The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-04-2022, 03:31 PM   #1
conoco

Finally completed the rear disc replacement on my ho52!!

I had this kit for about 6 months but was rebuilding my transfer case and installing the gear vendors unit so It just sat on my work bench. What a welcomed difference. The drum brake pads are almost nonexistent. The install was one of the easiest I have done. It helps that taking apart the wheels and hubs on the eaton is super easy. After I did this I decided to just replace all the brake lines. They were looking aged so that took some time. I am please with everything. More importantly I am happy that I don't have to search for parts anymore and the brake pads are easy to purchase and quick to change. I did opt for the calipers with the e-brake. That was non-negotiable for me but was an extra 200 ( well worth it) You will need to replace the proportional valve if you do this swap. I have a 72 with disc front and drum rear. I initially used that proportional valve at first, as I heard that some people were able to retain that with no problems. My first test drive the brakes were very spongy and soft even after bleeding them. Once I change the valve they feel awesome. My proportional valve was super old though also and flaring some of the lines while on the truck was a pain in the butt for access. Pretty happy thus far!

* side note- Those drums were by far the heaviest I have ever felt in my life. I have had a lot of people offer good money for them but I need to hold on to them. Never know if the future if I will need them and they are very very hard to find! Here's to 50 more years on the eaton!! Truck officially turned 50 this month!

Also, I did not have to change out my lugs. I will eventually but I still have 5/8 thread engagement and it is running good.

* e brake cable will need to be modified. I went to napa and bought a standard 25 inch cable. I cut off the mounting bracket on the old one ( The one that has the screw mounts for the old backing plate. Once I took that off I cut the new line I bought to the length I needed and welded small nuts onto the ends with plenty of wire engagement. This allowed me to use them the same as any brake cable to hooks onto the metal piece that is used anyway. It was really easy and I am probably not explaining it very well so sorry if you cant get a visual. I will take some pictures and add them.

Be safe everyone!
Attached Images

Last edited by conoco; 05-04-2022 at 03:36 PM. Reason: added more info
conoco is offline   Reply With Quote