The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-22-2018, 08:41 PM   #10
6t9camaro

Re: 67 C10 "Green Gobblin" straight from the field!

When I got the motor back home I noticed a lot of back and forth play on the balancer. I figured id better swap out the timing chain while it was on the stand. Good thing I took the front cover off because I noticed somebody put in one of the cheapest timing sets ever and the plastic cam gear and chain were shot! The backside of the cam gears thrust surface was also ground right down and the cam was walking back and forth at least .200 and was even hitting the timing chain cover. So after seeing all that I had to pull the intake off to inspect the cam and distributor gear. Now I get to see that a few of the cam lobes were wiped out and it wouldn't have lasted much longer! Hmmm so thats a pretty good excuse to tear down and choose a nice cam and maybe go through and replace or inspect all the bearings. Heres a few pics of how far I got today! In the pics you can see how far off center the lifter on the lobe is ( it's actually hitting the lobe beside it) and in the last pic you can see the lobe damage.
Attached Images

6t9camaro is offline   Reply With Quote