The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-21-2015, 08:42 PM   #1
RedRoad

Show me your rock sliders and belly pans

Looking for ideas on purchasing or building my own rock sliders for the white whale. Going to keep it at 3.5 inches of lift with the 315s and I know that the rockers are going to get bashed up more than they already are without any.

Dont want any that stick out too far like the old school nerf bars that doubled as a step.

I already got the crossmember to add on the TC shield but have been thinking to add a whole sheet of steel so I can drag if necessary and not kill the driveshaft or let the mufflers catch some tall grass on fire. Anyone seen anything like this yet on a burb?

Show me what has worked for you on the trail to help save your rides sheet metal.

If the mods think I might get better response in the 4x4 section please feel free to move the topic over there. Thanks
RedRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:04 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Show me your rock sliders and belly pans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoad View Post
Looking for ideas on purchasing or building my own rock sliders for the white whale. Going to keep it at 3.5 inches of lift with the 315s and I know that the rockers are going to get bashed up more than they already are without any.

Dont want any that stick out too far like the old school nerf bars that doubled as a step.

I already got the crossmember to add on the TC shield but have been thinking to add a whole sheet of steel so I can drag if necessary and not kill the driveshaft or let the mufflers catch some tall grass on fire. Anyone seen anything like this yet on a burb?

Show me what has worked for you on the trail to help save your rides sheet metal.

If the mods think I might get better response in the 4x4 section please feel free to move the topic over there. Thanks

This forum is a little slow at times but lets leave it here for a day or two and see what happens. Vectorit may be able to give a little insight if he pops in.... I can always move it over there for you if you don't get any replies here.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 09:41 PM   #3
RedRoad

Thanks! I ran into Vectorits FB profile and shot him a friend request, Id like to see what he has to say

Last edited by RedRoad; 12-21-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 11:18 AM   #4
magicoolbus

I am interested as well. There are enough 4x4 burb owners for this thread to gain some traction here without getting moved. IMO.
1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 12:19 PM   #5
Bigdav160

A little google search found potential square body Blazer parts. 4x4 Armor (out of business?)

Looks easy enough to extend to Suburban length
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:56 PM   #6
bigblue 72

i also own 2 early broncos. A company called bc broncos makes awesome rock sliders that are 1/4" thick and are formed to the rocker. i wish somebody made some like this for the suburban. I've thought of asking em what it cost to do a run of em
bigblue 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:16 PM   #7
twistedchevy

Bump
72 c10 GMC burb 350/400, with 67 Chevy front clip(grocery getter)
Ours: 67 c30 tow truck
70 c10 long bed 383stroker w/digital gauges(work truck)
twistedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:58 PM   #8
RedRoad

Anyone have a source for the Canadian mid 70s 1/4 inch plates?
Old 03-10-2016, 12:53 PM   #9
vectorit
What?

The best thing to do I think, is to draw sketches of what you want.
Then locate a fabrication shop in your neighborhood, and see if they are willing to look at your designs and work a deal with you.

Here is an article I saw a while ago, where the guy did his own work. But you can use his design to start from, or to show the fab shop what you are thinking about if you are not a very good artist.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/project-v...suburban-2500/

Not many people are building purpose built 4x4 Suburbans, so I would be very surprised to find a fab shop that makes and caries Suburban sliders and armor on their shelves.

There was a shop in the San Diego CA area that was building nice high clearance front and rear bumpers for 67-72 trucks, but for the life of me I can't think of the name yet. But I will look around to see if I can find the thread here about it, since he was soliciting here for a donor truck to build off of.
vectorit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 05:02 PM   #10
RedRoad

Thanks Chris, not looking for anything too crazy. Since the burb is sooo long and I want to keep the center of gravity low I just want something to slide a bit if the breakover is too much.

Simple is better for me and the Canadian CUCV plate what I was looking for. I think its mounted backwards in this photo as the tcase is mounted higher and doesnt drop down below the cross member like stock

I might be able to get the plate in my press so buying a gas setup to make it a bit easier may be the ticket. Since I want to make a factoryish brush guard the torch will come in handy and if it looks good maybe sell a few to pay it off.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #11
Orange Crate

I am also interested in a transfer case skid plate option. Does anyone have any more info on the Canadian CUCV set up? More pics maybe or a source for those vehicle parts?