 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-21-2006, 12:47 AM   #291
cstanley

that's gonna be so awesome!

'72 Blazer Restoration Blog: http://sportchicken.blogspot.com/
cstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:13 PM   #292
1974gmc
In Progress

nice buildup! you can do some amazing work.
1974gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 06:31 AM   #293
mike nutt
69fatmotor

kevin, your awesome dude.
mike nutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:51 PM   #294
Rokcrln

Here are the front seat brackets. I used 2 x 1/8" flat bar and tig'd on some square nuts to make it a bit easier for the owner to remove and install by him self. The two rear brackets weld in front to the factory seam the th estock seat bolted thru and then the reat outer bracket welds to the side of the cab mount support. The inner rear steps up and over the rear cab support brace and welds to the bottom of it as well. All in all I feel this will be a very safe set up for these seats that have the belts all in one.

The next cab (project Lemon Drop) in the shop will be getting the same treatment so when I get to that stage I will do a "how to" for the board and since it is on a Tip & Flip cab dolly it will make for great phot's to follow along as you do your own.

Kevin
LFD Inc
Attached Images

Last edited by Rokcrln; 06-25-2006 at 03:49 AM.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:50 AM   #295
Rokcrln

Thanks for moving it back!

Kevin
LFD Inc.
Old 06-25-2006, 10:10 AM   #296
hoser
Account Suspended

Nice work!

Can someone copy this thread and removed all the replies but Rokcrln and his pics, clean it up a little and remove all the post like mine heh this sucker needs ot be archived.
hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 03:34 PM   #297
jugernot
Life, Be In It.....

When is it my turn????????????????
Just kidding Kevin, you can't rush an artist.

Nice work.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=200082
jugernot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 04:04 PM   #298
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by jugernot
When is it my turn????????????????
Just kidding Kevin, you can't rush an artist.

Nice work.

It is comming real soon! I can't wait to get started. I just spent $2400 (thanks extd56 ) on more shop tools. Thanks for being under standing. Your build will be my best fab work to date

Kevin
LFD Inc
Old 06-25-2006, 04:51 PM   #299
chevyboy55

Quote:
It is comming real soon! I can't wait to get started. I just spent $2400 (thanks extd56 ) on more shop tools. Thanks for being under standing. Your build will be my best fab work to date

Kevin
LFD Inc
Best yet?? I personally can't wait!!!
chevyboy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2006, 06:07 PM   #300
Rokcrln

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyboy55
Best yet?? I personally can't wait!!!
Untill my Personal 70 2wd blazer starts

Kevin
LFD Inc.