The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
MrMilks

I wanna level and drop my truck, HELP please

I just want to level it out and do a drop that I can still fit 20's with no clearance issues. I have been told I could just buy some shackles for the rear from auto zone that will cost me 40$ and I can get 2 inches out of them. Is that enough to even level it out? I have I have also heard I could just remove the bottom leaf out of the rear and that will give some drop. Just let me know what the best way is of going about this for the front and rear. Thanks.
Attached Images

MrMilks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
J Knight

Re: I wanna level and drop my truck, HELP please

2in drop shackles is all you need to level your truck. Removing leafs isnt always 2in, it depends on wich leaf you remove and how many leafs are in your pack. 2in drop shackles will be your best bet. You should be able to do a 3/5in drop with no issues on 20s while leveling it at the same time.
Old 06-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
MrMilks

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Knight View Post
2in drop shackles is all you need to level your truck. Removing leafs isnt always 2in, it depends on wich leaf you remove and how many leafs are in your pack. 2in drop shackles will be your best bet. You should be able to do a 3/5in drop with no issues on 20s while leveling it at the same time.
Thanks man. What do you think could be the best way to get a 2/4? I don't want to go too low. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #4
J Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMilks View Post
Thanks man. What do you think could be the best way to get a 2/4? I don't want to go too low. Thanks for the help!
For the front you can get a 2.5in drop spindle($225-$275), or a 2in drop spring($100), or cut one round off the stock spring(free).

For the rear you can get 4in drop shackles and hangers($150) or 2in drop shackles and move your hangers up on the frame 4in($50).

Any one of these will do fine it just depends on your budget and skill level.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
MrMilks

Thanks so much man. I have the ability to do that stuff, and the tools. I just had no idea where to begin. My budget is kind of a joke compared to a lot of the people on here. I'm 16 and make minimum wage car hopping at a Sonic drive in. I plan to make the regular car club guys jealous when they see my truck in the parking lot once its all done.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Welcome to the forum MrMilks. Since your on a low buck budget, let me offer some advice. If you don't mind some labor you can lower the truck 2/4 for the cost of a few bolts a new shackle set, and a days worth of sweat equity.

Up front you can cut one coil off of the spring and it will give you around 2" of drop. Note that I said "cut" the coil, not heat it. This is a proven method that will firm the ride with out making it too hash.

In the rear, you can remove the the stock shackle and replace it with a lowering set. To gain 2" more (almost) you can remove the front spring hanger and move it up on the frame. This will require some trimming of the stock hanger and drilling new holes, but its a cheap way to get lower.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:05 AM   #7
walka

I just did mine, 2" Shackle and Flip Kit in the Rear, In the Front 2-1/2 Drop Spindles and 1 Coil cut of the Front Springs,

walka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
MrMilks

Thanks for all the advice and tips guys. I'm waiting on my 2 inch shackles to come in as we speak and I will post pictures on the thread once I have the shackles on and the coils cut so you guys can see how she turned out.
Old 06-12-2012, 01:31 PM   #9
MrMilks

Quote:
Originally Posted by walka View Post
I just did mine, 2" Shackle and Flip Kit in the Rear, In the Front 2-1/2 Drop Spindles and 1 Coil cut of the Front Springs,

Hey what size rims and tires are those? I like the way they sit.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:24 PM   #10
cory d

Quote:
Originally Posted by walka View Post

does that not have the wood in the bed. withough the wood in the propper place i will drop the front of the bed down 3/4" or so. maybe its just the angle that makes it look like that
cory d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 06:39 PM   #11
walka

There 20 x 10 and 20 x 8.5 with 35 Profile Tires,,,, and yes I have a Wood Bed
walka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 01:19 PM   #12
slam59

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Knight View Post
For the front you can get a 2.5in drop spindle($225-$275), or a 2in drop spring($100), or cut one round off the stock spring(free).

For the rear you can get 4in drop shackles and hangers($150) or 2in drop shackles and move your hangers up on the frame 4in($50).

Any one of these will do fine it just depends on your budget and skill level.
I am thinking about doing what you say here Knight, front cut 1 coil, and the rear 2 inch drop shackles and move hangers. Is it a pain to move hangers up on frame? What does it involve? How far forward do u move them? I really want the spindles and new lower springs and stuff but money is tight. The ride wont be too rigid correct? I wont be driving it far distances, I only work 15 minutes from house and will mainly drive it to work.
slam59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
J Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by slam59 View Post
I am thinking about doing what you say here Knight, front cut 1 coil, and the rear 2 inch drop shackles and move hangers. Is it a pain to move hangers up on frame? What does it involve? How far forward do u move them? I really want the spindles and new lower springs and stuff but money is tight. The ride wont be too rigid correct? I wont be driving it far distances, I only work 15 minutes from house and will mainly drive it to work.
Cutting one round off the front springs will yield about a 2in drop, it will rest the bumpstop pads on the spring tower. You will need to at least remove the rubber pad but I would recommend cutting off the bumpstop mount because it will occationally hit metal to metal. To installing the 2in drop shackles you will need to cut a notch out of the bed floor brace for it to fit,it is actually 4in longer than stock, when you look up above your stock shackle you will see what I mean. Now for the fun part, you will need to grind all the rivits holding the stock hangers to the frame, be very careful around the gas tank while doing this. Move the hangers up, as in vertical 4in(NOT FORWARD) redrill the frame, reattatch with 3/8 grade 8 bolts, trim the excess hanger above the frame. It is important to mount these hangers on a matching centerline to keep your rear end strait so measure carefully before you drill new holes to mount them.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:00 AM   #14
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by slam59 View Post
Is it a pain to move hangers up on frame?.
The hardest part is getting the old rivets out. If you have access to an air chisel its not bad, but they can be a biotch to get out. The hanger does not move forward, it moves straight up.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:35 PM   #15
Pro Performance

If you don't have access to an air chisel, you can also ground the heads off flat. Then use a punch and hammer to push it out the frame.... this could take a big hammer and some goos swings. But it will work, and that is how I did mine. If you have the means, I would remove the bed, as it will make it a lot easier to work in there when doing the hangers and give you more room. Just have 3 of your buddy's come over to help lift the bed. The more buddies the better.

Btw, clean truck and looks like you have a great start. I like the orange. I think working on cars is a great hobby to be into.... and welcome to the forum!
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #16
Cherub

the fastest way ive found to get off the rivets is Xing the head and then using an airchistle to shear it off. then taking a BFH and knocking off the hanger
Cherub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 01:53 PM   #17
MrMilks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Performance View Post
Btw, clean truck and looks like you have a great start. I like the orange. I think working on cars is a great hobby to be into.... and welcome to the forum!
Thanks man. That is actually the factory paint. I think they call it Omaha Orange. I'm stuck on deciding to do a new color or just getting it resprayed the orange. I get told to keep it orange and to try something new. Guess time will tell.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:26 PM   #18
Pro Performance

I say keep it orange, but I am partial as I am thinking of painting my project 84 C10 orange as well. My first truck was an 85 chevy that I got when I was 15, and ended up driving it through college. That is why I have always liked the square bodies.

Give me a call if you ever have any questions doing the things mentioned above. I would be glad to help you and answer any questions you have along the way.
Pro Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 11:30 AM   #19
MrMilks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Performance View Post
I say keep it orange, but I am partial as I am thinking of painting my project 84 C10 orange as well. My first truck was an 85 chevy that I got when I was 15, and ended up driving it through college. That is why I have always liked the square bodies.

Give me a call if you ever have any questions doing the things mentioned above. I would be glad to help you and answer any questions you have along the way.
Will do, thanks man. And yeah this is my first truck too.
Posted via Mobile Device