The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-03-2018, 05:11 PM   #1
Socalrider87

New here

I’m new on here and wanted to post our new truck. My grandpa just picked it up off of an old friend. I’m not familiar with these and wanted to see if anyone has any pictures of similiar ones both factory or custom. Trying to get an idea on the direction to go with it. Thanks I’m advance and look forward to building it!
Attached Images

Socalrider87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
35boulder

Re: New here

Nice looking truck. You will get lots of help here and opinions. I'm in the camp of keeping them original. But its your truck. Enjoy.
35boulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
jocko

Welcome to the forum. Here's a little picture doctorin for you
Great truck, Longhorn (extra 6" bed extension in front, note the seam) and it appears to be a Custom Camper(?) (hard to see the nameplate). Seems a great candidate to keep it just like it is or restore to original. We'd love to see a picture of the SPID (Service Parts ID, pasted inside the glovebox door). Curious what the small door is at the front of the bed - at first glance, thought it was an aux fuel door, but looks more like a plug in of some sort... Camper elec maybe? Or maybe just a fuel door - I see you have saddle tanks.. I don't think I've ever seen one added in front of the Longhorn seam before! They were dealer or owner add-ons, so could be in slightly different locations depending on installer. BTW, the Longhorn emblem is in the wrong spot, but it is indeed a Longhorn truck.
Thanks for sharing!
Attached Images

jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:23 PM   #4
leddzepp

Welcome to the board neighbor! I would just maintain it and drive it as is.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:30 PM   #5
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Nice truck, congrats and welcome aboard! I would probably also keep it stock especially if it's mostly original now. But it's yours, do whatever makes you happy!

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:10 PM   #6
70LonghornCST

Welcome, fellow Longhorn owner. Nice truck
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:11 PM   #7
70LonghornCST

Oh, I'd keep it stock if I owned it
1970 Chevy Longhorn
  • Bucket Seats
  • Shoulder Belts
  • Front Tow Hooks
  • Factory Air
  • Factory Speedwarning, Tach & Vaccum
  • Factory Tilt
  • CST Package
  • AM/FM Radio
  • Bumper Guards
Richard

70 Longhorn CST Build

Adding an AM/FM Decal
70LonghornCST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:30 PM   #8
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Lost of guys have a lot of options with these trucks.

I have a 1968 longhorn fully loaded 396 th400 AC power steering and brake.Plus roof lights.

Now these are some draw back on the longhorn and use being in Calif Anything over 7500 pounds is a 1 ton anything that has the Tag of 7500 pounds is 3/4 ton.Here in calif we are paying 175.00 to 250.00 per year for are 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.

Now if your going to do a lot of driving and wanting mileage out of it Then going to the LS motor with the 4l80E will be a blessing.Plus it will make your truck be worth more.

CCP make a 1/2 ton disc brake spindle that will take the 3/4 ton ball joint and you can use all the bushings as what your 3/4 ton truck uses You could change the Springs for a smooth ride.

the rear ends are really easy to find for are long horns cus there Leaf springs can't get any better then that.

Drive shaft bolts up need to change 1 U joint for the back to a smaller U joint cus 3/4 ton is bigger.Now you can run the 6 lug pattern or the 5.

The 4l80E works good in are trucks cus we have the high trans tunnel Other then that you can get a lot better gas mileage.

Some guys have ran saddle plastic tanks with french doors on ether side.You and i know its a bear to go to a gas station and every one is filling up on the drivers side.

Remember to Keep all your old parts that you take off your old truck cus some day you might want to go back factory.

One safety tip put a weld on both bottom bolts of your tail gate We have a lot of thief's steeling really straight tail gates and put in a tracking device in your truck.These are on the 15 most wanted to steal
Attached Images

stsalvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:44 PM   #9
RTHarvey

I will chime in with the "leave it alone and stay original" crowd. It looks like it is in nice shape, and although probably not truly "rare", it is, with those options, uncommon. Especially being un-fooled-with. This is a situation where you could spend $10,000 on mods and decrease the value by $5000. (ask me how I know) But, like the guy said, it is your truck.
RTHarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:42 PM   #10
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
If that is original paint that is just oxidized you will be surprised how well it will polish up, if you take your time and don't get too aggressive with it. Go over it with "Turtle Wax White Polishing Compound" by hand and put a couple of coats of a good paste wax on it. Yes, it's a lot of work but that way you will not burn through the paint and it will make it look like a million bucks.....

I'm also with the clean it up and drive it crowd.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 04-03-2018 at 11:00 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:48 PM   #11
treveiger

Clean it up and drive it would be my choice too. Tearing it apart just means you can't enjoy it for a while.
Old 04-04-2018, 12:38 AM   #12
Socalrider87

Thanks for rotating the picture. The door in front of the seem are both fuel doors not electric plug ins, i wish they were tho. I did check for the SPI but there’s not one in the glove compartment. Is there any other way I can research what came on the truck factory? We have several things we need to do/ Work on first;
New tires, currents are dry rotted, thinking about getting white walls
Fluids change, where can I find the refill specs?
Radio doesn’t turn on and checked the fuses already
Tune up, wires, plugs, cap

I am leaning towards keeping it stock I would like to find a picture of the truck we have as it came from the factory to try and keep it original, for instance how the “Longhorn” badge is in the wrong location, thanks for pointing that out. Like i said I’m new to this realm but am very excited to learn about the truck and work on it with my grandpa.
Socalrider87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:48 AM   #13
projectking

‘68 Longhorns had the emblem above the marker. Is it possible it’s had a bed swap?
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:16 AM   #14
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

If your looking for a good 16 inch tire that will last you a long time like 200,000 miles look up the Michelin Rib tire from tire rack There a little pricey But worth the bang for the dollar they can hold up to 3100 pounds per tire they drive like Cadillac's One of the smoothed tires on the market.

I run the ford rims the 16X7 and use date correct hub cap's like whats on my 1972 blue 3/4 ton
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2018, 10:37 AM   #15
demian5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsalvage View Post
Here in calif we are paying 175.00 to 250.00 per year for are 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.
What are you smoking (only 3/4 and 1 tons?), I pay $175 a year for my 1/2 ton and $185 for my 3/4.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 08:05 PM   #16
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Here are the Rims and the hub caps That i talked to you in the privet message
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2018, 08:18 PM   #17
stsalvage
Scrapper 1

Now the hub caps come in Painted black with the gold Bow tie with the stainless on the shinny parts of the hub cap.You can paint them up any way you want.

Some guys paint that black section the color of there truck and leave the gold bow tie I like them all Chrome and shinny with the Gold bow tie they stick out

I paint my rims Black I use to run a trim ring on the outer side of the Rim But sense i used my trucks for so much hauling they tend to come off if i hit a Deep Pot hole here in Calif.

The tire i'm showing you with what is left after 100,000 miles and 7 years being on my truck tire is starting to show side wall cracks not bad but there there.

This tire has so much rubber on top you can Re grove them with a Hot Knife to add another 40,000 to the tire.But they ride like bias ply tires tires an they suck.Trust me when you drive on these tires for 6 months you will love them under your 3/4 1 ton or dully pick up

these tires are 235/85/16 E rated 3042 per tire dully uses the 215/85/16 there a skinny tire
Attached Images