The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-15-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Project: Mistress

Well

I finally scanned in my pictures from my original truck prior to resto....
First a little intro....I bought this truck in High Point, NC from a guy in July 2004....I now know I paid WAY to much for what I got, but this was only the first of many lessons I have learned on this restore project!!!!.....Also, did not join this board till I was 3/4 of the way done.....Yet another lesson learn....My original plans were to have this truck as a daily driver since I only had a 15 mile round trip commute to work at the time....but I got laid off, found a new job an hour away and moved....thus my brother inspired me to do a frame off and get her back looking good!!! (he just finished his frame off '72 454 corvette).....My brother owns a landscape company and had a little room in the back of his shop for us to start this resto.....so here are the pictures of when we rolled her into the shop....her final resting place for the next 2 years and counting (these pics are from June 2006)....
Attached Images

1972 Custom Deluxe C20 Suburban A Suburban Named Isabella

1966 Ford Mustang Mama's High School Graduation Present
gcburdic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #2
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Re: Project: Mistress

I forgot to mention in my first post that I really just wanted a newer truck to have for projects around the house, but again my bro said i should get an older truck and fix it up....he said "they'll hold their value much better than these newer pieces of junk!"....And lucky for me Dad and bro are hardcore Chevy fans.....
Okay...on with the story....So once we got her rolled into the shop...disassembly began.....It was pretty cool, since I have never EVER worked on a vehicle to this point (thus my nickname 'Restoration Virgin'), but with my brother and dad both car freaks....I thought this would be a great bonding project for us all....and I must say....It really has been....
I put ever nut, bolt, piece, piece of a piece, etc in ziplock bags (should've bought stock with them), labeled, and kept in a box for later use (yet another one of those lessons learned from my bro and dad)....I began learning SOOOO much about how these truck went together, and come apart quite easily I must say....pretty much all original stuff except the tailgate (it was bent/ bowed pretty good, and of course that cool wooden dash/ radio/ glove box area)....
The frame seemed to be in okay shape, except for in the last picture you can see where someone (maybe PO) hacked the frame horns off to put the roll pan in the front....Cab floor had some patched areas, but could see to much rust at this point....the core support was rusted in the usual spot under the battery tray and of course the PS fender...so here's some more pics of disassembly....
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Okay....on with more disassembly....we took the cab off next (8 guys, pizza and beer did the trick...they all work for my bro)...that thing was super heavy!!!
Stipped the frame down so we could get it over to the sandblaster.....Don't know if you can tell, but the PO used the ol' vintage technique of lowering the front and rear by heating the coils.......and yep those are original drums in the front and rear that needed some attention.....
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #4
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Okay...I guess you may be wondering why I call it the 'Mistress'....so at this point I met my further wife (got married Nov. 2005).....And of course you know like I do women require some of our attention too....Well it seemed I gave this project truck a little more at times so she dub it my "Mistress"...and of course the name stuck.....
Now....got the frame to the sandblasters for some work, and in the mean time we stripped the motor down to the block (we felt that the way it had run prior to disassembly, that it was in pretty good shape) so we cleaned up the block, gave it some new gaskets, fuel pump, harmonic balancer, and paint along with some other various small tweaks....
The last couple pics show my bro painting the frame....used a couple coats of Eastwood's chassis black....( frame came primed w/ rust inhabitor from the blasters)....
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

From my previous post, the suspension definitely needed some attention....so I made my first large purchase (whew).....I ordered the 'Grand Slam' from CPP...2.5" drop spindles in the front/ 4" drop coils in the back, rebuild kit for the rear drums, and upgraded the front to 6-lug disk brake setup, new shocks front/ back, new MC and prop valve, and new tie rods, bushings etc...
Took the driveshaft to the DL shop for new bushings, center collar, etc...and took the TH400 tranny to the shop for a rebuild and 2500 stall upgrade....changed out the trailing arm bushing to polyurathane, and added new bushings in the front A-arms....also added brand new stainless steel brake lines....I also began to realize what a wonderful thing it is to have all the right tools in one area while doing this (thanks bro and dad)....AND the blaster box and wire wheel is your BEST friend of all!!!!
Okay....This thing is really moving along for me at this point, BUT the next decision I had to make was to put the cab and bed back on and strat driving her and do body later, or look into paint and body work now.....A REAL HARD LESSON WAS LEARNED HERE!!!!....I'll give more about this next time....
Attached Images

Old 07-15-2008, 04:52 PM   #6
jb4short
Damn Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcburdic View Post
Okay...I guess you may be wondering why I call it the 'Mistress'....so at this point I met my further wife (got married Nov. 2005).....And of course you know like I do women require some of our attention too....Well it seemed I gave this project truck a little more at times so she dub it my "Mistress"...and of course the name stuck.....
Now....got the frame to the sandblasters for some work, and in the mean time we stripped the motor down to the block (we felt that the way it had run prior to disassembly, that it was in pretty good shape) so we cleaned up the block, gave it some new gaskets, fuel pump, harmonic balancer, and paint along with some other various small tweaks....
The last couple pics show my bro painting the frame....used a couple coats of Eastwood's chassis black....( frame came primed w/ rust inhabitor from the blasters)....
Great start! Trust me though....no one that's built one had any doubt about why you named it mistress. Neither did the wife of any member that's built one.
jb4short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:54 PM   #7
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Well well well.... it's about time! The truck looks great and looks like it's coming right along.

Keep up the good work, as I can't wait to see where this ends up.

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:07 PM   #8
68 short step

keep up the good work and keep the pics comeing...
68 short step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 08:35 AM   #9
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Thanks for the compliments guys!!!.....

I found a couple more pics of the finished disc setup and me and dad working on the rear drums....Love how it looks like the engine is watching over us while we work!!!
Oh....another lesson learned is the "Might as well" Rule.....My bro kept saying that since we have it apart we 'might as well' replace/ repair it so you won't have to later.....talk about a PITA, but it's well worth it.....chasing down new bolts, parts, etc was cool, but took alot of extra time I didn't expect.....but luckily I am patient (but it sure is wearing thin at times!!!)
Attached Images

Last edited by gcburdic; 07-22-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:53 AM   #10
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

After negotiations with the wife, I decide to pursue getting the body and paint done....I talked to a guy who said he could do it but not for 4 months....argh...I wanted to get it done sooner....so a friend of a friend (you probably know where this is going) came to look at it and price out replacing rockers, cab corners, floor supports and floor pans, repair doors, front fender repair, and other misc areas....$1200 plus $400 to sandblast....WOW...i am thinking good deal.....well, (LESSON #425) this guy was a joke, I paid him part of the money up front so he could start buying parts and primer, and after we got it back from the blaster it sat for 8 YES 8 months with NOTHING being done!!!....I ended up going to small claims court to get the truck back, but learned my lesson here (cheaper isn't always the best route!!!).....Luckily my bro knew a guy right down the street from the shop who did high end body and paint, but would cut me a deal b/c I wasn't looking for a show quality job......so here's ALOT of pics from when I reclaimed ol' Mistress from the 'jackass' (note the sign over the door of his garage 1st pic)...
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2008, 08:56 AM   #11
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

more pics of reclaiming parts from 'jackass'...notice the lack of primer used on the blaster cab...all the brown spots are where someone's greasey little palms touched the cab...argh...Forgot to mention that when I went to pick up these items, I took my dad, and a couple friends just in case he wanted to get a little mouthy!!!!....I had to ask my dad not to beat the #$% out of him while we were there....and thank goodness he listened to me.....Dad was was talking to him through his teeth at points!!!!.....
Attached Images

Last edited by gcburdic; 07-16-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:57 AM   #12
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

and more
Attached Images

Old 07-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #13
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

still more....and no I did not shoot these fenders with a shot gun....good ol' southern rust did this!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by gcburdic; 07-16-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:00 AM   #14
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

about done!!!...at some point someone had put an antenna out the roof, thus the hole....and yes the 'jackass' cracked the windshield.....Dad's still fumed!!!haha
Attached Images

Last edited by gcburdic; 07-16-2008 at 09:07 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:13 AM   #15
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

From this point, we took the parts back to the shop and basically pieced it back together at the request of my bro's friend who would be doing the body work CORRECTLY....Unfortunately, not a lot of pics from this....since I live an hour away from the shop, and my bro and dad couldn't get over to take a lot of pics (they have a business to run), I really didn't get to track progress....I DO know that we took it to the body shop in October 2007, and he gauranteed it would be done by December 2007....and kept his word!!!.....Basically, they repaired the cups on both front fenders, fitted new doors, got a new cowl hood, and a complete new bed (sold the old one to 67chevyredneck....Thanks Jesse)....he also welded new frame horns on and repaired one of the body mount pads.....I also decided on the color....a sunburst orange metallic (same color as they are painting the Chevy HHR's, Avalanches, etc)...here are some pics from primer to paint....Boy, she is really starting to convert to a good lookin' Mistress....
Attached Images

Old 07-17-2008, 08:42 AM   #16
ChevyDude

Color looks NICE!!! Glad you reclaimed your truck back from the idiot! Good luck with the rest of the build!

1971 Lil' Red 350 SBC 700R4
ChevyDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:02 AM   #17
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

From here, the body shop started working on my original bed....it wasn't worth fixin' (cause i didn't have enough $$$$ to fix it) so i went with a reprop bed....the complete bed cost me $2,660 delivered....it was a great deal....so here's some pics of the old bed and the new bed after paint...
Attached Images

Old 07-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #18
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

and here's a couple more from the side as well as the wheel well detail...It's really starting to take the shape of a truck again....now I need to get to wiring and the other detail work (10% of the work left but it's taking 90% of my time!!!)....
Attached Images

Last edited by gcburdic; 07-22-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:16 PM   #19
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

That is looking really nice

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:51 PM   #20
Riveted1
Tasty Cakes!

Lookin good man! I wish I had as much room as you do to work on my ride!

----------------
'66 Chevy SWB "Penny"
'67 Chevy Big Window SWB- aka "Pearl"
'72 Burb- "Betty" "It's not a hearse dammit"
'99 Chevy Ext. cab Silverado
Riveted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:24 PM   #21
SactoJim

Quite a contrast from the first pics when you started......looks great!
- 4 wheel discs
- relocated fuel tank
-

My Build Thread
SactoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #22
Painter D

Nicely done!
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:56 PM   #23
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riveted1 View Post
Lookin good man! I wish I had as much room as you do to work on my ride!
I wish I did too....BUT luckily I am able to do this at my brother's shop....the only thing that stinks is I have to drive an hour to get to it!!!!....I wish she was home already, but I only have a couple more weeks till then.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoJim View Post
Quite a contrast from the first pics when you started......looks great!
SactoJim....It definitely is a huge change in contrast....when it was blue it reminded me of a bass boat...PO shot metal flakes in the clear coat!!!

Thanks everyone for looking and compliments!!!

Old 07-23-2008, 04:11 PM   #24
gcburdic
Restoration Virgin!

....I wish I could find where we had the engine mounted on the frame prior to putting the cab back on, but I just cannot find those pics....SO here are some pictures of the engine bay...I guess i need to knock a little dust off that radiator!!!....BTW...nothing special under that plastic bag either....just a little ol' holley 4 barrel carb....also bought that booster/MC from Sammy.....Thanks Sammy!!!
I have laid down some heat shielding...not done with this yet...and I guess I need to get that fuel tank neck grommet on too...I know it'll be a PITA!!!.....but tape looks cool, right?!?!!?....OHHHH....look at that original blue paint on the firewall....that stuff's 40 years old....hahaha...Actually...I'm a little embarrassed to say that I didn't take everything off the firewall before paint (remember I'm a Resto virgin)....so I'll paint it before covering.....hey...no making fun!!!!....

Also included a driver side shot....got the vent windows installed after replacing the seals...what a PITA #&#^&!!!!.....I still need to get the windshield and back glass in (Got it ordered to be installed this Friday)..OH....REMINDER to self....self, get bigger wheels and tires...anyone interested in 'vintage' blades!!!
Attached Images

Old 07-23-2008, 05:52 PM   #25
kyull67

Looks good! I really like the color.
kyull67 is offline   Reply With Quote