The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-08-2018, 10:19 AM   #1
jfnar

Wheel cover advice needed please

I'm attempting to use full P01 wheel covers with the wheels shown below. The PO called them ralleys but I'm not sure. I probably should have had the wheels sandblasted but I'm low on time and $$ so I just sanded them and brushed a coat of POR Hardcoat on. They appear to have had multiple previous coats of paint on them. They cured for a couple weeks before putting on the tires and then 6 or 8 weeks before I put the covers on. The wheel covers were very tight and difficult to put on. I used a rubber hubcap mallet and pounded them all in as far as they would go but I lost one after about 50 miles of driving. As you can see the cover took quite a bit of the black paint with it. Is it possible that too many coats of paint are making the fit too tight? Should I sand that area down to metal and re-paint? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Attached Images

jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:16 PM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: Wheel cover advice needed please

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfnar View Post
I'm attempting to use full P01 wheel covers with the wheels shown below. The PO called them ralleys but I'm not sure. I probably should have had the wheels sandblasted but I'm low on time and $$ so I just sanded them and brushed a coat of POR Hardcoat on. They appear to have had multiple previous coats of paint on them. They cured for a couple weeks before putting on the tires and then 6 or 8 weeks before I put the covers on. The wheel covers were very tight and difficult to put on. I used a rubber hubcap mallet and pounded them all in as far as they would go but I lost one after about 50 miles of driving. As you can see the cover took quite a bit of the black paint with it. Is it possible that too many coats of paint are making the fit too tight? Should I sand that area down to metal and re-paint? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Not like any ralleys I have seen.

You could try stripping it down to bare metal and putting a light coat on it but I would say that the wheels are just different enough that you will be lucky to keep them on....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 11:54 PM   #3
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Those appear to be an aftermarket wheel to me (I forget what they are called) and do not have the bead ridge that helps a full wheel cover stay on...even if it has to be hammered on.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 07:06 AM   #4
special-K
Special Order

Those appear to be what GM offered on squarebodies for a while. You can tell because they are stamped. I don't think the paint is the issue and you should have no problem mounting wheel covers on these wheels. The issue is in the wheel covers. They are known for flying off at times. I guess the clips get sprung or something. If the wheel cover isn't bottoming out on that first step in the rim then the covers should work. Rim design was once a standard thing on steel wheels and any 15" wheel cover should fit any 15" wheel. I've put PO1s on chrome saw blade wheels before, as well as many other aftermarket ones. The truck in picture has the 8" chrome wheels
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 10:53 AM   #5
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I agree with Special-K the wheel covers are the problem. I am using P01's on my truck mounted to original powdercoatd rallys and when I first put them on I kept losing one. I bent the clips on the wheel cover and its been on for 2 years now with no issues.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:08 PM   #6
jfnar

Thanks for the info. I'm on the hunt for a replacement cover now. I'll make sure it's as tight at the others and I'll check them all each time I drive it to see if any loosen up. I'm also going to write my name and phone # on the inside of each of them on the off chance that someone would call me if they find a runaway.
jfnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:20 PM   #7
special-K
Special Order

Good idea! I recommend that to everyone with PO1s

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:37 PM   #8
demian5

Sell me those GMC caps and that will pay for a set of used wheels.
1983 K2500 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2
Instagram: C10sofOC
demian5 is offline   Reply With Quote