The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-11-2018, 10:01 AM   #1
macdaddy70

factory steering wheel installation issues

1970 GMC...pulled the OE steering wheel (non tilt) to install a new hazard switch. I go to install the wheel and cant get the splines to align for the wheel to slip onto. It will slip over splines without the cancel cam but does not want to with the cam installed. I have 1 thread exposed with the wheel and could torque it with a ratchet, but I figure that will do more harm than good. I have been struggling with this for a while...I just want to drive. Any suggestions?
macdaddy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:47 AM   #2
dmjlambert

Re: factory steering wheel installation issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy70 View Post
1970 GMC...pulled the OE steering wheel (non tilt) to install a new hazard switch. I go to install the wheel and cant get the splines to align for the wheel to slip onto. It will slip over splines without the cancel cam but does not want to with the cam installed. I have 1 thread exposed with the wheel and could torque it with a ratchet, but I figure that will do more harm than good. I have been struggling with this for a while...I just want to drive. Any suggestions?
The cam has a tower that sticks up through a hole in the steering wheel hub. Are you getting that lined up and through the hole?
Attached Images

dmjlambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:06 AM   #3
macdaddy70

I got it...Not sure if this is common but I remembered when I pulled the wheel that the steering shaft had about 1/2-1 inch on play up and down. I pulled up on the shaft and voila I was able to seat it ln the splines and tighten the nut. I had taken it off a couple months ago, then had back surgery. Trying to get back into it.
macdaddy70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy70 View Post
I got it...Not sure if this is common but I remembered when I pulled the wheel that the steering shaft had about 1/2-1 inch on play up and down. I pulled up on the shaft and voila I was able to seat it ln the splines and tighten the nut. I had taken it off a couple months ago, then had back surgery. Trying to get back into it.

It sounds like you may be missing some parts at the base of your column on the engine side. Compare this picture to the lower end of your column and make sure the large washer and spring are there.

LockDoc
Attached Images

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote