The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
geoff.clark
SheetMetalNoob

Really Torn - Need some guidance

I couple years ago I bought a suburban to rebuild with my son. It was his idea for the Suburban. I would have never bought the suburban on my own choosing. I think they are awesome, but I am more of a pickup / jeep man myself. Well my son has lost all interest in working on the burb or any vehicle. At 14 he is more interested in girls and music than hanging out with his old man. I have been holding on to this project hoping he would come around, but it has been about 2 years since he lost interest and no end in sight.

I pulled the engine to use in my 83 C10 and I was able to donate the transmission to the local tech school. I feel I have gotten everything I would want out of this burb. I have all the sheet metal to start the rust repair for the front driver side. So this starts my delima, do I repair burb and sell it or do I just sell as is.

83 Chevy Custom Deluxe I6 250 lwb (aka) Trash Runner
geoff.clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #2
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Re: Really Torn - Need some guidance

Dang Geoff...I hate to hear that, but if you are done with it, then just sell it....You will not be motivated to complete it...sell it as is, but know you may lose money

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Ive found that giving your sons a cool ride only works if they are really really into cars and trucks.

When I was a kid I was crazy about them and it just never seemed to go away. My kids dig cars and trucks, but they arent so crazy about them they want to do the work to make em go. If I did the work for them that would be fine lol.

I have given them a 72 Burb, 71 K10, 50 Ford club coupe and a 58 Ford wagon. All are gone now except the wagon and that is mine again.

Ive tried many times to figure out a way to get them into this stuff, but if its not them its not them.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:42 PM   #4
geoff.clark
SheetMetalNoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Ive tried many times to figure out a way to get them into this stuff, but if its not them its not them.
I totally agree. This all started when I was out on the hunt for a new project and he wanted to get involved. So I let him and choose and he selected a suburban. Which I thought was awesome - cool father son project.

But somewhere along the road he decided to change his mind and feels girls are much cooler than getting greasy. Kids these days .

So my current plans or to rebuild the 350 for the 83 and do something with the burb. It is completly stripped, just frame and body. It needs a lot of work, so wondering if it is worth to sell at scrap price and if no takers then maybe just scrap it.

All my money this Winter is tied up in a new shed, bathroom remodel, engine rebuild and finding a new riding mower.

It just sucks he is not interested in this hobby. I have been trying to figure this one out for a while now.

83 Chevy Custom Deluxe I6 250 lwb (aka) Trash Runner
geoff.clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 05:07 PM   #5
TexasT

Might need to just move the truck along if he lost interest and it seems you have too. He is 14, of course video games, girls and such are more important than cars. He cant get a license until what seems like forever to him. My kids get all excited to go riding but when it comes to the knuckle bustin, they are out too.

GLWS
Old 11-27-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
71swb4x4

It takes a ton of time and money to put something "back together". I am betting you have a few things that would benefit a lot more from your time. You may lose a little now, but I bet you will lose that much (or more!) when it's back together and you do eventually sell it.