The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-29-2020, 10:36 PM   #1
cj847

where does this go?

Thanks for your help, it was loose in my cowl.....

Name:  panel.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  101.4 KB
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:33 PM   #2
FirstOwner69

Re: where does this go?

It's the "fresh air door" used on A/C trucks. The picture below is the best I can do and, unfortunately, it's not visible in the pic. It's under the cowl on the passenger side and is attached under the hood to the vacuum reservoir as shown. Under the cowl there is supposed to be a spring (black at 2:00 position in the pic) to hold it in the open position. One end of the rod attaches to the vacuum reservoir. The other end sticks through a hole (arrow) in the firewall.
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 07-29-2020 at 11:40 PM.
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:12 AM   #3
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Dunno if this drawing will help.... or not. The LMC p/n for the door is 32-0790 if anybody needs one.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:41 AM   #4
cj847

Ahhh...yes it is an AC truck but is missing the vacuum piece (#5 in pic).

I have noticed a few missing pieces besides this one and have already decided to go with a vintage air rather than buying all the missing components.

Thanks for the help!!
Old 07-30-2020, 08:50 AM   #5
Davidf

So annoying when lazy painters get overspray on things that should not have body color...just lazy.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:09 PM   #6
cj847

I am installing vintage air on the truck. Should I seam seal this part in? The VA instructions do mention closing off the inside vent but will this keep any trash out of the area?
Old 08-05-2020, 03:50 PM   #7
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Andy has blocked his off and urges others to do the same. I'm going to quote an old post of his -- I hope it helps. If you have more questions, you can do a search for more of his posts, or you can shoot him a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
If you have AC remove that flapper and block it off. Make sure it's sealed off good. Take the vacuum off the inside kick vent and leave it open all the time. You will thank me the first time you drive your truck with the AC on.
This mod has dropped the cab air after driving for a few minutes by 8*. It's like modern day AC set to max!
That flapper inside the cowl will not seal off tight and lets hot air into the cab all the time. By sealing it off you get max cold AC air the whole time your AC is running.
My 71 has been like this now for years and it get's cold enough to have to cut the AC off it so cold. I'm telling you it just keep's sending the cold air back through the evaporator and keeping it cooler.
A lot of guys will say you can't get fresh air but yes you can by either opening the drivers side kick vent are rolling the window down are crack open the vent window.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 08-05-2020, 05:04 PM   #8
Davidf

Well, if you block it off, you can certainly still get fresh air, but not conditioned fresh air. I for one like to make things work as intended. If the outside flap is not sealing, fix that and move on.
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:06 PM   #9
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Andy has blocked his off and urges others to do the same. I'm going to quote an old post of his -- I hope it helps. If you have more questions, you can do a search for more of his posts, or you can shoot him a PM.

Not sure why you couldn't put the stock manual vent door back on the inside, then it would be just like the drivers side.... Maybe I don't understand how the Vintage Air works. Dunno'.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:14 PM   #10
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
Not sure why you couldn't put the stock manual vent door back on the inside, then it would be just like the drivers side.... Maybe I don't understand how the Vintage Air works. Dunno'.

LockDoc
Well, I don't know how VA works either, Leon -- just passing on what Andy said. When I worked on my A/C a few years ago, I put it all back to original condition.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Old 08-05-2020, 05:16 PM   #11
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker View Post
Well, I don't know how VA works either, Leon -- just passing on what Andy said. When I worked on my A/C a few years ago, I put it all back to original condition.

Maybe Andy or another VA owner will pop in and explain it to us.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:41 PM   #12
cj847

I am relatively sure that all VA systems (and any other aftermarket system) are recirculate only. They are on "Max air" all the time.

I just re-read the instructions and found the answer i had overlooked previously.

The current install instructions for the 67-72 is to permanently seal the kick panel vent. And to replace the cowl vent vacuum control with just a cap (ie- effectively disabling it - assuming you still have the return spring). And to seal the hole where the blower was. Other than leaking gaskets, rust holes, and opening a window that seals up all fresh air possibilities.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:00 PM   #13
cj847

I am relatively sure that all VA systems (and any other aftermarket system) are recirculate only. They are on "Max air" all the time.

I just re-read the instructions and found the answer i had overlooked previously.

The current install instructions for the 67-72 is to permanently seal the kick panel vent. And to replace the cowl vent vacuum control with just a cap (ie- effectively disabling it - assuming you still have the return spring). And to seal the hole where the blower was. Other than leaking gaskets, rust holes, and opening a window that seals up all fresh air possibilities.

Name:  cowl vent.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  93.4 KB

Name:  pass kick vent.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  81.4 KB

Name:  blower.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  80.8 KB