The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2019, 07:53 PM   #26
Wikid61
Post Whore

Re: Swap meet poachers

Step up & do likewise. They want it more.
Wikid61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:08 PM   #27
Coley

Smile Re: Swap meet poachers

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBNORML View Post
Look at it this way.

You drive 4 hours to highly publicized auction. You get there nice and early before it starts. Only to find out that the auction staff had bought up all the good vehicles before you had even left the house. I’m sure you’d be “whining”
That reminds me of the real estate business around here....or perhaps its common throughout Canada, not sure about the U.S

Wherein, every week here new homes come on the market and get prepared for the MLS (multiple listing services) system.
In that, they are known, priced, determined and available to all the realtors on tuesday morning to look at or assess, prep for etc.
They don't come available to the public until late thursday.

As a result, at least around here.....all the best bargain, cheapest houses get bought up early 'offline' by....guess who?.....the realtors, who in my opinion are today's BBF's (business bottom feeders).
This allows them to flip the houses if they want or hand them down to their kids, etc....I've heard about both of these events happening a lot, at the expense to the real customers and public.
I've never met a realtor who hasn't failed at least one or two other jobs before taking up the trade....and the heavy duty 3 week training course, lol.

...so very similar I guess in terms of some impressions or examples of exploiting something.

All good
Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:26 PM   #28
leddzepp

Same thing happens at Brothers Trucks parking lot sale. It is advertised as opening at 7am. Dudes got there at 5am, get let in, buy up all the deals and everyone else is left hanging. The last time it happened there were nearly blows thrown and people left disgusted. I really didn’t care since I live 10 mins from them...but there were cats who drove 6 hours one way

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 08:31 PM   #29
leddzepp

Screw everyone else, it’s all about ME! Gimmee gimmee gimmee, mine mine mine! Like rats to cheese. Hey, it’s human nature so there’s nothing wrong with it

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:11 PM   #30
Coley

Quote:
Originally Posted by leddzepp View Post
Screw everyone else, it’s all about ME! Gimmee gimmee gimmee, mine mine mine! Like rats to cheese. Hey, it’s human nature so there’s nothing wrong with it
Yep, there is some sort of fine line in here somewhere....between free enterprise which is a very great thing....and situational exploitation, not so good.
I'm into equality of opportunity which means...everyone gets the same shot and chance at success, etc.
Those who jump the queue to better their circumstance are definitely on the flimsy side of character I guess.

That said, I still enjoy swap meets and when I go...I'm still finding good deals, go figure?...BUT....you definitely have to do the footwork and be quick on the draw when you find stuff...and then hopefully a good deal maker, lol

Coley
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 01-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #31
The Rocknrod

Quote:
Look at it this way.

You drive 4 hours to highly publicized auction. You get there nice and early before it starts. Only to find out that the auction staff had bought up all the good vehicles before you had even left the house. I’m sure you’d be “whining”
I've been to Pomona, Long Beach, San Diego, Pate in Dallas etc. I go to find what "I" need. Not to whine about what someone else found, bought, used etc. Half the fun is looking and finding. I go online as well. Parts are out there. If this isn't fun find another hobby because that's what this is.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:14 PM   #32
YBNORML

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
I've been to Pomona, Long Beach, San Diego, Pate in Dallas etc. I go to find what "I" need. Not to whine about what someone else found, bought, used etc. Half the fun is looking and finding. I go online as well. Parts are out there. If this isn't fun find another hobby because that's what this is.
Did you read what I wrote? Or just decide to berate me?

I was just referring to a trend I see that ruins the swaps for those who don’t enter as a vendor.

What I don’t need is you telling me what to do.

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67

Last edited by YBNORML; 01-14-2019 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Spelling
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:23 PM   #33
The Rocknrod

Quote:
...What I don’t need is you telling me what to do.
Yes you do.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:29 PM   #34
Coley

Smile Re: Swap meet poachers

...so just what are some of these crazy asking prices?

any examples of what people have run into at these swap meets?

...what parts?

....hopefully 'the possum' isn't on this forum, lol.
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Old 01-14-2019, 10:29 PM   #35
Wikid61
Post Whore

Hobby? With the aftermarket for these trucks. The adaptation of these modern 'Ls' drivetrains. There is a lot of money being generated. I drive rusty square body junk year 'round because it is not computer/injection/GPS. Lifestyle. Never trend.
Wikid61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 11:31 PM   #36
davischevy

The high prices I paid at Springfield, MO this year.

1969 dated big block manifolds, $35.00

Tach dash with new bezel in bag, $150.00

Box containing NOS, 72 truck window fuzzies and door weather strip, both doors, $75.00.

I guess the Hawkers were in too big a hurry when they passed these booths. I did see a buddy bucket seat in fair condition for sale by a Hawker for $1,300. I suspected he had owned it less than 24 hours judging from his other goods. Simple, I walked away.

I saw some real decent 71-2 bucket seats at Decatur, TX last year for $500. That would have been a hell of deal for a Hawker.

I don't really have an opinion on the OP, But in my experience, greed will come back and bite you in the butt.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #37
special-K
Special Order

I go around the evening of set-up day once I'm all set to chit chat with other vendors and see what I might find that isn't covered up or the vendors are hanging out. It has always been the right of vendors to have this opportunity. We pay 10x or more to be there for this right. The same thing happens back home in the weeks prior to a swap. If a guy tells me a price so low it gives me wiggle room I pay his price. If it leaves a small margin but I still want it I ask "Is that the best you can do?". It's his part to sell and I let him set the price. That's my etiquette. I also get guys who tell me flat out no sales till tomorrow. I also walk around during the meet when I get a chance, usually when I have to go pee. Last spring I found a chrome 69-72 Chevy hubcap on a spot with tables full of junky stuff on the taqbles and under on the ground. The hubcap looked like it had been in the attic of his shop for 30 years, so much dust I couldn't tell if it was chrome. I had to break away and trek to his spot, giving up precious time for my own sales, three or four times before I finally caught him there. He wanted $5 and somehow no one, early bird or Johnny come lately, had noticed it or they only get attracted to shiny stuff. Wiped it down with a wetted rag back at my spot and it was mint! I made $45 off that cap the same day, but with time lost at my own spot I figure it cost me more than $5. Could have asked more, right? I also had a set of cherry K/10 Spicer hubs disappear from my tables, possibly while I was trying to buy that cap. So maybe I lost money on that cap. There's the good and bad for everyone.

You can't find this stuff everywhere so swap meets is one of the places I use to find the parts so I can continue to enjoy vending and helping others complete their projects.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #38
Willie Makeit

Quote:
This is getting off track of my
Original intention.

I’m taking about the guys who buy absolutely everything for a particular vehicle before the place even opens. And then corner the market for that particular meet. If a guy spends all his free
Time tracking down and buying parts to flip, and then brings those items to the swap then good for him.

I also don’t care what people do when the place is open to the general public.

All I’m talking about is a vendor using the setup time to buy up everything.

It makes it pointless for a regular guy even going. That’s my point.

This has nothing to do with being against capitalism or anything stupid like that. It’s cutting to the front of the line. Period.
nothing stopping you from paying the same booth fee the other vendors are paying then you can buy a day early too.
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 11:29 PM   #39
1970 CST Short Wide
Senior Moment

Quote:
I know that alot of members on here have attended swapmeets as vendors. So we all know that there is a significant amount of sales that take place between vendors before the swap even opens up.

To me this is normal. What I have been seeing a lot of is guys buying up all the good stuff during setup and then charging a premium to the general public the next day. I understand that everyone wants to make a buck but it's getting ridiculous.

Last year I travelled an extremely long distance to go to a well known and very popular swap meet and although I had an awesome time there was next to no c10 parts to be found except for one vendor. Turns out he does what I mentioned above and guys up everything for resale. Kinda sucked. Definitely left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. I get thats its a free country and all that, but it was basically a waste of time at least as far as used parts went.
I can remember waaaay back when you could go to a wrecking yard and get just about anything you needed for a 67-72 for a good price. I wish I would’ve had the insight to buy them all up. If you see one in a yard now it’s picked clean.
2019 GMC Diesil Dually. Youngest Son
2017 Toyota SUV Daughters car
2018 Traverse , Wife’s Ride
Pittsburg Ca
1970 CST Short Wide is online now   Reply With Quote