The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #551
Indian113

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Looking Good Dan, like they say if you have to eat a elephant do it one bite at a time!
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #552
Dan in Pasadena

Yes and I have to remember the rust has been "eating" my truck for almost 60 years. So I can't undo all that in an afternoon... but I WANT to! Lol.
Posted via Mobile Device
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #553
Indian113

I'm going to do a frame off on the 64 next winter so I may have to lean on some of your experience's. I'm so glad this forum is just like a great big family!
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:32 PM   #554
Dan in Pasadena

You're right, Indian...most of the time. I always say we're "friends that haven't met yet"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #555
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
You're right, Indian...most of the time. I always say we're "friends that haven't met yet"
Posted via Mobile Device
For the most part.lol
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #556
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
For the most part.lol
Bam,

You & I might end up being brothers from differnt mothers cause we already bust each other's ball and have never even met!

But eriously, I look forward to talking to some of you guys almost daily and when one of you says, "Hey, good job" it feels good. (I must be pathetically insecure, ha ha!)
Old 05-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #557
dubie

you know Dan, I took a look back at the beginning of this thread when you picked up your truck and then look at where you're at now with this project. I just wanted to commend you on doing so much in such a short amount of time. It doesn't even look like the same truck.

Forums such as this is what drives people to keep working on their trucks. When I did the build up on my 72 back in the early 2000's, there were people helping me out from around the globe with technically information. There were a bunch of us that met up in Indianapolis for the Super Chevy Nationals back in 2004. We all stayed at the same hotel, ate at the same places, tail gate partied every night, raced go-karts and made a bunch of life long friendships. And it all came from this forum.

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:01 PM   #558
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie View Post
you know Dan, I took a look back at the beginning of this thread when you picked up your truck and then look at where you're at now with this project. I just wanted to commend you on doing so much in such a short amount of time. It doesn't even look like the same truck.
Thanks Dubie. It feels glacially slow to me because when I look back I see the 9-12 months in the middle when I did NOTHING. Not sure why but I got side tracked. Getting the welding work underway along with some plans I've got for the seat belts, dual master cylinder & gas tank relocation this summer have me excited.

Quote:
Forums such as this is what drives people to keep working on their trucks.
You're right in my case. Seeing the progress others are making on much harder builds reminds me I don't have so much to do...relatively speaking.

Quote:
... There were a bunch of us that met up in Indianapolis for the Super Chevy Nationals ....and made a bunch of life long friendships. And it all came from this forum.
That's very cool. I may never meet the East or Midwest guys but someday I look forward to having the chance to meet more California and Southwest guys.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2013, 06:36 PM   #559
Daze57

yo dan if ya ever make it to vegas ---------
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #560
Dan in Pasadena

I did final fitting/welding/grinding on the passenger side speaker holes today:

Not great after having seen some of the work you guys do but I am proud to say I id it myself. I'll get better as I go along, I'm sure of it.

I threw some primer on it just to keep it from flash rusting until I get back to it as it started raining this afternoon.

QUESTION:

Do most of you guys and girls weld all the spots, then grind everything smooth? Or do you put in a few tacks, grind, tack some more, etc?

I ground them all at the end and thought I got too much heat built up. In this case, I could NOT reach behind to hammer & dolly as I went.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #561
Daze57

looks good
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:29 PM   #562
Number 9

Looks great.
Number 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #563
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks you guys, but at best it looks ok. But I appreciate the kind words.

When I do the driver's door I will be even MORE careful with alignment than I already was.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #564
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Bam,

But eriously, I look forward to talking to some of you guys almost daily and when one of you says, "Hey, good job" it feels good. (I must be pathetically insecure, ha ha!)
Dan there is never anything wrong with feeling good, especially about your hard work. By the way the patch is looking great man keep up the good work.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #565
Dan in Pasadena

Bam,
What about WHEN to grind? Seems like its easy to make the metal paper thin (Post #560 above)!

In hindsight, I tacked a moment too long. The lack of gas was effecting the weld, but I didn't know it. I was going through the flap disk too fast, so I switched to the thick grinding wheel. Worked better, but caused bluing - so I stopped immediately. Guess I gotta grind as slow as I tack, huh?
Old 05-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #566
Kim57

The patch came out real nice.
Kim
Old 05-10-2013, 12:27 PM   #567
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Bam,
What about WHEN to grind? Seems like its easy to make the metal paper thin (Post #560 above)!

In hindsight, I tacked a moment too long. The lack of gas was effecting the weld, but I didn't know it. I was going through the flap disk too fast, so I switched to the thick grinding wheel. Worked better, but caused bluing - so I stopped immediately. Guess I gotta grind as slow as I tack, huh?
Dan I tack grind, tack grind, tack grind until the patch is completely welded in. Why? Because I find that this method allows me to keep the panel cool while I continue to work. Another benefit is by grinding between the tacks allows you to see where the other tacks should go once the panel is close to completion. You will not be welding on top of other welds which will also eliminate a lot of pinholes. Oh yes and if you have access to the back of the panel it also allow you to hammer on dolly as you go. Welding causes shrinkage (always) taking your time and keeping the metal cool just a allows you to keep the shrinkage to a minimum. But to truely fix all shrinkage and have to stretch the HAZ (heat affected zone - its the area that changed color during the welding process) by hammering on dolly.

Its all about how far you are willing to go. Some people like myself try to use very little to no filler, I try to get the metal that I have access to the back to only need primer as a filler. When I don't have access to the back I even more delicate when I weld in a panel because I know I will have to live with the shrinkage and use filler, so I try to minimize that shrinkage as much as possible.

I don't know what equipment you have but this is how I grind welds. I use a cut-off wheel on my 3 inch air grinder to know the bead down and then I use my roloc disc on a air grinder to clean it up and blend the patch in.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #568
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks Bam, this is EXACTLY the advice I was looking for all in one place instead of reading bits & pieces in various threads and trying to surmise what's the best (for me) to do.

EQUIPMENT
I have a couple 4" angle grinders - a good Milwaukee one, and a cheapo HF one that has lasted so far. I have cut off disks and thicker grinding type disks. I'm thinking of getting a couple more angle grinders to keep a flap disk and a wire wheel on so I don't have to be changing.

I do have a cheapo air angle grinder with HF Rolocs - but since buying I've read those don't last. Have a recommendation for a good brand Roloc disk?
I also have a 60 gallon vertical compressor but I haven't run 220v to my garage yet - that is coming later this month/June.

In the meantime I have a little Senco compressor I use for tires and nailers, but it can't keep up with the angle grinder.

Thanks again for all your advice so far. Best, Dan

Quote:
Dan I tack grind, tack grind, tack grind until the patch is completely welded in. Why? Because I find that this method allows me to keep the panel cool while I continue to work. Another benefit is by grinding between the tacks allows you to see where the other tacks should go once the panel is close to completion. You will not be welding on top of other welds which will also eliminate a lot of pinholes. Oh yes and if you have access to the back of the panel it also allow you to hammer on dolly as you go. Welding causes shrinkage (always) taking your time and keeping the metal cool just a allows you to keep the shrinkage to a minimum. But to truely fix all shrinkage and have to stretch the HAZ (heat affected zone - its the area that changed color during the welding process) by hammering on dolly.

Its all about how far you are willing to go. Some people like myself try to use very little to no filler, I try to get the metal that I have access to the back to only need primer as a filler. When I don't have access to the back I even more delicate when I weld in a panel because I know I will have to live with the shrinkage and use filler, so I try to minimize that shrinkage as much as possible.

I don't know what equipment you have but this is how I grind welds. I use a cut-off wheel on my 3 inch air grinder to know the bead down and then I use my roloc disc on a air grinder to clean it up and blend the patch in.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:53 PM   #569
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Dan I buy the roloc sanding disc in bulk on ebay. I buy 60 or 80 grit. Now remember I said I knock the bead down with a 3 inch cut off wheel on an air grinder. Please don't try that with your electric grind it could be bad for your health. Do the best you can until you get that compressor hooked up. I have used flap disc on electric grinder but you must be careful as you know it can remove a lot of metal. I've also used a flap disc on a variable speed polisher I liked it because I could slow the speed down.lol
Old 05-10-2013, 05:08 PM   #570
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
...I said I knock the bead down with a 3 inch cut off wheel on an air grinder. Please don't try that with your electric grind it could be bad for your health...
Why does it matter if the disc is powered by air or electricity in terms of my health? Seems the dust would be lousy for my lungs no matter how it got powered.

Unless you're talking about cutting myself? I ALREADY learned that painful lesson right after I got my truck and cut out an 1/8" thick plate the PO had welded into the bed. Cut the CRAP outta my index finger. Took a long time to heal that one.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #571
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Why does it matter if the disc is powered by air or electricity in terms of my health? Seems the dust would be lousy for my lungs no matter how it got powered.

Unless you're talking about cutting myself? I ALREADY learned that painful lesson right after I got my truck and cut out an 1/8" thick plate the PO had welded into the bed. Cut the CRAP outta my index finger. Took a long time to heal that one.
Yes I'm talking about cutting yourself. Those 4 1/2 inch cut-off wheels on electric grinders are thin and will break if youvput pressure on them or cut against the grain. With the rpm's that the grinder is turning and a break man watch out it could mean big trouble.

A long time ago I was cutting and got wanted to help it along and the dang thing exploded in my hand. Well 15 stitches later I learned my lesson. I was just thankful it was my hand and not my eyes.

Last edited by Kabwe; 05-10-2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #572
mknittle

I also use the cutoff wheels on the die grinder in tight spots where the wheel might get stuck and break or kick back. The die grinder will just stop where the electric grinder won't.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:43 PM   #573
Dan in Pasadena

Ok, I see what you guys are talking about. There's a sort of default fail safe with the air die grinder because it will bog down. Having not really used mine yet, I didn't think of that.

On the electric grinder, it seems that the thicker grinding disc would be "safer" in that it won't slice quite as quickly if it inadvertently goes against your glove (or elsewhere/leg) than the thinner, sharper cutting disc. But I'm probably quibbling over milliseconds anyway.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #574
dubie

your build thread has been a bit idle so I thought I'd check in and see how things are going Dan

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #575
Dan in Pasadena

Thanks for noticing.

You're right. I was on a roll and then I got sidetracked prepping for a camping. But I'm back now (again). Still a few post vacation things to do - clean/wash the camper and truck, make some repairs, etc but I should be back on the truck's door panel repairs soon so I can FINALLY!!!! paint the door interiors then get the new door weatherstripping on and stop the terrible rattling.

I rarely drive the '55 for that reason & the lack of a dual master cylinder that has me being a "Nervous Nellie" - the stock single MC only worked fine for 60 years, lol.