The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-30-2017, 06:06 PM   #1
CG
BlahBlahBlah

What did you scrimp on for your shop and later wished you wouldnt have?

I need a few things. Already have a couple of small welders, wish I would have got a decent one to begin with.

What have you purchased for your shop and wished you would have bought nicer from the beginning. Or on the other hand what did you buy for your shop that ended up overkill? (if there is such a thing haha.)

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 07:33 PM   #2
abig84

Re: What did you scrimp on for your shop and later wished you wouldnt have?

thats pretty much the story of my life, i always seem to buy the cheapest crap possible then wonder why all my stuff sucks. i definitely need to get a bigger air compressor im using like a 8 gallon from the 60s someone gave me. works ok but after zapping on of off a tire or two you have to wait a few minutes for it to catch up.

wish i ran thicker wire to the garage too. eventually ill do that too
abig84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:02 PM   #3
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Since my little shop was built there is so much stuff I have done to it, or never quite finished, that is just wrong ... Gotta love hindsite =)

Monroe Swap meet May 18-19.
Mike has the same spots for the NW guys he's had forever.
Lunch time BBQ at the spaces.
If you have stuff to sell bring it along.

If you have a question PM stllookn (Mike) here via the board.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=851291
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:13 PM   #4
In The Ten Ring

I wish I had never moved here. I have a small lot on a hillside, garage needs to be utterly gutted, house is pretty old, needs a lot of work. So much traffic on this street, lots of problems with burglary attempts.

Once I get the truck running again and mobile, I can start renovating the garage. I'll post before and after pics if I get it done.
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:36 PM   #5
100%Chevy

I built my shop 500' from the house.
Long ways to go to get to a bathroom!Sometimes,it's a close race!
So,I need to move it or add a bath.
Mike.
100%Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 10:08 PM   #6
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I bought a cheap work bench. It's a wobbly POS. And I use it all the time. I keep saying I'm going to replace it, but I never do.

On the other hand I have a really nice welder that I never use. I just dust it off.

I probably should have done it the other way around and got a good bench and a cheap welder.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 12:28 PM   #7
Coley

Smile Re: What did you scrimp on for your shop and later wished you wouldnt have?

...most guys end up scrimping on...the building itself, I know I did...lol.

Coley
2005 Chevy Silverado HD2500/Duramax
2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Coley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 07:12 PM   #8
special-K
Special Order

Nothing. I wait till I can get good stuff and am willing to do without till that happens. Also holding off (forever) till I get a proper shop together before buying certain tools/equipt. So, I have some tools that are ancient I've used forever and figure always will and I have tools so new they haven't been made yet. I buy a lot of used tools that are superior to new tools also. Tools that already outlasted someone else rather than brand new temporary junk.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-01-2017 at 06:23 AM.
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:46 PM   #9
pritch

I wish I woulda had the money for in-floor radiant heat. And bigger, of course, although at 1100 sq ft, it's bigger than my first house
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 12:34 AM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
I'm with CG. My wire welder is too small. It's a nice Lincoln wire welder but it just isn't big enough for what I try to do. I don't sweat it too much, I just drag out the 225 Lincoln stick welder and weld whatever I want.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:37 AM   #11
special-K
Special Order

Those little buzz boxes were the greatest thing since sliced bread forever...till the migs & tigs became more commonly available. Those can make a good welder out of you, but a good welder can do great things with those little Lincolns... on heavier stuff. That's all I have.

A heated floor is heaven. That's one thing I don't want to scrimp on, because once I retire I plan on being in the shop more than my house. I'll scrimp on my house to have that! My sister and brother-in-law moved to land they had in Maine. He put up a pole building (with 48" frost walls) and built a 2 story place to live at one end. The whole place is heated by a wood furnace outside. He can wake up, fix a coffee, and walk out into a warm shop... and the slab is plenty warm! If that ain't heaven...

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-01-2017 at 06:43 AM.
Old 08-01-2017, 08:18 AM   #12
Grumpy old man

It's funny how things work out ,When we were younger we had twice the house with half the garage. Now we are wanting half the house and three times the garage !
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:22 AM   #13
72freak
Rottenwood Garage Member

I bet everyone here can say the size of the building......if it was only bigger!

I always tell folks figure your size you need and double it.
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Custom Camper "Dump Truck"
1972 Chevrolet C-20 Suburban "Big Green"
1969 Chevrolet C-50 Wedge Hauler "Leonidis"
1966 C-10 2x4 short fleet 327 4 speed "Race Truck"
1952 Plymouth Cranbrook "Rican" (my grandfathers)
1931 Ford Model A Coupe "Black Beauty"
1930 Ford Model A truck "Club Cab" 4x4

Rottenwood Garage and Speed Shop.....where everything must be racy!

It's not just a hobby..It's a LIFESTYLE!!!

Thanks for nothing Barrett-Jackson

You cant fix stupid or teach accountability!

Time wasters, looky Lous and tire kickers are everywhere!
72freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #14
special-K
Special Order

I always dreamed of buying an old gas station on an old road and live in the office or a car shop and just close off a corner for living space. But I got married and raised a family.

If I can get into another place with enough ground, I'll build a machine shed for stashing projects, a shop building, and a parking building. I need a wood shop, too, and would maybe build a shed roof off one of the other buildings. I want a compound.

Tim

Old 08-01-2017, 10:15 AM   #15
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

I'm looking into a new "shop" for next spring, but limited on size because of my lot orientation. I can do a 28x30-ish. However, I plan to build a rear "straight through" door and have a 24' enclosed carport butted up at the back.

After having 4 vehicles repaired due to hail (a couple of them twice) and with a pretty hefty price tag, my wife if fully on board. Just have to figure out how much I want to spend and how long I want to pay it back.

Metal building would be the quickest and cheapest, but our home, even though it's only 20 years old, has very limited storage space... a stick build with rafter storage (or maybe game room???) would be kick ass. The concrete is the killer. It's gotten so expensive and due to a hill I'll probably need a 2-3' knee wall on one side.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 03:49 PM   #16
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ChevyRedneck View Post
I'm looking into a new "shop" for next spring, but limited on size because of my lot orientation. I can do a 28x30-ish. However, I plan to build a rear "straight through" door and have a 24' enclosed carport butted up at the back.

After having 4 vehicles repaired due to hail (a couple of them twice) and with a pretty hefty price tag, my wife if fully on board. Just have to figure out how much I want to spend and how long I want to pay it back.

Metal building would be the quickest and cheapest, but our home, even though it's only 20 years old, has very limited storage space... a stick build with rafter storage (or maybe game room???) would be kick ass. The concrete is the killer. It's gotten so expensive and due to a hill I'll probably need a 2-3' knee wall on one side.

You might check into this:

http://members.zumatel.net/leon429/woodfdn.html

I haven't priced any foundation grade wood for quite a few years but my house and garage are 17 years old with no problems. The nice thing is you can do it yourself and save on the labor....

LockDoc

-
Old 08-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #17
special-K
Special Order

A pole building that size can have an attic.

Tim

Old 08-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #18
davischevy

For the first time in years, I don't have a shop at home. My wife traded for the house we live in with the intention of selling and building on the property next door. We would take a hit if we sold the house in this real estate market so we have pretty much decided to sit tight, at least for a while.

My wife asked me today when I was going to start my shop.

The corner of our property out back has a corner that slopes toward the south, so I think I will build underground, sort of. I will pour concrete walls with truss roof. With foam insulation overhead it should be easy to heat and cool.

Now to answer the original question.

Welders and torches could not be put off. They came first.

What I put off was a Glass bead cabinet. I put it off for years because my friend had a cabinet I could use. I would gather up a pile of parts and go to his place. PIA. Now I can't imagine life without a blaster. I now have a hellacious sandblaster too.

A lift would be close second. I now have a two post and four post, and like the cabinet they make life a lot easier for an old fart.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:53 PM   #19
franken

I just have a suburban 2 car garage but on my 4th compressor. Now at serious quality for a home setup. Once you have air, all you want is more. Its a pretty big deal but what real shop has no air?
Maybe the cordless thing went by since I think the batteries fail too soon.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 10:51 PM   #20
pritch

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post

The corner of our property out back has a corner that slopes toward the south, so I think I will build underground, sort of. I will pour concrete walls with truss roof. With foam insulation overhead it should be easy to heat and cool.
We built a nice, big shop for this rich dude over to Park City-underground like that. He had the money to just have us remove the hillside, build the garage, then put the hillside back. He had an on-going battle with the city over him having a helo-port on the roof, so we did a pan deck, like a parking structure. In the end, the city refused to let him land his helicopters in town, so that's when he decided to bury the whole thing. Only thing you can see from the road now are the overhead doors. Fun job. As soon as we started digging we ran into a vein of those quartz crystals. You could pick up a bucketful in 5 minutes. I still have a few of the really nice ones around here somewhere. I haven't thought about that job in a while, thanks for the reminder!
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 02:15 AM   #21
In The Ten Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post
We built a nice, big shop for this rich dude over to Park City-underground like that. He had the money to just have us remove the hillside, build the garage, then put the hillside back. He had an on-going battle with the city over him having a helo-port on the roof, so we did a pan deck, like a parking structure. In the end, the city refused to let him land his helicopters in town, so that's when he decided to bury the whole thing. Only thing you can see from the road now are the overhead doors. Fun job. As soon as we started digging we ran into a vein of those quartz crystals. You could pick up a bucketful in 5 minutes. I still have a few of the really nice ones around here somewhere. I haven't thought about that job in a while, thanks for the reminder!
So he "had the money" but clearly didn't realize living in a city might limit what he could do with his own property.

I'll bet if he had built outside city limits, he could have had two heli-pads on his garage roof. (I'd like to have one on my dream garage roof also).
In The Ten Ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 04:16 AM   #22
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

I just added on to my shop. Now I have twice the space. If I could only get rid of that smell.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 10:18 AM   #23
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
I just added on to my shop. Now I have twice the space. If I could only get rid of that smell.
I bet you don't do much wrenchin' in the lower level....

LockDoc

-
Old 08-03-2017, 01:06 PM   #24
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by In The Ten Ring View Post
So he "had the money" but clearly didn't realize living in a city might limit what he could do with his own property.

I'll bet if he had built outside city limits, he could have had two heli-pads on his garage roof. (I'd like to have one on my dream garage roof also).
My back yard fence is the city limits. The land I will put my shop on is not in the city limits. I will bet I still have trouble with the city.

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:08 PM   #25
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post

Paul, just set them over a manhole, do some remodeling inside and you will have room for a lift. Also will help with the smell if you keep the manhole cover.